Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I was just thinking, dangerous I know.

We spend the summers in our motorhome along with two cats. When the weather is cooperating, we normally leave the door open so the cats can see out and mostly for cross-thru ventilation.

Without doing any prior research, I have a question; Is there a devise I can install from the exterior of the screen door to firmly lock it closed but still allow the exterior door to close, if need be? Latch of some sort?

We're afraid that the cats could be startled and bolt there-by opening the screen door and escaping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I was just thinking, dangerous I know.

We spend the summers in our motorhome along with two cats. When the weather is cooperating, we normally leave the door open so the cats can see out and mostly for cross-thru ventilation.

Without doing any prior research, I have a question; Is there a devise I can install from the exterior of the screen door to firmly lock it closed but still allow the exterior door to close, if need be? Latch of some sort?

We're afraid that the cats could be startled and bolt there-by opening the screen door and escaping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there a devise I can install from the exterior of the screen door to firmly lock it closed but still allow the exterior door to close, if need be? Latch of some sort? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your screen door can be pushed open merely by pressure against it??? Mine latches in it's own right, and we have to pull the latch handle to open it. When it is "latched" to the entry door, the slide bolt is pulled back enough that it does not catch the latch when the entry door is opened/closed.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We use a bungy cord wrapped around the grill and the inside handle while we are inside the coach. I don't know of anything to secure the outside of the door. I have an intrest in this application also.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I installed a traditional screen door spring (the kind they sell in most hardware stores). The ones they sell at Camping World are fine but a little weak. The larger ones used for "real" screen doors are much stronger and will keep any normal cat inside. As full-timers, we have two cats and it works for us. Hope this helps.

Jack
Old 03-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
--snip--Mine latches in it's own right, and we have to pull the latch handle to open it. When it is "latched" to the entry door, the slide bolt is pulled back enough that it does not catch the latch when the entry door is opened/closed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Same here...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mine is the same also, and really is one of the better latch designs I have seen... It takes a pretty good effort to open it, enough at least I don' think even if the little evil genius (cat) could concentrate his weight on the lever, I don't think he could open it...

Are you sure yours is latching correctly?

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We installed a traditional screen door hook with screw eye on the inside of the screen door. Put the eye on the door and the hook on the door jam. Be sure you place the hook where you can reach in the sliding part of the screened door to hook and unhook it from the outside.
BostonPups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We use a home made wooden peg. Put between the screen door and the metal latch post that sticks out. No one gets out without removing it first. Works good with little rug rats also. The can not get to it unless they can open the slide on the screen door.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Watch that slide thing.......my young cat has escaped twice. She learned how to slide it open. We now have a wadded piece of paper towel (not attractive I know) shoved in the groove. Holds it until we get home and think of something better.
Yes, they also open the door. They lay down on the bottom step and lean against the door. Takes them awhile, but both cats have learned how to do it.
Cats are exscape artists. Going to put a hook and eye on when we get home. Now being chilly, we keep the door closed.

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Don't know what model coach you have. I have put a sliding dead bolt between the door jamb and the screen door of my last three motor homes. This was done for exactly the same reason you mentioned. There is no way the cat can accidentally push the screen door open with the bolt in place. It is a simple matter for me to reach in and disengage the bolt to enter the coach.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C&C R:
Watch that slide thing.......my young cat has escaped twice. She learned how to slide it open. We now have a wadded piece of paper towel (not attractive I know) shoved in the groove. Holds it until we get home and think of something better.
Yes, they also open the door. They lay down on the bottom step and lean against the door. Takes them awhile, but both cats have learned how to do it.
Cats are exscape artists. Going to put a hook and eye on when we get home. Now being chilly, we keep the door closed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been using a small (maybe 6 inch) bungee strap going from the left side of the slide to the bottom of the latch block to keep Damncat in.
I plan to install a magnetic cabinet door latch when I get around to it.
By the way, I got some parts from a hardware store and installed a spring loaded plunger on top of the slide so that the screen door can be opened without having to open the slide.
I think the parts came from the sliding closet door section and were intended to keep the bottom of the door in a track.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all that replied with their own technique to keep-in the pets.

I ended-up going with rvten's suggestion. I cut a small piece of scrap oak I had laying around. It fits between the screen door and the metal latch post that sticks out. Simple and no drilling required
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I used a ball bungee. I hooked it on the hand rail, stick the ball through the slide to get to the handle, slide it back.

We have 3 cats, and have used this for 5 years, have had one get out the door yet, when we use it. Have been know to forget, and leave a drivers window open.

That is a nightmare getting them back in.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:14 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Mine stays shut fine BUT the cat is adept at sliding the cover back and going out that hole...we're talking seconds. I had to put a piece of Velcro to secure that sliding cover...you can unvelcro it from the inside and operate normal from the outside. I'll be he'll figure out how to pull the velco off soon.