Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I was looking at some other motorhomes and saw several that had the roof edge screwed to whatever was underneath it and some were screwed along the entire side about every 3 feet and some even had trim over the screws. Some just had screws, others screws and washers.
I am wondering if we could screw the famous Winne roof edge every 3 or 4 feet to the underneath the roof edge portion of the "J"channel. This would be in addition to the chaulk in the seam and would surely hold the roof in place no matter what...The diagram of the "J" channel cross section looks as though you could put small stainless screws and washers with chaulked threads along the roof edge and they would not show from a ground view......would appreciate your thoughts on this.....thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I was looking at some other motorhomes and saw several that had the roof edge screwed to whatever was underneath it and some were screwed along the entire side about every 3 feet and some even had trim over the screws. Some just had screws, others screws and washers.
I am wondering if we could screw the famous Winne roof edge every 3 or 4 feet to the underneath the roof edge portion of the "J"channel. This would be in addition to the chaulk in the seam and would surely hold the roof in place no matter what...The diagram of the "J" channel cross section looks as though you could put small stainless screws and washers with chaulked threads along the roof edge and they would not show from a ground view......would appreciate your thoughts on this.....thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

More importantly call Winnebago Customer Services and ask them about your roof warranty and whether of not it'll be compromised by adding all the extra fasteners.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Those screw holes would be awfully close to the edge of the 'glass. Most coaches I've seen that use screws generally use the screws to hold a long piece of trim down. The trim does a better job of distributing the clamping force of a larger area.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

What about expansion and contraction? Wouldn't it cause the roof to buckle if there is any?
Old 02-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

All the Newmar coachs I have owned had this metal strip around the perimeter of the fiberglass rap, an rubber roof. After placing corking in seam its screwed thru rubber an 'glass into plywood of roof support. With all the problems I have seen about the Winni roofs lately sounds like a good start for a "FIX".

Never had a problem with the way Newmar has done their roofs. Expansion and contraction has never created a problem either. Just food for thought for anyone with this problem. If someone does this I would use stainless screws, thats something Newmar has overlooked, cost I would guess.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Had a problem with my suncruiser, the roof poped out and would not stay in the channel. so I put a 3 foot section of 1/2 inch by 1/8 aluminum and screwed it down, This was last year. so for so good.

99 itasca suncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

at one time we had a 1999 adventurer 35U. In the middle of a thuderstorm in Montana the right side of the roof edge blew off. 18 inches from side up and about 30 feet long.
winnegbabo told me there was a run of these in 1999 and maybe into 2000 that the roof fiberglass was cut too short to lock down into the channel. they did a nice job of fixing tghe problem for me. Is this the problem with the 1999 mmodels here? tom
dogvetia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago actually admitted this.WOW When I called them, they told me it was my problem, since the mh was out of warranty. Even though they claim 10 years on the roof.

99 itasca suncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote