Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Securing "stuff" in basement (need ideas)

Hey all, I have a 2013 Adventure 32H and was wondering what you all use to secure items in basement storage areas. There are no tie downs anywhere. I'll have a couple of chairs, grill, propane tank, and other "stuff". Thanks in advance for you problem solving ideas !!!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We use plastic totes of the right height, marked with a Sharpie. We have lots of room so some are empty, but ready for great finds!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Our stuff packs snugly in the basement compartments without needing ties. If your propane tank is a 5 gallon, a milk crate works well for stability.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We just pack it in snugly and try to have bulky or heave items near front wall. Never had a problem with items shifting
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just pack it all in well, if you have empty space use empty cardboard boxes to fill in. Remember to pack heavy stuff forward on your adventurer since the back axle is pretty loaded from the factory.

A word of caution about propane tanks. Your compartments are usually non-vented and they get much hotter than most people realize. Every year 5 gallon propane tanks vent out into compartments due to excessive heat. Some ignite due to a spark from compartment lights or someone who is smoking opening the compartment. We were in Lake Havasu when an RV "blew up" 2 rows down from us. The explosion killed one person and injured three others. The fire captain said third one this year from propane cylinders in unvented compartments (which is illegal btw).

There are safer and easier ways to use a propane grill imho. Do thousands of people carry their 5lb container with them everywhere - yup. Do they have problems - it's very rare but it's still a risk that I think can and should be easily mitigated. You can hook your propane grill up to your onboard propane tank with a simple T that you can buy at camping world or Amazon. Or you can use a charcoal grill or an electric grill. The choice is yours, I don't mean to be preachy but seeing first hand a young family of 4 lose a dad/husband due to this made up my mind that it would never happen to me.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We use plastic totes of the right height, marked with a Sharpie. We have lots of room so some are empty, but ready for great finds!
We use the same except for our grills propane tank and hose. For that we use a plastic milk crate(Ikea?).

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1959 View Post
Hey all, I have a 2013 Adventure 32H and was wondering what you all use to secure items in basement storage areas. There are no tie downs anywhere. I'll have a couple of chairs, grill, propane tank, and other "stuff". Thanks in advance for you problem solving ideas !!!
Kevin1959,
I've done a bit of what you're asking about. I did it for a living for about 24 years on SDFD, besides being a regular fireman. Being organized is really useful and, cuts down on time. I say that because I don't have to dig around in boxes etc. every time I want to find something. And, a five minute job, doesn't turn into a 30 minute job 'cause I can't find what I'm looking for, even if I know I have it.

As for the big stuff, that's easy. There's all kinds of securing cleats that one can buy at any hardware store. All you need to do is, place an item that you want to secure, in an area you want to secure it in, and place your cleats on either side and mark them. Then, drill and mount them. Now, use bungees etc. or what ever you want for securing them, Done!

In the pics below, you'll see various ways I've taken care of mounting and securing items. I make as much use of the walls and ceilings of each compartment as I can. I keep as much "off the floor" as possible too. It just makes for nice arrangements when ever I need to get into those compartments for something I need or, want to store.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Fire Up......that is really impressive.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Fire Up....That's awesome !! I was kinda leary about drilling holes in the basement.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

FireUp. Wow. I hate seeing great ideas, just adds to my list of todo's.

To the OP, I use plastic bins for small items and large stuff pretty much is not a problem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Fire up--wow. Impressive as heck!
OP in addition to others' suggestions, I also use tie straps. I have basement slides installed in my two biggest basement compartments and I have drilled holes in the side rails that accommodate tie down straps.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Fire up, are you driving a motorhome or a Pumper! I know old habits are hard to break. Spent 31 years in the fire service myself. Local 2625 IAAF, Collinsville,Illinois. Your rig looks great.
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

If my DW, sees an open space, she says , can you find room for this!
Basement is so full , NOTHING moves.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
I surely appreciate the nice comments. Yep, I did what you see in the pics, to well over a hundred fire trucks. They come in, brand new, looking like an empty tool box. From that point, I and a crew of about 3-4, would transform them to a standardized, completely outfitted fire truck. I did that for over 24 years.

As for drilling into the side walls and ceiling of most of your compartments, yes, you should do a bit of investigation of what's possibly behind those walls or ceiling. About 95% of the time, there's not much behind them. But do check to make sure. You can buy some clips, brackets, and more at many well equipped hardware stores. Sometimes you may have to go to specialty outfits like Grainger or, McMaster Carr or others for something out of the ordinary.

Or, depending your skill level, you simply create some form of bracket or clip or mount for what ever you're needing to be mounted or hung or, whatever. I look at it this way, it's valuable real estate in there. Why not use it? As you can see in the pics, certain tools fit inside others while others may "stack" (stick pie sticks as an example).

Organizing is like beauty. It's in the eye of the beholder. Some won't go through what it takes to do what I did. That's perfectly ok. It's not for everyone. You do what makes you happy. But, like I stated earlier, if I want something, a tool, some glue, some tape, anything, I don't want to be digging through boxes and boxes, searching for it when I know I have it. For the most part, I can go right to a compartment, reach in and grab what I need and, do my job and put it back where it belongs.

It all depends on what you want it to look like in the end and, how organized you prefer to be.
Scott
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Based on your many repair and maintenance posts, I should not be surprised at how well you've organized your coach space…. but I am surprised and very impressed! Not only skillful talent to do this, but very thoughtful planning and design which I'm sure is a product of your many years of hands-on experience.

Golly….. hear i thought I was ahead of the curve with my cardboard water boxes (w/hand holes carved in) full of "stuff"

thanks for sharing!
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieFac View Post
Fire up, are you driving a motorhome or a Pumper! I know old habits are hard to break. Spent 31 years in the fire service myself. Local 2625 IAAF, Collinsville,Illinois. Your rig looks great.
CutieFac,
What a crackup Sir. I laughed for quite a bit on that one. As you've seen in your career in the FD, it really pays to be organized when it comes to emergencies. When you're out in an ugly, rescue or any other type of "immediate need" situation, you surely don't have time to "dig around" in an un organized compartment, looking for any tool or item you need at this very second.

Well, yes, we're (you and I) are no longer in that kind of an environment or, kind of immediate need situation(s) any longer, it still is nice to know right where something is, and can open the right door, and know right where to grab whatever you need, even in a casual, slower paced, relaxing at a campground, type of environment.

To anyone who may be thinking about doing something like what I've done, it's really not very hard at all. If you have tools, things that can actually be mounted on any of the walls of any compartment you decide on, first do your best to investigate what's behind that wall etc. Then, what's really important is, do you have access to the back side of that wall etc.? If you do, that makes mounting things easy.

You can take a piece of card board that represents the wall you're working on and, lay out all the tools etc. you plan on mounting on it. Then, draw out the plan and, transfer that plan onto the actual wall. Then, simply start using whatever clips, mounts, brackets etc. that will do the work for you and, secure them to the wall. Done.

Then, move on to the next wall. Now, you've got way more room on the floor of each compartment. As stated, I like to keep the floors of my compartments as clean and equipment free as possible. That way, if we pick something up while out on a trip that might fit in a compartment and, not inside the coach taking up living space, I've got room for it. Just some thoughts here. Good luck.
Scott
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #17
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Fireup
Those pictures make me sick
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Fireup
Those pictures make me sick
Sorry Sir for your illness, hope it passes quickly

Scott
Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Great inspiration Fire-Up. Thanks for sharing! Didn't some one a while back have a link to clips galore?
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Clips galore

Here's a link to boat storage clips and brackets:

Marine Pole Storage & Utility Clips
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote