Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Screen door complaints

We got the motor home we want. Everything's great about it (well, OK we're working on making everything great). One of the things my wife learned about DPs is that passenger visibility is not as good as it was in our gas coach.

The front door has a screen in front of the window and the co-pilot is complaining that it is affecting her view. I could remove the screen door. While the main door is closed most of the time (we live in Texas), there are times when we want to use the screen door.

Has anyone else gotten this complaint. Anyone made the screen or door removable so the view wasn't hampered? This will be another project and I am looking for some inspiration.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I don't know if it's still available, but take a look at this thread: Roll up screen for entry door .

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It is still available, but costs $259.47

3T's Atwood DP Rollup Screen Door Kit
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Atwood's site says it fits Winnebago diesels 2007 and older, so it may not fit the OP's 2008.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I ran into some folks that solved the problem. They simply removed the existing screening material and had a shop that makes screens make them a "snap in" replacement. It was a frame with screen material that was held in place with small, twist locks. I wish I could explain it better or had pictures.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Our 08 Winnebago has a rollup screen on the screen door, maybe ask Winnebago if there is one available for your motorhome. It is nice to be able to see out the door window while driving such as at an intersection. Definitely better at night.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Michael,seeing you are located in the Loan Star State,Try this link.They are right in Tx.
I have no clue if they can help you, but they can make screen doors for just about any door or window opening. Wounder if they could make one that would store the screen inside the door frame like some of the screens used on homes.
You could pull the pins and slide the screen down when on the road and back up when parked. They made a screen door for me and where helpful good old boys.
If this creates a new product, please cut me in on a small part of the action.

QUALITY SCREEN CO, Window Screens & Solar Screen Supplies, Kits & Parts Online

They shipped me three before I got one that was not beat up in shipping,not one they will soon forget.

Dick
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

check around, we bought a roll up screen for ours and it sure didn't cost $200. MH isn't here right now or could give you the brand.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I ran into some folks that solved the problem. They simply removed the existing screening material and had a shop that makes screens make them a "snap in" replacement. It was a frame with screen material that was held in place with small, twist locks. I wish I could explain it better or had pictures.
My wife came up the the idea of a roll up screen I poo pooed it and suggested getting a framed screen like this. Depending on the price, I am not sure which way I am going to go.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

We went with the one from 3T but I sure don't remember it costing >$200. Wherever you find one... just find one and do it! It really is much nicer.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
My wife came up the the idea . . .

Michael, THAT IS the answer to your question!!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

$259 for a happy wife ... NOW THAT IS A DEAL

I installed one of 3T's retractable screens as a birthday present for my wife a few years ago ... she comments how nice it is not have to look through the screen on most trips ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I bought a screen kit from Home Depot, gray/black frame, and made a replacement in less than an hour. Trimmed the original screen material from the door and attached the replacement to the frame with velcro. It matches the original door so closely you really have to look to realize it does not belong there.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
I bought a screen kit from Home Depot, gray/black frame, and made a replacement in less than an hour. Trimmed the original screen material from the door and attached the replacement to the frame with velcro. It matches the original door so closely you really have to look to realize it does not belong there.
How did you keep it in. Did you put a flange somewhere?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I heard back from 3T. They cannot supply a retractable screen for my door. It seems that the screen door changed in 2008. My plan B is to replace the screen with a removable one.

I was looking at one of the window screens in the motor home. It's got a built-in flange on the edge of it. I haven't been able to find the extrusion that they used to make it. Short of talking Atwood into selling me some extrusion, does anyone know where I can get some?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

My replacement screen is sized just a bit larger than the original screen opening. The frame does not fit into the opening but could be made to fit if that is your desire. Velcro on the door frame at the corners of the screen opening and velcro on the new frame hold it in place very nicely.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door