Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I noticed today a slight tear away (2 inch) on the front edge of my rear slide cover. All is still attached but, I'd like to repair before tear gets worse. I'm looking for an esthetic looking repair but strong enough to do the job. Ideal to me would be small patch of same material cover is made of...but do not know where to buy that small quantity. Second choice would be opaque or clear patch edge fold of vinyl held together with clear "RV Goop". Anyone have similar succesful fix..or workable fix suggestion?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I noticed today a slight tear away (2 inch) on the front edge of my rear slide cover. All is still attached but, I'd like to repair before tear gets worse. I'm looking for an esthetic looking repair but strong enough to do the job. Ideal to me would be small patch of same material cover is made of...but do not know where to buy that small quantity. Second choice would be opaque or clear patch edge fold of vinyl held together with clear "RV Goop". Anyone have similar succesful fix..or workable fix suggestion?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
doc
Winnebago Owner

We had a limb fall on the slide topper on the coach we just sold. This was a few years back. Hole about the size of a quarter with one edge still attached. I had some Eternabond left from a seal job and figured this might work until could get a real awning patch. I cut a two inch square piece and pressed it in place. It held immediately. My mistake was not putting it on the underside of the awning so it could not be seen. This was several years ago and my 'temporary' patch was still holding as firmly when we sold the coach last month as it was the day I applied it. Works great.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I repaired mine last fall and it's holding fine so far.

Bought some vinyl reinforced fabric at a business that makes awnings. Also bought some adhesive, HH-66 vinyl cement, at the same place.
The fabric color was not exactly the same color but was close enough and the patch is on the top anyhow.

When I have to replace the toppers I'm thinking about making them myself with the same fabric and adhesive. On the internet I can buy enough material to do all three toppers for under $150 compaired to over $550 to buy the ready made A & E toppers replacement fabric.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

i used a hot glue gun (clear glue) to repair a 2 inch cut in my rear slide cover about a year ago. still looks good.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I had both my toppers start to tear at the leaqding edge right where the fabric slides into the slot on the side of the motorhome. Really a poor way to attach the fabric.

I replaced both with the toppers that have the aluminum cover. They attach differently and no signs of wear in 2 years. They cost a little more but I think the extended life expectancy of the fabric will more than pay for the upgrade. Plus, they look better.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Also had some slight tears at certain edges. Purchased some 'white' duct tape from Home Depot. Lowes does not carry this brand. Brand is Nashua. This tape is not as thick as the Nashua 557 I use for eveything else, but a couple of layers works well. Color not a perfect match, but acceptable.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I did about the same as NoMoreAZ, except I used clear duct tape. Folded it around edges of topper and it has held for 3 years now. No one has noticed the patch job. Knowing it won't hold forever, I'm thinking I may not replace them at all. All the slideouts I've seen on 5th wheelers and trailers do not have toppers. Having said that, if I change my mind and do replace them I'll definitely have an aluminum cover installed.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35'
Art E is offline   Reply With Quote