Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Any one have thoughts on securing the front door in the open position. The new Monaco Diplomat has a well designed flat/folding brace at the top of the door which prevents it from being sprung or opened past the intended 90 degrees. I don't think the Winnebago/Itasca has room for such a brace. A past a forum member suggested carrying new brass backing plates because the wind once sprung his door open so far it would not shut, he was able to repair it on site. Any info or creative designs would help.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Any one have thoughts on securing the front door in the open position. The new Monaco Diplomat has a well designed flat/folding brace at the top of the door which prevents it from being sprung or opened past the intended 90 degrees. I don't think the Winnebago/Itasca has room for such a brace. A past a forum member suggested carrying new brass backing plates because the wind once sprung his door open so far it would not shut, he was able to repair it on site. Any info or creative designs would help.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi -

My GS has a strut and brackets (just like on a rear-bed lift or one of the outside storage compartment doors) to keep the door from opening too far and hitting the Awning arm or Atrium frame.

I don't know what brand or model strut is used, but it sure looks like a standard one and is simply attached at the right length/distance to work correctly. It works good, and is so strong I doubt a wind could take hold of it. Gives me my exercise too, wrestling with overcoming the piston-effect.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #4

Our Winnie has a web strap attached to the bottom of the door that restricts the degree the door can be opened.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Our Winnie has a web strap attached to the bottom of the door that restricts the degree the door can be opened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And I've seen a good gust of wind snap that strap just like it was'nt even there. I think he is talking about a DP with the bus type front door anyway.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

One of the new features listed for the 2006 Horizon is "door holder for main entrance door" sounds like something to look at on the new units.

2010 View 24K
warrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have worried about the door on our '05 Horizon beign caught by a gust of wind and breaking the insignificantly sized door keeper. I'll have to see what Winnie is doing for the '06 year. Maybe I can get it retrofitted when we go to the factory next spring.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My '05 Suncruiser came with a rod about two feet long, with the ends bent 90 degrees and covered with a rubber sleeve. You simply drop it in the two brackets, one on the door and one on the coach body, to hold the door securely in place. At first I thought it was inconvenient but I now think the simplicity of it is really ingenious. Should be available at any WB dealer.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I thought the discussion concerned a diesel front door???
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Why does the kind of fuel affect what type of door?

(sorry, slow evening here)

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote