Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2015, 04:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Serpentine belt 6.7 Cummins

trying to replace serpentine belt on a 37 ft journey 2008 rear rad. 6.7 cummins do i have to remove rad. to install
tommyboy3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

(I would also post this question under the "Cummins" blog under RV Forum)
Old 04-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I replaced ours ( different coach same engine). It wasnt easy but did not have to remove rad. Involved alot of blind reaching and sticking my head into what ever available space I could find. Used a socket wrench to pull tensioner back ( as far as it will go ). Actually needed a helper to hold tensioner back while I stretched belt over the last pulley. It was so tight I was only able to get a bit of the belt on the last pulley then a couple clicks of ignition key to turn crank and she was on.
You may already know this but its very important to note or take pics of the old belt configuration.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I would suggest that you look on Utube under replacing a surp belt for your engine. It is difficult, but most engines are designed to allow a replacement without a great deal of trouble. Have done it myself. Look for a way to lock the tensionier open, a straight blade screwdriver usually works.
good luck.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
I would suggest that you look on Utube under replacing a surp belt for your engine. It is difficult, but most engines are designed to allow a replacement without a great deal of trouble. Have done it myself. Look for a way to lock the tensionier open, a straight blade screwdriver usually works.
good luck.
JB

Expect a great deal of trouble ( this may reduce the number of curse words needed) and consider it a bonus if u have no trouble.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Access to the ISB 6.7 serpentine belt in a Freightliner chassis should be similar to that of the ISB 5.9. We experienced serpentine belt failure last fall while enrollee to FL in Gaffney. It was replaced by the Kenworth shop in Bowling Green, KY. The technician who did the work had experience on these things. He did everything from underneath but had to remove the air cleaner, air intake ducting, muffler, tail pipe and charge air cooler hose to get access to the belt and tensioner - roughly four hours work to get to the pulleys and tensioner to install the replacement belt and button up afterward.

Others have reported replacing the belt by working from both under the coach and from inside under the bed. These things were not built with maintainability in mind.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all..completed serpentine belt and replaced alt. from both the top and bottom. lost a little blood but all is well
Old 04-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy3700 View Post
Thanks to all..completed serpentine belt and replaced alt. from both the top and bottom. lost a little blood but all is well

Thanks for the follow up post. My coach is (actually will be...since It is on order) a rear rad Cummins ISB, like yours. I've read how excited some get when they purchase a side rad coach. It is clear that this could be advantageous. I was wondering just what I, a non-mechanic, could do. Have you changed filters (fuel, oil, and air)?

- Jerry

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (on order), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

everything is harder on rear rad and i mean everything. But in saying this i love my cummins and freightliner chassis. Have fun

Tags
cummins