Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
Site Team

Should I get dent fixed?

I have a new Winnebago Adventurer 35P. There was a small dent on a compartment door when it was delivered. It's the kind that may have been caused by a car door on the trip to CA. If it was a car, I'd go to a paintless dent extractor and get it fixed for $100. However, because Winnebago glues the insulation to the back of the compartment door, both La Mesa RV in Davis CA and the Winnebago Service Center in Junction City OR say it needs to be sanded, fixed and remasked and repainted. Winnebago's estimate was $3400!! Even thought La Mesa is responsible for the fix, I am concerned about color matching and making sure it looks like it never happened.

My question is: should I have La Mesa fix it? What is the experience of others with a similar dent?

Thanks!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just IMO- Do not Except Delivery until its repaired or your gonna own it forever !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Just IMO- Do not Except Delivery until its repaired or your gonna own it forever !
True statement.....
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
Site Team

I already did and did not notice at first. However, I did video tape my delivery inspection and it clearly shows the dent, even though I missed it. To La Mesa RVs credit, they immediately agreed to fix once they saw the evidence.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

$3400 has to be a hell of a dent. I would think being brand-new a color match should be no problem. I would take the part number off the back of the door and call Winnebago and get a price for a new one completely finished. How much would a new painted door cost ? I can't imagine a new door would be $3400.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I crushed a compartment door on a tiffin ...ordered a new door had it painted total order 2k.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
Site Team

Great idea! I'll call Winnebago and check the cost of a new one. I should have mentioned there was a very small dent on the rear compartment and the Winnebago estimate covered both.
I'll enclose a photo of the dent. It's not that big, which is why I missed it at delivery. Well, I was also starry eyed at the new coach! :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3286.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	168533
Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Great idea! I'll call Winnebago and check the cost of a new one. I should have mentioned there was a very small dent on the rear compartment and the Winnebago estimate covered both.
I'll enclose a photo of the dent. It's not that big, which is why I missed it at delivery. Well, I was also starry eyed at the new coach! :-)

Attachment 168533
A sincere suggestion...I believe it won't be long before you have another dent and probably bigger than the one you're showing. I would just keep rolling and forget about it. If you ain't got dents and scratches...you ain't campin!

You may also touch base with dealer and see what he may do to make it right for you.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

No. The first ding is always the worst. Enjoy your motorhome there will be more dents dings scratches and broken windows.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #10
Site Team

All good advice. It hurts, but doesn’t keep me from loving the RV. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have a new Winnebago Adventurer 35P. There was a small dent on a compartment door when it was delivered. It's the kind that may have been caused by a car door on the trip to CA. If it was a car, I'd go to a paintless dent extractor and get it fixed for $100. However, because Winnebago glues the insulation to the back of the compartment door, both La Mesa RV in Davis CA and the Winnebago Service Center in Junction City OR say it needs to be sanded, fixed and remasked and repainted. Winnebago's estimate was $3400!! Even thought La Mesa is responsible for the fix, I am concerned about color matching and making sure it looks like it never happened.

My question is: should I have La Mesa fix it? What is the experience of others with a similar dent?

Thanks!
I would have it fixed, but not by an RV dealer. As for the Winnebago factory it has been my experience that they don't do "traditional" body work. They replace panels and have them repainted. The same was true of a couple RV dealers we contacted. Eventually we went to our local Ford truck dealer and got a more reasonable estimate of $700.00. I would think the dealer would be more than happy to contract out the repair rather than spend that kind of money on a new panel.

As for who's responsible I would think it would be either the dealer or the transportation company. The transportation company driver is supposed to fill out an inspection form noting any damage prior to leaving Forest City. The dealer is supposed to inspect the coach and sign off on it once it arrives at their lot. If there is no paperwork stating the damage was identified prior to leaving the factory or when it arrived at the dealership I would think it would be the dealers responsibility.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
All good advice. It hurts, but doesn’t keep me from loving the RV. Thanks!
Mr/Mrs Nut... I like your outlook. I too would be bothered by a dent in my new ride...especially when "someone else" puts it there. At least if "you" did it, it would be "your dent"!!! So, I truly get it!!!

As I contemplated your dilemma I looked in my mirror and noticed
"That I have a few dents and scratches too and I'm still goin"!!! There's gotta be a message there I thunk to myself!!! Misspellings and slang used on Porpoise!!!

Onward MacDuff
Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The computer color matching is very accurate nowdays. I would remove the door and take to a competent auto or rv body shop and get a quote. Then call Winnebago factory for authorization. It will be much less than $3400. My guess is less than $1000 and Winnie should be happy to avoid the higher dealer charge, that is if it is considered warranty repair.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #14
Site Team

Had to laugh, MacDuff! Thanks, all. I think I’ll get an estimate from a local shop and see where it takes me.
Thanks!!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Pro Collision in Lake Havasu City, AZ did the work on our damage to our coach involving the drivers side rear dual fender panel, electrical bay door and compartment and large door over the battery and air cleaner input. We were hit by a rolling tire on I-10 outside of Tuscon, AZ.
Winny sends unpainted panels. Our large one was $1200

Lead time on the 3 panels was about 6 weeks.

We are very happy with the results. You should have received a list of your paint scheme formulas.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
Site Team

Thanks, DancinCampers!
Old 07-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I'd ask how much cash they would give you and use it pay for a nice trip, or more goodies for your coach. It looks hardly noticeable in the pic, but you have to make the call. Good thinking to have video evidence.
Happy camping
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPO1980 View Post
I'd ask how much cash they would give you and use it pay for a nice trip, or more goodies for your coach. It looks hardly noticeable in the pic, but you have to make the call. Good thinking to have video evidence.
Happy camping

Yep... What he said
Old 09-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Its always disturbing to find damage on a new vehicle, especially that you didn't cause. But if the damage is hardly noticeable (and you did miss it, first time around), you might consider taking the cash, and wait for more noticeable damage that might occur down the road. And it will, no matter how careful you are.

There are bushes and tree limbs you swear, look so soft and with lots of clearance, that just jump out and scratch. There are those camping spaces that you so carefully measure and watch backing in, only to have a fence or stake appear out of nowhere and scrape you on the opposite end. Let alone the neighbor kids with bikes and balls that seem to find the side of your rig.

Most of these little mishaps are only noticeable to you for a while. If they aren't serious, consider them badges of courage and testament to your travels.

I can tell you when and where every little nick, scratch, dent, and blemish came from on my rig, after seven years of travelling around the country. There are at least 3 on each side, front and rear that I see, but few others ever notice.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:34 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Hi Al,

Just curious... What did you decide to do? Personally, it would bother me and I would have it repaired, especially since it is so new.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote