Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am going through the maintenance manuals to locate the grease fittings on my 2003 36 foot Journey DL. The manual gives different instructions based on the model of the Slack Adjuster on the vehicle. There are three options -- Gunite, Haldex and Meritor. Does anyone know the model of the slack adjuster for my vehicle?

By the way, I am doing the greese job because two companies (which I shall not name in this forum) told me that they had performed a grease job and neither of them did. It was pretty obvious that the fittings had not been cleaned or greased. I am a new RV owner of a used vehicle. Is this typical of the RV Service Industry. I was hoping for better.

Thanks,

36' 2003 Winnebago Journey
Dan Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am going through the maintenance manuals to locate the grease fittings on my 2003 36 foot Journey DL. The manual gives different instructions based on the model of the Slack Adjuster on the vehicle. There are three options -- Gunite, Haldex and Meritor. Does anyone know the model of the slack adjuster for my vehicle?

By the way, I am doing the greese job because two companies (which I shall not name in this forum) told me that they had performed a grease job and neither of them did. It was pretty obvious that the fittings had not been cleaned or greased. I am a new RV owner of a used vehicle. Is this typical of the RV Service Industry. I was hoping for better.

Thanks,

Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Dan,
You may have to get under the coach with a rag and wipe them off and look for some identification. If your manual does not say specifically, you could have any one of the brands. All are good products.

Note: Some slacks, I don't remember which, are very sensitive to the type (weight) and amount of grease used. A heavy grease has the tendency to force the adjusting screw mechanism apart enough that the screw contact is affected.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FleetMan:
Dan,
You may have to get under the coach with a rag and wipe them off and look for some identification. If your manual does not say specifically, you could have any one of the brands. All are good products.

Note: Some slacks, I don't remember which, are very sensitive to the type (weight) and amount of grease used. A heavy grease has the tendency to force the adjusting screw mechanism apart enough that the screw contact is affected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the advice. I did notice that the Meritor called for a different type grease than the other two. I will crawl under my unit and see if I can get some identifying numbers or names. I was hoping that Winnebago used one specific Slack adjuster for the Journey and another type for other Winnebago models.

Thanks,

Old 12-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Dan: I lube my own coach for the same reason. Also, don't forget the steering column which has a knuckle and lube fitting very high off the ground, a good reach even with long arms.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Dan

Don't know if you are near a Cummins South location where you are. I use them up here in Atlanta and they always do a good job for me. Hope that is not who did a bad job on your MH. If they are near, I would give them a try. Also join the Cummin's Power Club and when they work on the MH you get a discount on both parts and labor.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary CA:
Hi Dan: I lube my own coach for the same reason. Also, don't forget the steering column which has a knuckle and lube fitting very high off the ground, a good reach even with long arms. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary,
I will make sure I find those.
Thanks,

Old 12-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David K:
Dan

Don't know if you are near a Cummins South location where you are. I use them up here in Atlanta and they always do a good job for me. Hope that is not who did a bad job on your MH. If they are near, I would give them a try. Also join the Cummin's Power Club and when they work on the MH you get a discount on both parts and labor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

David,
I actually have a 330 HP Cat so I might not be welcome in a Cummins South shop.
For sure Cummins South was not one of the companies. I do appreciate your recommendation.

Thanks,