Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

After sucessfully getting our keyless entry system programmed with our personal code, we were thrilled (after two resets of the control module caused by us not understanding how to program our personal code.) Well, now we are not nearly as thrilled (However, keyless entry really is a a useful gadget.)

I discovered today that the remote unlock (little keychain transmitter) didn't work. Well, actually it locked the door instead of locking it. Keypad unlock worked, dash switch unlock worked, keychain remote didn't unlock.

Just got off of the phone with SCS/Frigette tech support and I was amazed at the answer. He said (get this) "if you lock the door with the keypad, you MUST unlock it with the keypad." You CANNOT lock the door with the keypad and unlock it with the remote He claimed they just discovered this quirk of the logic.

So what to do: I have to reprogram the controller for the keychain remotes. If this has happened to you, PM me and I will post the program sequence.

On another note, I have now experienced the "who do you call for a problem" thing. My check engine light has been coming on and off ever since we have had the coach. Lazydays tried to fix it with a new fuel filter to no avail - we suspect a sensor or sensor wiring issue now. I first called Freightliner and chatted with him about the problem. He was friendly and chatty, but was not willing to say bring it in here and we'll check it out first. He readily agreed that it is a dilemma about who gets first crack at the problem when it could be chassis or engine.

I had a nice chat with the Cummins shop in Ocala and he was very accomodating and said about 90% of check engine problems are his issue. Bring it in and we'll check it out, he said. "If it's not our problem we'll work with you since it is a new coach." This sounds great. We have an appointment for next week. Yahoo - we get to take the coach out

-John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

After sucessfully getting our keyless entry system programmed with our personal code, we were thrilled (after two resets of the control module caused by us not understanding how to program our personal code.) Well, now we are not nearly as thrilled (However, keyless entry really is a a useful gadget.)

I discovered today that the remote unlock (little keychain transmitter) didn't work. Well, actually it locked the door instead of locking it. Keypad unlock worked, dash switch unlock worked, keychain remote didn't unlock.

Just got off of the phone with SCS/Frigette tech support and I was amazed at the answer. He said (get this) "if you lock the door with the keypad, you MUST unlock it with the keypad." You CANNOT lock the door with the keypad and unlock it with the remote He claimed they just discovered this quirk of the logic.

So what to do: I have to reprogram the controller for the keychain remotes. If this has happened to you, PM me and I will post the program sequence.

On another note, I have now experienced the "who do you call for a problem" thing. My check engine light has been coming on and off ever since we have had the coach. Lazydays tried to fix it with a new fuel filter to no avail - we suspect a sensor or sensor wiring issue now. I first called Freightliner and chatted with him about the problem. He was friendly and chatty, but was not willing to say bring it in here and we'll check it out first. He readily agreed that it is a dilemma about who gets first crack at the problem when it could be chassis or engine.

I had a nice chat with the Cummins shop in Ocala and he was very accomodating and said about 90% of check engine problems are his issue. Bring it in and we'll check it out, he said. "If it's not our problem we'll work with you since it is a new coach." This sounds great. We have an appointment for next week. Yahoo - we get to take the coach out

-John

Old 06-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

"We have an appointment for next week. Yahoo - we get to take the coach out. "

And it'll be just as exciting when you get the coach BACK too!! We've done this several times since we live 10 miles from dealer. Ours is 'in there' again for ABS light, jack alarm, and IP alarm -- all happening on our 2,000 jaunt recently. We didn't realize we'd have so much fun!

Yeah....it's our 'first' baby too. So it goes with the territory.

Rose
Old 06-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

John,

What SCS Frigette told you is totally goofy. If it really works that way is it a sorry product.

As you know, I have had problems with the touchpad not working on my coach since it was purchased last November. I have written two letters to Winnebago and each time I get bounced back to a service advisor who says there is no widespread problem and they insist it should work. I am currently waiting a new touchpad and a new control box.

Thanks for the heads up. It would seem there would be a fix for this. You would think that SCS Frigette and Winnebago would want it to work on either the touchpad of the keychain remote.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Yeah....it's our 'first' baby too. So it goes with the territory.
Why does everyone who purchases a brand new coach just expect and accept all these problems to just be normall. They aren't and are totally UNACCEPTABLE. I guess when you buy a brand new house that you expect to get locked out of it just because. All of us consumers should demand quality for all the money we spend on these motorhomes. It sounds like the manufactures are just slapping them togeter and getting them out the door, then it's the consumers problem. Totally UNACCEPTABLE. JMHO
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bobpie:
Why does everyone who purchases a brand new coach just expect and accept all these problems to just be normall. They aren't and are totally UNACCEPTABLE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If the manufacturer or the dealer kept the coach and assigned a technician to live in it for a week and debug it, then you would have your 100% (well, maybe 99%) quality. Of course the cost of the product would reflect this added expense.

If I purchased this coach expecting everything to be perfect then I would be A) deluding myself and B) setting myself up for unmet expectations. So I choose to 'go with the flow.'

-John

Old 06-04-2005, 03:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

That's the right outlook, John

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

John,
Well said but me thinks it might take two weeks for the live in tech. You have a great positive attitude and you are correct in your expectations with the new coach. Some on the forum might remember that I had a new Safari coach for five years prior to getting my current 39QD Horizon. I can say that it took me almost two years to get that coach (the Safari)in order and the problems I experienced were far more serious than what is the usual gripes on this forum. Winnebago may have it's QC problems but they are nothing compared to what I and others experienced with Safari (Monaco). IMHO Most of the issues I have had with the Horizon have either been solved immediately by Winnebago or fixed by myself. The best of luck with the new coach. Remember, the debug is all part of the adventure.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote