Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
JVG
Winnebago Camper

I own a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser. I bought it new in 2001. In the last month I have been seeing small pops in the passengers side wall. They are about the size of a pencil eraser. They are any were from 1" to 1.5" apart and they are just above the metal piece between the upper sidewall and the basement storage compartments. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so what was the cause. I had the same problem in 2005 and Winnebago repaired it under warranty even though it was out of the original warranty. I am in the process of contacting Winnebago again.
JVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
JVG
Winnebago Camper

I own a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser. I bought it new in 2001. In the last month I have been seeing small pops in the passengers side wall. They are about the size of a pencil eraser. They are any were from 1" to 1.5" apart and they are just above the metal piece between the upper sidewall and the basement storage compartments. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so what was the cause. I had the same problem in 2005 and Winnebago repaired it under warranty even though it was out of the original warranty. I am in the process of contacting Winnebago again.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

JVG, welcome to the forum. It sounds like the beginning of some delamination, perhaps from a water leak or other reason for failure of the adhesive in the sidewall. We had a 1997 Adventurer with some delams and there were a few small ones in the area you mentioned....I found some water intrusion around a side marker light.

Let us know what Winne tells you.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

JVG,

We're wintering in Venice, FL and a couple from New Hampshire parked next to us for 4 days that had both sides replaced by Winnebago this fall for delamination. They said they were little bumps that appeared over time. The dealer told them it happens more in the north because the moisture that either gets behind the fiberglass or the moisture that's in the fiberglass from the start freezes and expands. They had to argue a little bit, but finally got the repair taken care of. Hope they will help you too.

Dave
Old 01-21-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

JVG: I have a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser and have had the exact same problem. Mine occurred in the 2nd year,(out of warranty). Mine occurred in the same places your has. If you wish to PM me, I can give you a complete run down of what took place and how it was handled. There is somewhere on this forum a great deal about this. It is not an isolated incident. It is (not) considered delamination by Winne.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Homer,

I think your warranty is longer than a year for delamination. I don't have my books handy or I'd look it up. A call to winnie customer service would tell you too.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

CHIPPSGT: According to Winnie tech lead, side wall is two years. I had just past the two year anniversary. They, (Winne), would not term it de-lamination. I agree it isn't the typical de-lamination problem. It was described as a bad shipment of panels from the sidewall manufacturer. They seemed to know about the problem but would not admit they had a problem. However, after much negotiation mine was fixed by a Fleetwood Service center with the ok of Winnebago and all has been good until last year, some more appeared in a different place. I repaired these myself until I see the extent of more time. Some guys had them pop all over their side walls, and they had to be replaced completely. It will sure affect re-sale value immensely, if left unrepaired.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
JVG
Winnebago Camper

Well the side wall "pops" are not delamination. They are coming from a bad batch of side walls from the fiberglass manufacturer. The current repair is a complete sidewall replacement. If you look at the new side wall panels they have a much thicker fiberglass panel. i would say at least three times as thick. I saw a 2002 Adventurer beung fixed. Both side walls were being replaced on this unit. The removed panels had thousands of these "pops" on them. At the present time Winnebago has denied my request to get them repaired. I am currently getting legal help. One thing that these defects will dois if you have them and try to trade your coach in most dealers are very aware of the problem and will adjust your trade in value accordingly. I also witnessed an late model Alfa See Ya with the same problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

JVG: I hope you will come back and keep us informed on your resolution with this problem. There are a few of us out here with the same problem. We got the same answer from Winnebago. The resale value of the coach is going to be severely diminished by these "Pop" as they call them. They claim 2 yrs warranty on delamination, but this is not delamination it is defective sidewall sheets. It can appear any where from one to 5 years or more after manufacture.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

My pops seem to be on the rear wall for now. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. It doesn't seem to be any delamination to me, just defective materials. Thanks.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote