Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2005, 04:11 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Installation preparation took 2 hours to set up scaffold, 2 hours each side to clean off caulk smeared in some areas with putty knife, sand paper the area, wipe down with Acetone Wednesday, and Thursday. On Friday the correct Eternabond arrived at 2pm. The first side took 3 hours, wiping again with Acetone and wiping with a dry towel just before application of the Eternabond. Saturday the second side took 2 hours.

So to do the whole job in total it took me 11 hours, 16 hours with two of us doing the application. The job turned out very good, the first foot or two was the most difficult to get application routine down.

Best tool was the altered Popsicle stick. Pat, my wife, helped with the application by positioning the tape in the bottom of the gutter and pulling off the release liner while I followed with the Popsicle stick tool setting the tape at the bottom, then pressing the tape with my finger to the top " of the gutter, next working the tape over the caulked area with my finger and last pressing the remaining top part of the tape with two fingers. Followed by rolling the tape and going over the tape in the gutter to set it firmly in place.

Bob
Old 10-24-2005, 05:39 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Bob&Pat
Sounds like you did a good job. I'll remember the popsicyle trick, I was thinking a flat bladed screw driver for down in the gutter. I was too busy this weekend to do it, I'm hoping for next weekend.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:46 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I was able to get my roof done this weekend between rain showers. Came out nice, I 1st put a strip over the frount cap and then down each side for the roof to gutter joint. Looks good, 2 people definately help alot. I really like this eternal bond tape great stuff, I also found a new use for eternal bond, tape. I backed into the gutter on my house and cracked it. I quick piece of Eternal bond on the inside of the gutter and it's good as new!

Seattle, WA
Old 11-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Glad to hear you got it finished.

I did the front cap and rear cap corners approx. 10" around the radius where it meets the "big" globs of caulk on the rear cap, after the sides

I am so glad I used eternabond it's a comforting thought now when it is raining knowing the eternabond is in place. And knowing we do not have to caulk the roof anymore.

Just finished winterizing today, last week I was working on the dash, I have a couple more small projects but then it will be stored until January.

Bob
Old 11-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Now that several of us owners have wised up on how to end the constant caulking. It would be nice if the manufacturers would get on the band wagon and do the same at build time. I think most of us that have used Eternabond fully understand it would be a little more costly for the manufacturer and yes would sure take more labor time to install than caulk at build time. But just think of the full body paint jobs, at build time the Eternabond could be applied then painted. On a new coach you would never know it was used. But applying after the build and paint by the owner it would not look good on a full body paint job.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:17 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Or better yet, they could redesign that roof/sidewall seam to eliminate the need for so much attention...or at least make it less vulnerable to leaks. How difficult would it be to overlap the sidewall 3 - 4" with the roof material?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:23 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I must say I really like the eternaBond tape, easy to use and quick, no waiting for the caulk to dry. I am going to order another roll just to have on hand, I'm sure I can find some more uses for it. By the way I did not recaulk, and after putting on the tape I see no reason to.

Well I'm almost done fixing up my motorhome, going to go pick up 4 Trojan T125 6 volt batterys today, install them and I'm done. But I won't be storeing mine, it's just the beginning of ski season, Im going up into the moutains this weekend and will start going up about everyother weekend until April.
Why store your motorhome when you can use it...

Seattle, WA