Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Slide alignment issue

I recently tried to retract the slide on my Minnie trailer and noticed one side binding as if out of alignment. Checked the manual. Talked to some buddies. Called Winnebago dealer. Got the same guidance. Tried extending slide all the way out and retracting an inch or two, then extending until motor ceased. Repeated quit a few times to re synchronize the motor as directed. No luck. May have gotten worse. Now when I try to retract the slide it comes in on right, a little on the left, binds up and stops. I can push and pull and get it in for the most part. Any ideas. Too bad the warranty didn't transfer. Any ideas??? Help!

BL
BlakeLanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

I’m no slide expert except for maintenance. Sorry you’re having this issue but welcome to the Winnebago forum.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Have you looked for anything that may be causing a roller to jam, like a dog toy or flip flop under the slide floor? How about looking at the slide tracks for any damage?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #4

Button, spoon, clothes pin. Could be anyth8ng.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem on my 13 Vista,come to find out that the "set"screw on the motor was stripped and the motor was turning so far then would stop.
Have your repair shop check the set screw on the motor to make sure it's not stripped or missing.
Just an FYI hope this will solve your problem.
DBiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
Sightseer 33C owner

Slide alignment issue

I have often contacted the part manufacturer direct and talked with a technical person. For example I had a jack problem and the tech diagnosed as bad solenoid and sent it free although a little out of warranty. I had a local auto/RV mechanic install it.
weluvss33c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I also have a Winnebago Sightseer 30A with slide problems. I have the dual track Limpert Schwintek slides. Ours failed in the fully out position. The actual failure was the nylon roller bearing mounted on the bearing block. This allowed the spur gear to move away from the linear gear track. When this happens the steel spur gear will strip the teeth off the aluminum linear gear track. (Bad news) The fix is to replace the aluminum gear track, spur gear, bearing block and the nylon roller bearings. (Not trivial) This appears to be a design failure because our specific 2014 Class A has failed twice. In 2016 and 2018(last month). You will need to remove the drive motors and physically push the slide/room back into your RV. Then the room needs to be blocked shut by screwing wooden blocks into the floor. Then you can safely travel to a repair location. Corporate Winnebago offered NO assistance other than ask if I purchased the extended warranty. Unfortunately NO. I am still in the process of replacing the damaged gear tracks. Lee I can supply detailed pictures if interested
Leevormelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hate to advise you but all Winnebago 33C have a design fault that was not disclosed by them. On the long slide they did not put a roller under the “island” causing it to bind up and destroy parts of slide out. I have contracted them with “no” reply.
Been in shop five weeks waiting repair parts from them. Of course out of warranty and I pay.
This is how they treat someone who is on their third Winnebago.
Very very disappointed in them. The good news is planning a factory tour this year and they have not hear the last from me. Call the local paper or tv station for a interview during visit.
ernied7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevormelker View Post
I also have a Winnebago Sightseer 30A with slide problems. I have the dual track Limpert Schwintek slides. Ours failed in the fully out position. The actual failure was the nylon roller bearing mounted on the bearing block. This allowed the spur gear to move away from the linear gear track. When this happens the steel spur gear will strip the teeth off the aluminum linear gear track. (Bad news) The fix is to replace the aluminum gear track, spur gear, bearing block and the nylon roller bearings. (Not trivial) This appears to be a design failure because our specific 2014 Class A has failed twice. In 2016 and 2018(last month). You will need to remove the drive motors and physically push the slide/room back into your RV. Then the room needs to be blocked shut by screwing wooden blocks into the floor. Then you can safely travel to a repair location. Corporate Winnebago offered NO assistance other than ask if I purchased the extended warranty. Unfortunately NO. I am still in the process of replacing the damaged gear tracks. Lee I can supply detailed pictures if interested
That does sound like a rather involved repair. I'd love to see the pics if you can share them with us.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernied7 View Post
Hate to advise you but all Winnebago 33C have a design fault that was not disclosed by them. On the long slide they did not put a roller under the “island” causing it to bind up and destroy parts of slide out. I have contracted them with “no” reply.
Been in shop five weeks waiting repair parts from them. Of course out of warranty and I pay.
This is how they treat someone who is on their third Winnebago.
Very very disappointed in them. The good news is planning a factory tour this year and they have not hear the last from me. Call the local paper or tv station for a interview during visit.
That's a shame, Ernie. Are you at a dealer for repair? I believe for something that critical, I'd make a factory appointment to have it fixed. (And give them an earful at that time!!) Good luck to you.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I would call Winnebago technical customer support at (800) 537-1885 and describe your problem to the technician. I have a motor home so you may get redirected to a number for trailers. When you call have your trailer serial number so the technician can look up your trailer to determine the specific parts used on your trailer and its repair history while under warranty. You may find the side was a problem in the past - if so you may have some warranty on the repair or at least have some leverage to get Winnebago to pay for the repair. Good luck!
SamFye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide