Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I picked up some vent covers on our shakedown cruise and with the weather improving I may have time to get them installed. Having installed these on 3 other campers I know the routine, however the Sightseer roof isn't the normal rubber roof. Any special suggestions or lessons learned I should be aware of before I venture up? I did a search but I didn't find anything addressing the issue. Thanks.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I picked up some vent covers on our shakedown cruise and with the weather improving I may have time to get them installed. Having installed these on 3 other campers I know the routine, however the Sightseer roof isn't the normal rubber roof. Any special suggestions or lessons learned I should be aware of before I venture up? I did a search but I didn't find anything addressing the issue. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've done a fair bit of maintenance and installation up on my roof, and did some on our previous Minnie 31C as well.

The biggest concern I would have is to make sure that it is not wet - that will let you slip pretty quickly and does not make a pretty picture.

I'm not real heavy (<200) and don't feel that there is any concern other than good safety practices in moving on the Winnebago roofs. The basic structure seems to be very capable of supporting routine maintenance trips up there.

The biggest problem I have is that my feet weren't designed to be off the ground - I don't like any heights.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
I picked up some vent covers on our shakedown cruise and with the weather improving I may have time to get them installed. Having installed these on 3 other campers I know the routine, however the Sightseer roof isn't the normal rubber roof. Any special suggestions or lessons learned I should be aware of before I venture up? I did a search but I didn't find anything addressing the issue. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you tip the scales at a quarter ton you should not have any problems walking on a Winnie roof. The fiberglass skin is less prone to damage then the rubber roofs. Just walk flat footed and be carefull not to slide off the arched surface. I walk with a cane, am 6 foot tall and around 250 lbs and have not had any problems walking the roof on either of the Winnies that I have owned.

As a precaution I don't walk right up to the edge of the skylight or vent openings and try to maintain a light step.

I had spent many hours on the roof of my previous Winnie when I scrubbed off 10 years of dirt from the previous owner and PolyGlowed it. The results were well worth it.

Shortly I will be installing a Ramble Vent cover on my current coach. Well the cover has been sitting on my work bench for a few months now but one of these days....
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 AM   #5

No problem walking on the roof....its not thick, but strong...

Be careful if its wet...it is VERY slick!!

I just pushed 2 feet of snow off it last week...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the feedback. I looked at that fiberglass roof and figured it would be slicker then ____ too.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have been on the roof many times but try to always walk along the center and never near an opening, mainly so as I do not cause a deflection that could cause a leak. I wash off twice a year and start working front to back.

When you are up there check the front seal and other penetrations.

Be very careful if wet, you will notice the pitch to each side.

I do not kneel on the roof to avoid to much pressure in one small area
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Listen to what is said: It is verrrry slick when wet. Get yourself a good pair of canvas deck shoes. I am able to stand up inside my RV port and hold on to the beams as I walk around.
Art D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Avoid stepping on the fiberglass end cap. I accidently stepped on the front cap (not too heavily either)and heard some nasty cracking sound. Didn't see any damage, but it got my attention fast and I won't do that again.

Ditto on the slippery!

A slip while washing caused me to step through the front vent cover and I wound up with my leg buried up to the crotch in the roof. It was lightening fast! I would have liked to have the video.

No real injury since the whole screen and cranking hardware broke away clean.

I was going to replace it with a Fantastic Fan anyway. Just did it sooner than expected.

Also, it might be wise to put the jacks down to stabilize. The bus can get to rocking with your movement which can aggrivate the balance/slipping hazard.

Wayne

sightseer 30B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the comments. Today the weather held and I was able to get up on the roof to install the MaxxAir Vent and Fan/Mate Covers. Roof felt very solid compared to the other rubber roofs I've been on before. But you were all right that stuff is slick when wet. I didn't stop on any water but did rest my hand on it once and proceeded to have it slip out from under me.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We really need to get up there and get a correct measurement of our vehicle height !! The book says 12'3 but I am not sure if that includes the roof a/c or not. I don't want to go camping next weekend without an accurate height. Chad was going to get up there last night but we had a light dusting of snow and it was WAY too slippery !!</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Shannone & Chad
Not to ask a silly question but why do you need a correct measurement of the vehicle height ? and why would that keep you from using your motorhome I'm not being sarcastic in asking.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Shannone & Chad
Not to ask a silly question but why do you need a correct measurement of the vehicle height ? and why would that keep you from using your motorhome I'm not being sarcastic in asking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We are headed 600 miles from home on roads I have never been on before. I want to know how tall we are so we can avoid low bridges !!</span>

Old 02-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I would get accurate measurements of the height, width, and the length. The height spec in our manual is from the top of the fiberglass roof (no vents, solar panel, sat dish, antennas, etc) to the ground.

The width is measured from sidewall to sidewall (no awnings, slide covers, grab handle, mirrors, etc).

The length is measured from the front fiberglass to the rear fiberglass (no ladder)

The first time we went to put ours in the garage we got quite a surprise. All the accessories on top barely fit under the 12' 6" door, and there's 1/4" to spare on either side of the mirror mounts (with the mirrors folded in) when going through the 10' wide door opening.

Fortunately the garage is 42' long because the total length of the coach with the ladder and towbar on the back is a little shy of 34" even though it's called a 32V.

I think they only give the actual body specs because there are so many hang on options available. The total height, width, and length of your coach is dependant on how many goodies you add.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

After Chad measures the height please post it. Good luck and have fun on your trip and try not to worry about to many things,but I've never measured the height of my motorhome.I'm one to talk I carry engine oil,distilled water,fuel filters, oil filters,transmission fluid and yes I'm anal
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think they only give the actual body specs because there are so many hang on options available. The total height, width, and length of your coach is dependant on how many goodies you add. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We ended up at 12.4 tall, 10 feet wide (at ourside of mirrors) and 36 ft long.</span>

Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think they only give the actual body specs because there are so many hang on options available. The total height, width, and length of your coach is dependant on how many goodies you add. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We ended up at 12.4 tall, 10 feet wide (at ourside of mirrors) and 36 ft long.</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The book specs that with the standard rooftop items, 12 feet 3 inches, however warns that this could change by several inches depending on how you load your RV.

Your measurement could still be substatially different from what you have on the road depending on how much water and gasoline is left in you tanks.

Use up 800 Lbs of water, 100Lbs of propane and 600Lbs of gasoline and your coach will be riding a bit higher then when it was full.

You measured 12.4 so allowing for bumps,sways and load differences then anything less then 13.5 would make me uncomfortable.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Neil you need to add 11" to the height? That seems pretty high. Assuming the gas take is full and the water tanks are not I can see maybe a 2-3" gain for an empty gas tank, but surely not 11"
Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
Neil you need to add 11" to the height? That seems pretty high. Assuming the gas take is full and the water tanks are not I can see maybe a 2-3" gain for an empty gas tank, but surely not 11" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roads have bumps and hills while motorhomes/large trucks are long and have large rear overhangs. While stationary or just crawling along you may just squeeze under but a bump, a bit of sway or even a minor incline going into or coming out from under a low overhead can change things quite a bit. Add to that a few inches change in height due to a lighter load of fuel or water then when you measured then you just compound it. It is good to maintain a margin of saftey to allow for this and just a few inches really is not enough.

Where I worked in at a wood mill in New England we had a truck driver that after fueling up in the yard always went under a particular railroad bridge on his way out of the yard but never did come back that way after he made his deliveries at the end of the day. One day our fuel island was out of order in the yard so he left with moderate load, an fairly empty tank and a gas card in hand to fill up at the station just past the bridge. He tore off about 3/4 of the roof on the 30 foot box truck going under.