Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone come up with a more secure latch for the screen door. We travel with a cat who likes to look out and leans on the door. Our standard latch that came with the coach is so "flimsy" we are afraid it will just pop open and he will get out.

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone come up with a more secure latch for the screen door. We travel with a cat who likes to look out and leans on the door. Our standard latch that came with the coach is so "flimsy" we are afraid it will just pop open and he will get out.

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am also shocked at the poor quality of the stock screen door on most RV's. Are there any decent upgrades available to the flimsy screen door with the silly sliding little door to get to the handle? There's got to be a better way !!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Try some magnetic stick on strips on screen door like maybe on your shower door.
Go to "find" type in "screen door opener" oemtech has made one that will open door from inside without moving slide door.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The Winnebago doors are quite sturdy compared to some of the others out there, however Damncat figured out to open the slide in about two days. Until I come up with a better solution I am using a small bungee strap to keep it closed.

Before we got the cat I got tired of having to open the slide to open the latch and came up with some parts from a hardware store that allow me to push a plunger down so the latch opens even though the slide is closed.

PS: I also had to put lengths of dowel in all the window screen tracks because she figured out how to slide the window screens open.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My Itasca Meridian has a very sturdy screen door. It also has a lever to push to open the door without having to slide the plastic pass thru portion open. I assumed that Winne would be the same??

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The 99's have a roller that attempts to keep the screen shut. We too use the bungee cord so the cat can't escape. I just wrote Winne and they replied the roller was all they had for the 99's. I am checking on a small rim lock now to see if I can make it work.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My Itasca Meridian has a very sturdy screen door. It also has a lever to push to open the door without having to slide the plastic pass thru portion open. I assumed that Winne would be the same?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Vectra has the same screen door described above. The sliding door is only used for access to the handle of the main door when the screen door is latched to it. I've converted the screen on the upper half of the door to the rollup version they introduced on the 2006 models.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hey Clay what was your solution to the opening the lever for the screen door. I have been off and on been trying to think of a inexpensive way to do this.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I purchased a white window lock from the local hardware store that matches the screen door color (the kind that turns and locks down two vertical open and closed windows) and mounted that on the inside of the screen door so my Beagle cannot push the screen door open. Dawg, this works great on our coaches, 99 Adventurers and should work on all of them. If you cat gets this mechanism open I will buy that cat and go on tour with him.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

My beagle (waiting at Rainbow Bridge)could almost get out with the bungee cord. My cat is an escape artist, but I will look at the window lock. We had considered using one, or a barrel lock, but have been looking for something to use withot opening the slider on the door.
If she can open the window lock, I will travel with her, but you could drive our bus.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote