Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

secondary propane source

We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey. Is it possible to bypass the main propane tank and connect to a 20 lb tank in the event you ran out of propane in the main tank? We travel in the winter and worry about getting stranded. We always have a extra tank for our grill.
ginagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

With the proper valves installed, why not?
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Yes, it's possible. You should install an Extend-a-Stay so that an secondary tank can be connected. Camping World has them as well as other places. A 20lb. tank can be a problem in that you may not be able to vaporize enough propane to fuel your furnace for very long.
In my opinion a better solution would be to fire your gen and use ceramic heaters in an emergency.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
mjp
Winnebago Watcher

I'm in agreement on installing an Extend-A-Stay. I put one on the MH last fall, easy installation and well engineered. Last week I had a chance to use it in earnest during a bit of "Unintentional Snow Camping" last week. Ran off both 20 and 30 pound bottles. Didn't have any problems with either size running both forward and rear furnaces and cooking, the only difference is the 30 pounders last longer.

Well worth the expense and the time investment.

Safe travels.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I also recommend the Extend-a-Stay. It also has a port to run portable BBQs and other propane appliances.

Marshall Extend-A-Stay
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We thought about just running the generator and ceramic heaters, but wanted to keep the pipes and pumps in the basement from freezing, so needed to keep the furnace going.
Thanks for all your responses.
ginagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginagary View Post
We thought about just running the generator and ceramic heaters, but wanted to keep the pipes and pumps in the basement from freezing, so needed to keep the furnace going.
Thanks for all your responses.
Until you can get the Extend-a-Stay installed you could use a couple of 75 watt bulbs in drop lights in the basement plumbing area to keep it from freezing
Old 02-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

In the winter/spring I always have two 20lb tanks as spares. Just connect them with the extend-stay. The tanks do build up alot of frost on them during cold nights. I have not had any problems from not being able to make enough gas. One tank will last about 2 days for us.
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginagary View Post
We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey. Is it possible to bypass the main propane tank and connect to a 20 lb tank in the event you ran out of propane in the main tank? We travel in the winter and worry about getting stranded. We always have a extra tank for our grill.
Short answer: YES.

Medium answer: I do it

Long answer: Here is how:
Extend A Stay Propane Adapter Kit on Sale

Extend A Stay extends your options | MyOldRV.com

Marhsall Extend-A-Stay Tee - $34.15

This is not an endorsement for any of the above.. Make sure the one you get comes with hoses. (I'm not sure about Advernture RV as it did not mention it on the page.

The Extend-a-stay not only allows you to provide propane to the motor home FROM a portable tank but allows you to run your grill off the motor home tanks.

It also has check valves to prevent loss of propane from the main tank or back flow into it from the aux tank.

I recall it has an excess flow valve built in too but I can find no documents to support that.

I know I like mine.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We use three 40 pound tanks to rotate them in winter. I don't suggest using your basement air below 40 degrees as you will freeze up your intake on the outside of the coach. We are full timers in Seattle.

On the idea of hooking up a barbecue near your propane is completely nuts to me but I like a margin of safety.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote