Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Sealant substitute

Hi all you Winnebago folks and those who have a better idea.

I have a separation of the front cap to roof sealant bead. I don't like what Winnebago used because it looks like it will just fail again. I am open for suggestions.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Hi all you Winnebago folks and those who have a better idea. I have a separation of the front cap to roof sealant bead. I don't like what Winnebago used because it looks like it will just fail again. I am open for suggestions. Thanks, Rick
Eternabond
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Eternabond and or Dicor self leveling...whatever you use, make sure the surface is clean and old caulk is removed as best as can be.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Eternabond and or Dicor self leveling...whatever you use, make sure the surface is clean and old caulk is removed as best as can be.
I have seen the tape used recently on a 5th wheel and I was not impressed. I have used Dyco C-10 but I don't recall where I bought it. The tube I have is dead.

Winnebago has a long part # with no real info. The Dyco C-10 is a self leveling rubbery caulk. That is what I am hoping to find.

As far a cleaning out the old caulk, in some areas, like this one, it may not be the best idea. When I get the junk off the seam that was not used from the factory I will have a better idea.

About that bad stuff used on my coach: It probably looked good on day one. I think it is a soft material and may come paper backed on a role. I have no real idea. But now it has come up and bubbled where ever I find it. I have not had the time or weather conditions to get involved in this project until now. It's a big job made worse by a bad previous job. All I know is that it peals up like a flat snake and the residue left behind washes off with ease. My goal is to get all of this junk off and fix the real problem areas like the one I aforementioned.

Any help I receive on this forum is always valuable, even if I don't agree or use a particular recommendation. Choices are always good. Thanks.

Rick
Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation

How about wide Eternabond (it comes in widths from 2" to 48") and then self-leveling along the edges. This is a sort of belt-and-suspenders thing, but it worked well on my previous RV.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Geo-Cell. I don't recommend Eterna-Bond. I know lots of people like it, but if you DO ever have to remove it, it doesn't come off very well. And it doesn't last forever.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Geo-Cell. I don't recommend Eterna-Bond. I know lots of people like it, but if you DO ever have to remove it, it doesn't come off very well. And it doesn't last forever.
This is my concern, exactly. We spend many months is cooking sun. Not always by first choice. The tape jobs I have seen looked a bit cooked. Cleanup and repair was going to be a challenge for the owner.

AggieDad may have the right idea, just the wrong products. I have used helicopter tape in the past. I am now considering getting a 2" role of this stuff and coating it with something like the Dyco C-10 product. The tape would act as a expansion joint and the C-10 a flexible protectant/sealer/bond assurer. The C-10 is removable with a putty knife and the tape the same. I have not posted pictures of my challenge yet but I will do so.

With my idea, I am still open to suggestions. I am still hoping to hear from someone who has concord this problem. The way Winnebago marries the roof and front cap seems like a leak waiting to happen.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The problem is that not all the white tape is really EternaBond. KoolKote and other roofing material vendors sell a similar (imitation) product which will delaminate in a few years so that the mylar film blows away leaving just the butle rubber adhesive unprotected.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Question

jerichorick - What the heck is helicopter tape? I never heard of it.

By the way, my tape and self-leveling was on a Trail-Lite B+ where the front cap and the roof come together. So at least a parallel situation if not an exact duplicate.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If you want something that is a permanent, flexible, extremely strong adhesive-sealant, look into 3M's 5200. It was originally manufactured for the marine industry, and it's properties are actually rated for constand underwater (e.g. below the waterline on boats). It is a once and done solution.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

For those who don't know, helicopter tape is used on the leading edge of the chopper blades. Amazon.com: ISC Helicopter-OG-HD Surface Guard Tape: 2 in. x 30 ft. (Transparent): Automotive

It is the same option stuff Winnebago protects the nose of the new coaches with. But as you can see from the link, this stuff is not cheap.

CaptBill, I have heard of the 3M 5200. Where do you get it?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I have bought it in Lowes or H.D., in standard caulking gun cartridges, and for a lot less than you will pay in marine supply stores, like West Marine. The unused portion in the cartridges will not have a very long shelf life at room temp, but it will keep for many months (or more), in the freezer. Simple take it out the day before you need it, and it still flows freely.

The stuff will get on your hands and clothes, and is difficult to remove, so I'd wear old clothes, and disposable latex gloves. It tends to self-level, when put on a horizontal surface, like the seam where the front cap joins fiberglass roof. But you don't need gobs of it, so long as it is 2 clean surfaces where they meet.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info on helicopter tape.

3M 5200 is a very permanent sealant. It has a counterpart -- 3M 4200 -- which is formulated for potentially disassembling parts.

Both can be found at any marine supply such as West Marine.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I have heard of the 3M 5200. Where do you get it?
You can get it at West Marine:

3M 5200 Polyurethane Adhesive/Sealant | West Marine

Make sure you check the expiry date for 3M.

While 3M 5200 is the ultimate sealant, standard construction grade polyurethane sealant comes a close second for adhesion, stretch-ability and longevity:

DAP Canada | Polyurethane Exterior White 300ML | Home Depot Canada
Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

And if you don't use the whole tube, wrap it in a bag & put it in your refrigerator for later use. It will dry up otherwise.
lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Yea, Stan. I got burnt with the date of the product once. What I did get is ProFlexRV. I got this from an RV dealer the other day before I learned about the 5300. This week has been a tough week; very physically demanding. I will try to work on the roof in the morning. Prescott has NO due in the morning so, as soon as it is warm enough, I can fix the roof. I am going to try to post before and after pictures. I hope they are 'readable'.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have heard that ProFlex is good stuff, but have never used it.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
I have heard that ProFlex is good stuff, but have never used it.
Its GeoCel but with a different name and more $
Old 04-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Thanks all for your suggestions. I ended up using ProFlex. It costs about $11 at the local RV store. The job is done and it looks like it will work.

I cleaned as much of the old stuff out of the seam and off the roof. Then I cleaned the repair area with windex after sweeping the junk out of the way. Then I stuffed the opened space between the roof and the cap with backer rod. I then applied the ProFlex and ran my finger over it to insure good contact on all hidden surfaces and a smooth finish. After a little retouching with extra caulk I was satisfied. I hope the following pictures make things a bit clearer. The pictures are not in the order I had hoped for. I think you can tell the before and after results. Time will tell if I did a good job or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caulk removal2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	60915   Click image for larger version

Name:	backer rod.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	60916  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProFlex.jpg