Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Sigh... this forum has become so much fun.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Tent Air Conditioner

On a recent outing to Catalina State Park, AZ, we observed a tent set up with air conditioning. The tent was at an electric equipped site. The campers had a window type air conditioner setting on a box so that the cold air went through a screened window and into the tent! It was really hot out. This was something we had never seen before, but hey...why not? The campers were not at the site so we never got to talk with them to see how it worked. Roughing it in style! Joe
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

When I was at the factory service center last month, there was a coach that came in and had a roof air installed. They were in and out the same day so I assumed they had an appointment as drop ins had to wait. So if you have basement air and an additional roof ac is an option if needed. Starting in 2011 with all going to roof air, would a basement air be an additional option? Or as Mr. Peabody would say, if a boy can own a dog, can a dog own a boy? It is just a matter of getting rid of that additional compressor, def tank and some other needless stuff to make room.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Have a friend who stayed in Mesa, AZ for 1 yr while he was getting treatment for cancer. He gave me a lot of tips about cooling down the RV. Bob has a 40 ft Monaco. He insulated all the inside cabinets with aluminum insulation that you would use on ducts in the house. Inserted sun shades, kind you use in the car, between the shades and the inside of the window. Always kept the awnings out. When the temps got to be 120 he bought an inside ref air unit at Lowes, the one that ducts thru a vent. He used a small window in the slide to duct the ac. Bob also uses outside sun screens on all the exposed windows. He had to keep the rig cool while he was taking treatment, he didn't go outside unless it was for treatment for 6 months. He made it, and everything he did to the rig worked. When he was released this may he ran straight to the colorado mtns.
Based upon his experience, I did a lot of energy efficient things to my rig while we are holding up in Las Cruces.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
It is interesting to note that with the 2009 models Winnebago made the compressors more powerful. Also the basement air is no longer available in 2011 models. Winnebago is going to roof air. We really like the basement air when it is in the 80's or low 90's. It is very quiet and works very well then. I'll bet the '09's work much better. I was told that the 2009 model compressors each went from 13500 to 15000. That in itself should have made a difference. I'm sure Winnebago would not have made the 2009 change if there were no complaints. Joe
According to the Winnebago web site listing of the 2011 models basement air is still being used on all the Adventurers, Journey's and all Tours except for the 42 foot model.

Did they change this since they posted the new 2011 models on their web site?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I got this information from others on the forum. They seemed sure of the info and supposedly got it from Winnebago. Maybe someone is in error.? Joe
Old 07-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

IMO, these coaches are not made for weather extremes. If you are routinely living in temps of 100 F or higher, adding a roof air may be your best option. John Canfield did just that recently on his 40' Vectra and it has made all the difference. He used the fan opening in the middle of the coach (galley area) and ran 20# wire to the breaker panel under the bed and installed a separate 20A breaker.

You can cover the windows, the roof vents, and pack in all sorts of insulation, etc, but the additional 13,500 BTU cooler is likely to be the most trouble-free option in the end.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I have an 03 Journey 36DL and also feel the need to add a rooftop ac unit. The basement air does an ok job but it would be nice to have the additional unit as backup. If the basement ac goes down, you are screwed as it is not easy to get someone to fix it fast. Now, can one just pop in a roof top ac in place of their fantastic fan? My fan is next to my refregierator so I am sure there's got to be a way to snake in a wire for electric and then tie it in behind the refrigerator. Anyone see any negatives with doing that? It won't be on a seperate breaker but these seems like a possible solution. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardalo View Post
I have an 03 Journey 36DL and also feel the need to add a rooftop ac unit. The basement air does an ok job but it would be nice to have the additional unit as backup. If the basement ac goes down, you are screwed as it is not easy to get someone to fix it fast. Now, can one just pop in a roof top ac in place of their fantastic fan? My fan is next to my refregierator so I am sure there's got to be a way to snake in a wire for electric and then tie it in behind the refrigerator. Anyone see any negatives with doing that? It won't be on a seperate breaker but these seems like a possible solution. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Yes, the RV roof top AC units fit in the same 14" x 14" opening as your fantastic fan. Just remove the fan and trim, and the AC unit will mount in the opening. Not sure the circuit for the fridge will handle the AC. You'd really want to put the AC on a separate 20A circuit. You could get a wire to the One Place panel and tie into the engine heater feed since you would not be using both the engine heater and AC at the same time. However, on my Journey there are some other items tied to the breaker in the electrical panel that powers the block heater. It would be best to add a breaker in that panel and move any other circuits to the new breaker. Best solution would be to snake some 20 gauge romex to the breaker panel under the bed and put the new AC on its own separate breaker.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
According to the Winnebago web site listing of the 2011 models basement air is still being used on all the Adventurers, Journey's and all Tours except for the 42 foot model.

Did they change this since they posted the new 2011 models on their web site?
According to Winnebago's website:

TrueAir has set the standard in RV air conditioning systems for years. Now we’ve raised the bar again with an improved, roof-mounted A/C distribution system: TrueAir Maximum Comfort A/C. It’s a new and better generation of RV air conditioning technology, replacing our TrueAir Residential Central A/C.
Why change? The advent of new diesel emission standards requires chassis components to be placed in the basement space previously used for our TrueAir compressor package and the future availability of that cooling unit package is in question due to new refrigerant regulations that require larger re-designed compressors. Also, the addition of longer and wider floorplans requires increased capacity to adequately cool the coach in high temperature weather conditions.

Roof mounted...basement air is gone.
MRPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardalo View Post
This was mentioned in an earlier post but you should seriously take a look at what John Canfield did with his Horizon. The documentation of his project is organized as a complete engineering project with great photos and narrative. He comments on some of the pros and cons you may be interested in, including HOW to run the wires.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPerkins View Post
According to Winnebago's website:

TrueAir has set the standard in RV air conditioning systems for years. Now we’ve raised the bar again with an improved, roof-mounted A/C distribution system: TrueAir Maximum Comfort A/C. It’s a new and better generation of RV air conditioning technology, replacing our TrueAir Residential Central A/C.
Why change? The advent of new diesel emission standards requires chassis components to be placed in the basement space previously used for our TrueAir compressor package and the future availability of that cooling unit package is in question due to new refrigerant regulations that require larger re-designed compressors. Also, the addition of longer and wider floorplans requires increased capacity to adequately cool the coach in high temperature weather conditions.

Roof mounted...basement air is gone.
Mike - They have a disclaimer further down "Available on select floorplans" so it is not across the board. Coleman is still advertising basement air and its continued developement to meet new refridgerent standards.

I personally do not like the additional swaying the lighter gas coaches get from having multiple 150 pounders up on top of the roof. For best handling the heavy stuff should be kept below the floorboards. On the heavier diesels it probably won't make that much of a difference.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

For those of us who have the older coaches with the basement air units (and plan to keep the coaches), I certainly hope we will still be able to get critical parts for them. In the case of a unit that has a failure that would cost more to repair than unit replacement, would hope RVP would have a new unit that will fit the existing space.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:32 AM   #34
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Regards A/C power .... ???
Joe, If you mount a 110V roof air PLUS the basement air, which phase on your coach's electrical panel would you place the load for the roof unit or is there the option for a 220V roof air unit available? I would think this is something to be concerned about and a 220V unit would be the best way to balance the load.

Next is how are you going to run a 12/2 up to the roof unit?

In South Carolina we typically have over 105° THI temperatures with ambients in the upper 90s with high humidity. Our 2003 unit is working just fine. We did repair a separation in the duct riser and since then its been fine.

While we were in Casa Grande in July of 05 - the A/C unit ran all the time and it was just keeping up. Even after the sun went down the ground remained hot for quite some time!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

We just spent the weekend camping during some very hot and humid weather here in Wisconsin and I'm happy to say that our 2 roof air units took care of us very well. Also the power management system worked flawlessly! We ran both units, the water heater, microwave, and brewed lots of coffee, all on 30 amp hookup and had no problem whatsoever. I noticed recently that the male plug on the end of the electric cord was starting to show signs of over heating and so I recently put a new plug on the end of the cord. The new plug showed no signs of overheating this weekend.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Joe, If you mount a 110V roof air PLUS the basement air, which phase on your coach's electrical panel would you place the load for the roof unit or is there the option for a 220V roof air unit available? I would think this is something to be concerned about and a 220V unit would be the best way to balance the load.

Next is how are you going to run a 12/2 up to the roof unit?

In South Carolina we typically have over 105° THI temperatures with ambients in the upper 90s with high humidity. Our 2003 unit is working just fine. We did repair a separation in the duct riser and since then its been fine.

While we were in Casa Grande in July of 05 - the A/C unit ran all the time and it was just keeping up. Even after the sun went down the ground remained hot for quite some time!
I have called a Winnebago Dealer and was told that they have installed roof units and continue to do so. The service department was closed at the time so I'll be calling them back on Monday. Although I was told that Camping World installed the roof units, when I talked to the tech, as he checked out our coach, it seemed that this was new territory. I ended up canceling the next appointment. I'll see what the Winnie Dealer has to say and go from there. Joe
Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have had a conversation with Winnebago about a roof air and the guy on the line expressed surprise I would need it. Based on this thread and others that I have read, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Lots of us have marginal performance when it's extremely hot. We spent a week in Gulf Shores, AL. When the temp was 92° with high humidity, if we managed the shades, closed the vents in the bedroom and bathroom, closed the door, we could keep the inside below 80. When the temp rose above 95°, it wasn't possible.

This weekend in Texas, when the temp was above 100°, the only way to get the temp below 80 was to wait for the sun to go down.

I have purchased a screen for the windshield (lots of heat still comes through). I am in the process of ordering awnings for the windows and a rooftop air to go into the fan opening in the kitchen. I think this will solve the cooling problem.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Well, we left the Nor' West and made it back in to sunny Texas. While at a CG near Marble Falls, the temps were in the high 90's and one day 100 degrees. I went to Southerland's and purchased a roll of that "astro foil," cut it to size for the big side windows and stuck it in place. It made quite a bit of difference. With 100 degrees outside, the inside was comfortable at 80 degrees. Makes it nice and dark in the bedroom.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Getcha one of these....$300-400 at Wally world

an additional 9000 or 12000 BTU's of cooling will bring the inside of your RV down to 70 degrees when it is over 100 outside! At least it does in my "cabin"

Keep it in the basement or a closet when not needed...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #40
Winnebago Master

Gee.. I spent most of last week (high 80's low 90's here in Michigan) working on my formerly damaged main awning.. IT is now a shorter, better, re-designed main awning that no longer interferes with the main entry door or blocks my view when I'm driving (both of which the front control arm did on the original install)

Saturday, after I'd finished, I went swimming.. I told Lisa, the pool attendant.
"Several times I came off that ladder every bit as wet as I am now.. But never did it feel this good!!!"

That pool was heaven on earth let me tell you!