Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
TEO
Winnebago Camper

I noticed on another forum that there is a discussion about using the bar or other anchoring device to ensure that the slides do not extend while traveling. The user's manual shows a strap used for that purpose, but my 2002 Journey has no such thing. There is no bar and there is no strap. There isn't even a bracket for the strap, so I assume that there never was one.

What's the situation? Should I be concerned? Should I fabricate some kind of system to prevent the slides from creeping out while traveling?

I may be too paranoid about this as it has never been a problem, yet.

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
TEO
Winnebago Camper

I noticed on another forum that there is a discussion about using the bar or other anchoring device to ensure that the slides do not extend while traveling. The user's manual shows a strap used for that purpose, but my 2002 Journey has no such thing. There is no bar and there is no strap. There isn't even a bracket for the strap, so I assume that there never was one.

What's the situation? Should I be concerned? Should I fabricate some kind of system to prevent the slides from creeping out while traveling?

I may be too paranoid about this as it has never been a problem, yet.

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My 2004 33V has a bracket and strap right behind the drivers seat for this purpose. I tried it out during our pre delievery inspection and have never used it since. You could order the strap and 2 bracket I suspect, but I can't see spending any money on it myself. Our rear slide doesn't have one. To me, if there was a problem, you would know right away as you are sitting so close it it.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Those straps and brackets are useless. The bracket is screwed into the trim of the slideout. If a 600-1000 pound slide decided it was going somewhere that cheap apparatus wouldn't even slow it down.

Do like the instructions say and run the slideout a few seconds after it's fully in. I look at mine in the mirror on a regular basis and would notice any creepout.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If you want the security of having something to lock the slide in while traveling, this bar is a far better solution than the strap.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...15674&src=SRQB

With the strap you may forget to remove it at some point and the slide moving out will rip the front fascia off.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have had the strap available for two motorhomes. Both MHs have had the strap rip the screws out of the trim because someone forgot to unsnap them. A Winnie worker told us that they never used to have the straps but they put them in to give some a feeling of security.

We never use them and if the slide is brought in as described previously, the slde stays in. We have gone over some pretty rough areas and had no problems.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
We have had the strap available for two motorhomes. Both MHs have had the strap rip the screws out of the trim because someone forgot to unsnap them. A Winnie worker told us that they never used to have the straps but they put them in to give some a feeling of security.

We never use them and if the slide is brought in as described previously, the slde stays in. We have gone over some pretty rough areas and had no problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Same here

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I'm not concerned about a slide creeping out.

Our front slide had a little strap, rear side not. We never used the front strap because we figured sooner or later the trim would be ripped off, and I eventually removed the bracket from the floor (just screwed into the floor through the carpet). We bought a bar to secure it, but I have managed to "forget" about it long enough now that the DW hopefully has totally forgotten we have it. I know if we had the bar in place and forgot to remove it (or someone didn't know it was in place) it would tear things to pieces if someone tried to extend the slide. (much like the time a small fire proof lock box got caught behind the slide lip on extension ...OUCH!!!) We had a red ribbon to put in place on the slide extend switch to tell us the bar was in place, but no one else would know what it meant. Now I have a neat expandable bar for some other use, if I can just figure out what that use is!!!