Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Anyone else having difficulty keeping a constant air pressure in their sleepnumber bed? Ours is fluctuating from a setting of 45 to 60 without doing anything. Coach parked and not moved. The only thing that changed was outside air temperature and possible air pressure. One time it was 45 in evening and 60 the next morning. And, yes, the pressure was set while laying on the bed. Most times the pressure increases and we never hear the pump come on. I'm puzzled by this and when I called Sleepnumber customer service they said it should not happen.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Anyone else having difficulty keeping a constant air pressure in their sleepnumber bed? Ours is fluctuating from a setting of 45 to 60 without doing anything. Coach parked and not moved. The only thing that changed was outside air temperature and possible air pressure. One time it was 45 in evening and 60 the next morning. And, yes, the pressure was set while laying on the bed. Most times the pressure increases and we never hear the pump come on. I'm puzzled by this and when I called Sleepnumber customer service they said it should not happen.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, temperature causes the number to change. Not a big deal, just adjust before you go to sleep.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Actually it's changes in the air pressure (outside, not the bed itself) that affects the air in the mattress. If a low pressure system or something comes in you will notice changes in the air, likewise if you go to a high altitude area. We have had an air mattress at home and in mh for 5 years. Finally got fed up at home and bought a reguar mattress. Will be trading up in the next year with the motorhome and WILL NOT get another air mattress, Sleep number or otherwise.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:33 AM   #5

LK23 and other Sleep Number owners,

We were instructed from the very begining, when we purchased our first Sleep Number System for our home, to always pump the matersses back up to the 100 setting when we got up for the day day. Then when we go to bed, when ever, we are to set the remote to our setting. My wife sets hers to 50 and I like 45. We have had Sleep Number Systems for more then 5 years, both at home and in our coach. You have to work the system and reset your setting everyday. If you don't you'll always find a different number because of the barimetric pressure and temperature. Once you get use to using you system this way, it becomes second nature when you get up for the day you pummp up the matress and to set your number when you retire for the night.

If you every have any questions about your Sleep Number System, call them 800-548-7231.

The Sleep Number System has been the best investment we have every made.

Tomcat F15
Old 02-27-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hey Tomcat, I remember reading on one of the forums about Sleepnumber bed that exploded while the motorhome was being driven over the mountains. Accoording to the post, the warranty did not cover the loss because the bed was not deflated before driving.

Since you inflate your bed to the max in the morning, it seems that this could happen if you are traveling at higher altitudes too. Just FWIW.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We don't have the Sleep Number brand but another similar and as I previously mentioned the air in the bladders do fluctuate with air pressure and altitude. I do remember on the first trip to Albuqueruqe that it ended up being over inflated to the point that it could have burst. This is a problem with any air mattress and if you have one and anticipate a high pressure system or going through high altitudes you need to remove air. What I didn't like is the change occuring while sleeping when a system came in and I have a serious problem with my muscles and joints and could not take the fluctuations. Even the slightest had an impact on my pain levels. I think the principle is good and if you don't have any problems with the air pressure changing your very lucky. It is a problem and nothing Select Comfort or any other company can do about it unless they find some kind of pressure regulator that works automatically and it doesn't sound like they have.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:08 AM   #8

Hey Cappy,

I should have explained that point, but that wasn't the question I was repling to. Although, anyone who owns a air mattress type bed should know the procedures they should follow when traveling. There are a few extras involved, but the rewards are far greater.

Yes, you should lower the pressure in your Air Mattress if your going to be in high elevations.

Tomcat F15