Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slide bringing in water

After I retracted my slide on my new 2108TB at the end of my first overnighter, I was greeted by dripping water inside the trailer on my final check. It had rained the day before but not the morning of our departure. I contacted the dealer and was told that they do that and may want to consider a slide topper. My routine hasn't changed since my last trailer and never experienced water intrusion from the slide. The rubber all looks good surrounding the slide. Today I'm going to take a hose and see if water pools on the roof of the slide. If this is the case, then a topper may be the solution. My dealer says they will inspect my slide but they are 100km's away and over two weeks until an available appointment! I'm wondering if others find the need to dry off their slide before retracting.
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Don, having a topper may not alleviate the problem unless rain is coming straight down. I don't have a TT but on the MH the manual says to tilt the MH to get rid of any excess water.

So, maybe just before you hook up you could jack the tongue up a few more inches to get the excess to run off.

You also want to make sure the wiper seals are clear of any debris. Without a topper pine needles and other items of nature can cause water to transfer in.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Don, having a topper may not alleviate the problem unless rain is coming straight down. I don't have a TT but on the MH the manual says to tilt the MH to get rid of any excess water.

So, maybe just before you hook up you could jack the tongue up a few more inches to get the excess to run off.

You also want to make sure the wiper seals are clear of any debris. Without a topper pine needles and other items of nature can cause water to transfer in.

Good luck.
Thanks, I agree and believe a topper is intended to protect the slide from solids like tree branches, needles, pine cones etc. Using the jack to help any standing water to run-off is a good idea. My concern is that when my trailer is setup and level, the roof and the top of the slide should be sloped/curved in a manner to not allow for water to pool. If this is happening on a new trailer model, then maybe some design improvements are needed.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The way I see most slides made, I think its impossible to always make things 100% water tight, as slides do move. When I park I check the trailer to make sure the slide side is no higher then the other side, and if its close I will add a small lift to the other side, especially if rain is forecasted.
PS, my 2108ds is stored in my barn when not in use, so stays really dry most of the time. However when I used it once in real heavy rain, I did notice it was wet when I brought it in, but with that side being lower it dried easy. I always put it away dry.
Larry2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
After I retracted my slide on my new 2108TB at the end of my first overnighter, I was greeted by dripping water inside the trailer on my final check. It had rained the day before but not the morning of our departure. I contacted the dealer and was told that they do that and may want to consider a slide topper. My routine hasn't changed since my last trailer and never experienced water intrusion from the slide. The rubber all looks good surrounding the slide. Today I'm going to take a hose and see if water pools on the roof of the slide. If this is the case, then a topper may be the solution. My dealer says they will inspect my slide but they are 100km's away and over two weeks until an available appointment! I'm wondering if others find the need to dry off their slide before retracting.
100km is that English?
Chiefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Strong leaf blower to blow moisture off the slide before you bring it in?
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefig View Post
100km is that English?
Metric. 100 kilometers ~ 62.5 miles. (there are about 1.6 km in 1 mile)

I thought they still used miles in Canada, but apparently not!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It turns out that the top rubber seal/sweeper was detached. One of the slide motors quit while preparing for my next trip I've had some bad luck with my new trailer and will be happy when all of the bugs are worked out!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

bringing in a slide, without a vent, or a window open, creates a big vacuum.
even running an air conditioner in heavy rain has the same effect if the seals aren't tight.
ive seen this numerous times.\crack a vent and see if that helps.
paul maddox
pfmaddoxsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, water