Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Angry Scratched Headlamps Lens

The headlamp lenses on our 2004 Adventurer have become badly scratched. I’m presuming it happened when I had the rig polished & waxed but I can’t prove it.

Has anyone used a “plastic” scratch remover successfully? If so, can you name the brand and where you obtained it? Note: I’ve already tried the Novis products without ANY noticeable difference.

The lens itself it not replaceable and the entire headlamp unit cost $159ea. – ouch!

Thanks…
Old 09-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My fog light lenses were very discolored and rough, but not scratched. The little kit sold at Wal-Mart in their auto parts section worked to turn the lenses clear and smooth again. I do not know if it was a Novis product or not.

It is a series of wet fine grit paper that you use in multiple directions, starting with the roughest to the finest grit. You finish with the polish. Kit was cheap $10.00 and it worked pretty well. I slacked on the elbow grease on the second one and had to redo it again, worth the try!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

3m headlight restorer

Assuming your headlight lenses are plastic:

I have tried all (over 12) of the do it yourself headlight restoration kits available at walmart and auto parts houses.

The only one that has a chance of working is the 3M brand that comes with a wheel you chuck up in your drill. It normally takes two of the kits to do both headlights.

I finally purchased a complete kit from 3M ($ 400.00) that works perfectly. I have restored over 30 sets of headlight lenses that now look like new.

The Kit:
3" air sander - dual action
3" air polisher
Velcro backing plates for both tools
500 grit P-500 dry sand paper
600 grit P-600 dry sand paper
800 grit P-800 dry sand paper
1000 grit P-1000 wet sand paper
3000 grit P-3000 wet sand paper
3M plastic cleaner
3M plastic polish

The small kit from walmart has only some of the papers above and only a small package of polish. It will only work if the lense is not scratched nor cloudy.

There is a video available on youtube.com for both $ 15 and $ 400 kits.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsr71 View Post
The headlamp lenses on our 2004 Adventurer have become badly scratched. I’m presuming it happened when I had the rig polished & waxed but I can’t prove it.

Has anyone used a “plastic” scratch remover successfully? If so, can you name the brand and where you obtained it? Note: I’ve already tried the Novis products without ANY noticeable difference.

The lens itself it not replaceable and the entire headlamp unit cost $159ea. – ouch!

Thanks…
someone on this forum recommended wiping the lens with acetone. i have not tried it yet. but, if i do, i will do one small corner first to see how well it works.
harbor freight has a polish kit that has drill wheels, sand paper, and polish.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I used the meguars plastic scratch remover. It worked on my lens but I did not have a deep scratch. Mine was more scuffed than scrached. While in Florida I did see a fellow have someone come out to repair his scrached and foggy lens. He charged him $100.00, they looked like new when done. I was suprised how good they looked.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I just noticed a sign at Walmart today that said $39 and they'd do it while you wait.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Nope

I have redone several that walmart had attempted. They simply pull a $ 15 kit off of the shelf, and use a cordless drill. When the battery is dead on the cordless they are though.

The plastic polish that comes with the kit must never be rubbed on a painted surface. If you have walmart do it, remind them to mask off the paint.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote