Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide extension on highway

We evidently had an hydraulic line fail when we retracted the passenger side slide of our '05 Journey and did not know it. The reduced pressure allowed the forward portion of the slide to extend about ten inches. The aft portion is still flush with the coach.

When noticed in mirror we pulled over and called the dealer tech support and were told it would be ok to continue to a repair facility since no further movement appeared likely.

Coach is now at Freedom RV in Tucson awaiting repair.

Anyone have experience with this type problem? I would like to be as informed as possible when dealing with the service center. By the way, the Winnie dealer could not see us until the 30th. Still high season here which makes it tough on transients.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
We evidently had an hydraulic line fail when we retracted the passenger side slide of our '05 Journey and did not know it. The reduced pressure allowed the forward portion of the slide to extend about ten inches. The aft portion is still flush with the coach.

When noticed in mirror we pulled over and called the dealer tech support and were told it would be ok to continue to a repair facility since no further movement appeared likely.

Coach is now at Freedom RV in Tucson awaiting repair.

Anyone have experience with this type problem? I would like to be as informed as possible when dealing with the service center. By the way, the Winnie dealer could not see us until the 30th. Still high season here which makes it tough on transients.
yep,
that's why i always use the 2 provided slide securing straps on my fwd slide and have installed another strap on the rear slide.
in addition to the straps, i have cut 3 2x4's to the necessary length and install 2 of them in the fwd slide overhead and 1 in the rear slide overhead. i attach red ribbons to the 2x4's to remind myself to remove them before extending the slide.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Could be a solenoid. When they leak/fail the slide can creep, though that is normally somewhat equal end-to-end when I've seen it. Blown/leaking hose should leave a mess someshere.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Don't worry about not having straps on, all they do is pull the facia off. Ask us how we know. lol
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
Don't worry about not having straps on, all they do is pull the facia off. Ask us how we know. lol
Pretty flimsy, isn't it Bea. When we had the 04 Journey I always wondered why they even bothered.

In our 2011 Itasca our one slide has a bar to keep it from sliding out - and it works well. What I like about this bar is that the key for the slide mechanism is attached to it. As long as that bar is in place we can't open the slide - we have to take the bar out and use the key. Thus, no risk of running out the slide with the bar in place.

Don
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I suppose that I can use the 2x4 or dowel trick in the future, but for now I need to address the extended slide and hydraulic failure. The leak is evident in the compartment forward of the propane tank, so it is not the solenoid which is under the entry steps. It is either a ruptured hose or faulty connection. I have not heard back from Freedom RV yet, but will drive over tomorrow to encourage them to get started. I understand that HWH had some faulty hose in the early 2000s and this may be related since this is a 2005 coach.

To add insult to injury I have now found impact damage to the to RF tire of the toad and will need to get a new tire tomorrow as well. What is that line about raining and pouring?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Could be worse.
Think about being stuck in the stick house!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Update

Freedom RV in Tucson seems to be doing a very good job with the extended slide. They were able to get the slide retracted without difficulty or damage, and identified the problem quickly. Turns out there is a short metal hydraulic line near the aft scissors assembly of the slide that was slightly out of place and rubbing the scissor assembly. It finally wore through to create a pin hole leak and subsequent loss of fluid and pressure.

It requires some interior dis-assembly to get at the failed line, so considerable labor is used. Hoping the extended warranty covers that, but at least it looks like we will not be delayed too long.