Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Schwintek Slideout - Here we go again!

Once again, my slideout is not working properly. Over the weekend, the slideout made two loud popping noises when I extended it. No issue retracting the slideout at the end of my camping trip.

Today, I decided to try my slideout. The slide out extended a couple of inches and stopped. I retracted it and tried it again. This time, the slideout started to extend crooked. I stopped and retracted it again. I went outside the coach and found a metal piece from the awning mechanism over the slideout had broken off and was laying on the ground. It is the piece with a knob on it that rotates when the awning extends with the slideout.

My slideout was repaired two years ago because it would not extend.

So, tomorrow I will going to the dealership for repair.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Your rig is obviously out of warrantee unless of course you have a service contract. I would be interested to know if Winnebago will be covering the cost of repairs as these slide issues seem to be a design flaw. Also, does your rig have the slim rack power gear or the old style fixed track? Sorry about your troubles and hope they will be resolved for you.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had this same type issue happen with our main slide, loud pops.

It sounds like the gear jumped some of the rail 'teeth' while extending, though since you retracted it later it doesn't seem like it was the issue(?)

when this happened to us, the issue became that the rear bottom of the slide was now 'out of sync' of the others - with the slide in, the bottom rear was still out 1 1/2" to 2", or 3 or 4 'teeth'. when the top and bottom of one end of the slide are out of sync, there is no real way to solve the issue other than to either remove the gear to re sync, or replace the gear and column, as Thor did for us at the service center in Wakarusa.
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Super View Post
Your rig is obviously out of warrantee unless of course you have a service contract. I would be interested to know if Winnebago will be covering the cost of repairs as these slide issues seem to be a design flaw. Also, does your rig have the slim rack power gear or the old style fixed track? Sorry about your troubles and hope they will be resolved for you.
Fortunately, I do have a service contact. I have the Schwintek system, so I am assuming it is the standard fixed track system. The only difference with mine is when they made the first repair, Schwintek supposedly upgraded the track and it was black instead of silver. So, the tracks on one side are black and silver on the other side.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I had this same type issue happen with our main slide, loud pops.

It sounds like the gear jumped some of the rail 'teeth' while extending, though since you retracted it later it doesn't seem like it was the issue(?)

when this happened to us, the issue became that the rear bottom of the slide was now 'out of sync' of the others - with the slide in, the bottom rear was still out 1 1/2" to 2", or 3 or 4 'teeth'. when the top and bottom of one end of the slide are out of sync, there is no real way to solve the issue other than to either remove the gear to re sync, or replace the gear and column, as Thor did for us at the service center in Wakarusa.
Hmmm.... The slide did not "pop" this time, but it did the last two times I used it. The system is obviously flawed. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to take it in for repair. Plus, the piece from the outside awning mechanism broke. Maybe that malfunctioned causing the slide to malfunction???
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

More Schwintek slide issues

On our, bought new April 2013, 2013 Sightseer 33C the large drivers side slide pops and bangs both in and out. Just started about 4 trips ago. This last trip it took multiple times with engine running to extend. It retraced fine, however while driving on right hand curves (freeway on ramps) the slide banged and seemed to jump out a tooth or so. The front lower corner is out about and inch. All other corners are in flush. As it's out of warranty I took it to my regular RV repair shop. Today they called and tell me I need to take the coach to a Winnebago service facility as they cannot find the problem. The repair shop has spoken with Winnebago service who said the slide system was poorly engineered and to take the unit to Winnebago for repair.

Before I do that has anyone had Winnebago step up for the repair cost on these defective slide systems? Any suggestions on how I should proceed.

Bill Dwyer
2013 Sightseer 33C
11,000 miles
San Jose, CA
Bill596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The new solution from Winnebago is New tracks that they are installing. The Schwintech didn't work well either (black color).
We have had the originals (silver) and Schwintech (black) going bad. Pops when extending, gets out of track and that's the end of slide out (full side slide out is just too heavy).
The new ones I think is called Protech
Nxkharra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Correction the new system is Powergear. Only certain dealers in country can install them as not all dealers have been trained to install.
Winnebago is installing these in their new coaches and claim they have not had issues with them....too New to tell. Full side slide sucks.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Our 2016 Vista LX 27N is now in for repair on the passenger Full Wall Slide. This slide has the new and improved Powergear System. Camping World says that after 7,000 miles that the slide has excessive wear and the column and motors needed replacing. All new parts we're installed Friday and now they cannot get it to work at all. The slide has been noisy since new. The other two slides also pop a lot so hope they break before warranty runs out. Too many things have broke on this rv that I may have to go back to Forest City again for repair.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Not comforting to hear this about Powergear. After our installation we have the MH in storage and have not been using it. We will be on the road soon and will update.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Hmmm.... The slide did not "pop" this time, but it did the last two times I used it. The system is obviously flawed. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to take it in for repair. Plus, the piece from the outside awning mechanism broke. Maybe that malfunctioned causing the slide to malfunction???
A jammed slide topper would prevent the slide from operating properly. That broken piece you found is the smoking gun.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Our 2016 Vista LX 27N is now in for repair on the passenger Full Wall Slide. This slide has the new and improved Powergear System. Camping World says that after 7,000 miles that the slide has excessive wear and the column and motors needed replacing. All new parts we're installed Friday and now they cannot get it to work at all. The slide has been noisy since new. The other two slides also pop a lot so hope they break before warranty runs out. Too many things have broke on this rv that I may have to go back to Forest City again for repair.
Don't wait for those slides to fail. Ours started popping and the dealer repaired. The popping is cracks on the column where the motor mounts.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Schwintek was absorbed by Lippert. More recently, Lippert bought Power Gear. I wonder if they are just calling the Schwintek mechanism Power Gear now as Schwintek has a poor reputation.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
Schwintek was absorbed by Lippert. More recently, Lippert bought Power Gear. I wonder if they are just calling the Schwintek mechanism Power Gear now as Schwintek has a poor reputation.
Probably, it IS all the same after all. I just hope the Powergear side of the aquisition has the most influence overall if you know what I mean. [emoji41]

Regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hi sorry to hear you are having the same problem we did. Ours turned into a BIG nightmare! We left in July last yr for Lake Tahoe from Ventura. We heard a banging in the Big full length slider. We have a Sightseer 33C as well. So in Fillmore I just opened and closed that big slider thinking I hadn't closed it fully on our last trip out. When we got to a cool 114 degree Mojave we stopped at a gas station and I walked around to check that slider only to find the bottom was 6-7 inches out while the top was in. So we opened the slider all the way and tried to close it. There was a terrible grinding noise as the top came in first and tilted the bottom was grinding up the floor and linoleum! Breaking base boards on the way in.. Good Sam came and helped us get it back in jumping gears. After we got home we took it to Camp World in Bakersfield where we bought it. After 3 1/2 months of hassles and delays Winnebago got a tech out there and installed all new motors and gears. on them! They ALSO found the front passenger slider rams were broken and stripped. So it looks like from reading all the forums this was a really BAD system, motors and gears all not nearly strong enough to handle the weight....what a mess. Myadvice is to call Winnebago...best of luck to all and I hope yours doesn't trash your vacation like it didours Dave and Cindy
Old 03-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Are these issues with Schwintek or Powergear?
Winnebago maintains that Powergear has not shown any issues.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Are these issues with Schwintek or Powergear?
Winnebago maintains that Powergear has not shown any issues.
Our rig came with both the schwintek and the powergear systems. The Schwintek system is on our smallest slide; a closet. The powergear slim track systems are on both our larger slides; the kitchen/bedroom slide, almost a full wall slide on the passenger side, and the dinette slide on the drivers side of the coach. Both of these powergear slim track systems have failed on our coach and have been replaced with what appear to be the same parts only new. I read on this form that these parts are an upgraded version but only time will tell. We are keeping our fingers crossed every time we extend our slides.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We also have a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 27N. While camping at the Tampa RV Show we had our passenger Full Wall Slide fail. We we're lucky to get the slide in after multiple attempts. It sounded like the upper motor was loose causing the slide to jump and grind while retracting. We took it to Camping World to get it repaired under warranty. This happened after less than 8,000 miles on the RV and 8 months of ownership. They called to tell me that the Power Gear unit had to be replaced due to excessive wear. Took 3 weeks to get parts only to have it fail after installing the new column and motors. They called Winnebago and still could not get it to work. After sitting for 3 days I called Winnebago Customer Service and asked for help. Mitch offered to call Camping World and talk to the tech and see if he can solve the issue. Got the RV back yesterday and works better than new. Heading to Forest City next month to have the slide checked and to have the dining room Power Gear unit replaced as it is close to failing.
Anyone who says the new Power Gear Unit has solved all previous problems is wrong as I am not the only one that crosses their fingers when operating them.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

What do other RV companies use (Tiffin, Newmar, ....)? Anyone knows?
Old 03-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

hydraulics
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout