Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Shower Surround Replacement

Hey folks, this is a related post to a previous post, but more specific to materials used in making a shower surround. Mine cracked last spring and I temp repaired it by stop-drilling the ends of the crack and covering with flex seal tape. That has worked really well; however, there are now cracks starting around the upper mounting screws. So I am not sure it will last through the winter into the spring with the temperature changes. Are all aftermarket shower surrounds made from the same types of plastics or are there any out there that are more flexible to withstand shifting? Does anyone have any links or recommendations for a specific brand or manufacturer? Thanks for the help.

-2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie
valsamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Cracked shower stall

Did you have any luck finding a replacement shower stall?

My neo-angle corner shower enclosure has developed a crack about 4.5 ft. Above the floor. I contacted a shower/tub repair company but they refused to work on my shower because they couldn't determine exactly what the shower was made of.
Ksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Can you get the shower walls out of the RV?

If they are made of ABS there is a material that you can buy that will allow you to “plastic weld” the cracks. I have used it with a backup of fiberglass mat with some good success before. Search Amazon for “Plast-aid”. If you can get to the back of the material you might be able to stop the cracking with this.

Once it’s used that section will be stronger than pretty much anyplace else in the surround. Drill your holes, cut a sort of V into the back of the panel pour some of the powder into the crack, drip some of the reagent on it and let it dry. I did that then added the piece of fiberglass and did it again over that.

NOTE: I have done this on my dashboard and on the front nose of my motorcycle when that cracked. I didn’t do it on a shower.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I ended up replacing the surround with FRP. I put moisture barrier around the tub to wall joining areas. I resealed to the entire wall and tub area to prevent leaks. A picture of the work in progress and finished product attached.
valsamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Nice work, looks great! How did you fill the corners, they appeared to have some pretty good size holes/gaps, way to much for silicone.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, shower