Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Sharp microwave oven making funny noise

Has anyone with a 2004 era Winnebago ever replaced their Sharp microwave/convection oven? Ours has just started making a funny sound right after its plugged back in. Kind of sounds like a fan running roughly and the turntable running at the same time (the turntable is turned off). This noise stops a minute or two after it's plugged back in and everything seems normal after that. Haven't tried heating or cooking anything so don't know if that is affected in any way.
From experience, is it advisable to have it worked on or just replace it with a new one if something is indeed wrong with it?
From past experience I have found it's hard to find a new one that will fit in the same space as the old one.
Thanks for any information or help on this.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If this sounds familiar to anyone else who might have had the same problem, do you know what it's doing and how did you solve it?

Wagonmaster2
Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
adj
Winnebago Camper

Is this a Sharp 1874 model? There is a slight possibility the dampner motor is running. Although a minute or two seems a little long. I would try testing the microwave with a container of water. If the unit sounds normal while running, check for air flow out of the top vents. Also, when the water boils, there should not be a steaming of the interior.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sorry about the omission, it's a Sharp model R1870.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

My Sharp microwave in my 03 will make some noise, beeps and the clock goes haywire but it has never turned on by itself (yet). The clock has a mind of its own and I reset it and it is OK for awhile.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Started my research here to replace ours: Good Luck,,,they still make the 1870

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...1056,5,00.html
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
adj
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Sorry about the omission, it's a Sharp model R1870.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G

The electrical setup of a 1870 and 1874 are almost identical

04 Lapalma 33'
Old 06-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

Wagonmaster2, We HAD the same model of Sharp in our coach. After several times of it failing and then fixiing it to fail again I removed it. I shopped quite a bit and settled on a Sears Kenmore Elite series convection/microwave. It will fit in the same space and do everything the Sharp unit should have been doing. Mounting of the new unit is slightly different than the Sharp but is really not a difficult problem. The big problem is lifting the two units to remove the old and install the new. FWIW I would not replace with a Sharp even if they were 1/2 price. Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Regarding the Sharp, ours is a 2004 and was making noise and it shut off at 59 seconds. I called a repair place and he ordered a $30 motor, labor was $70. I removed the unit and took it in. I'm happy......
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Had the exact same problem. Replaced the damper motor (part # RMOTDA242WRE0) from the PartStore.com. Cost about $12.00. Taking the microwave apart to get to the motor was fun, not really. Took about 3 hours, but saved quite a bit of cash. The motor is under the two capacitors that are used in the magnetron HV supply. Be careful, they will bite even when the power is off. Discharge them first. All this is in the lower right hand side of the whole assembly.

Get help removing and re attaching the set, it's heavy!

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys. If it has to be removed I'll no doubt be hollaring for details on removing it. Just looking at it all the attachments appear to be hidden.

Wagonmaster2
Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

On our rig (34H Meridian 04) there is a wood panel directly above the micro. Remove this panel. Behind there are (I think ) 8 screws, remove them. Underneath the Micro there are two filters, remove. There are three screws to the rear underneath the micro on the back lip, remove them. Now get help. Where the filter screens were removed, there are two bolts that go up on a diagonal. these really hold the microwave up. When you loosen them the micro will start to tip forward. The bolts have hooks that engage the mounting plate on the back wall of the rig. Lift the micro up a little and disengage the hooks. The micro will now tip out. Lift up on the back and the Micro is yours. You did get help, right?

Good luck.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Thanks Bill -- That gives me a good idea how to start. My 2004 Meridian 36G doesn't have a wooden panel across the top of the microwave. There is a black plastic vent about 3" in width at the top that looks like a couple of screws are holding it but don't know what's behind it. Everything else sounds the same.

Wagonmaster2
Old 06-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
adj
Winnebago Camper

Be careful! It weighs 74 lbs.

04 Lapalma 33'
Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

If you remove the bottom of the cabinet above the Sharp, the screws are there. We replaced ours about 2 years ago after having it fixed twice. We did replace it with a new Sharp as we were leaving on a long trip and DH didn't want to replace the mounting bracket. Put a box or bucket under the micro to take the wt when you lower it. Cheapest place was Crate and Home.com at about $400. After removing one 3 times, if it goes again, think we will trade.lol
Old 07-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

The darn thing started working fine for a couple of days then went right back to shutting off after 59 seconds again. Was hoping it had self-fixed but no such luck. Guess removal will be necessary when we get home.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Beabop - How is the bottom of the cabinet above the microwave held in place? I thought it was probably part of the cabinet and not removable.
I hope Winnebago installed it the same way in both the Journey and the Meridian.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

They should be exactly alike. There is a false bottom on that cabinet that lifts out and 2 screws under it. Take them out. Then take the filters off the bottom and unloosen the big long screws. There may be some other screws underneath as we had all our problems in 95-96 and have poor memories. Have a bucket or box under the micro as you lift it up over a lip that runs along the back of the micro as part of the mounting frame. That unit weighs about 74 lb. Hope this helps. Carl & B
Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Roger Beabop - I'll have to get the wife to remove all her pots and pans stored above the microwave so I can even see the bottom of the cabinet. The scariest part is going to be managing all that weight when the brackets are loose. All the newest electronic fandangles seem to be getting lighter so wasn't expecting something that heavy.

Thanks for all the first-hand information.

Wagonmaster2
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Have found a listing at Partstore.com for the damper motor but nothing for the switch, whether it's called a damper switch or micro switch. Fixya.com didn't seem to list the switch either. Anyone know of a source for it?

Wagonmaster2