Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Any reason Winnebago doesn't do the same? Cost?
Nxkharra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Any reason Winnebago doesn't do the same? Cost?
Well, they did do the same. They used HWH for a number of years. Newmar's new full wall slide design is HWH. Then WBGO had good luck with Powergear driven slides. My full wall on the Ellipse is Powergear.

But, the problems began when I speculate and suspect a cheaper (dollar wise) design, the Schwintek in wall motor/track electric design was allowed in the mix. A design that in theory works fine. But the components were never strong enough to handle the strain of the heavier slides. The small slides, no problem.

It's an experiment that WBGO and others have learned the hard way. It's cost them more than any higher cost design would have on the front (production) end I'm sure. Did this have anything to do with the former CEO leaving the company the SAME day as his "resignation"? Hmmmm, interesting. I don't know, but it makes you wonder.

Since then, Schwintek has purchased Powergear, (wish it was other way around). But anyway, they've beefed up the in wall design motors, redesigned the track, and,.....the jury's still out on whether this is permanently fixed.

It's a shame the harm this kind of mess can inflict on a company that builds a fine coach, that I think in several ways is underrated.

Regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I had a Schwintek motor failure in our previous 5th wheel slide-out. The problem I see with Schwintek is that they have experienced many different types of failures do to weak engineering with the motors, rails and electronics. Our failure was a cracked motor housing, likely caused by the factory over tightening the mounting set screw. I'm also aware of many failures caused by the controller board and the rails. Motor synchronization is a critical process in order to ensure the slide travels in and out uniformly.

Besides controller board and rail/gear failures, some people have experienced continued issues with their Schwintek slide-outs even after repairs. I suspect those that had only one motor replaced by a service tech, likely ended up having ongoing issues because Schwintek had made upgrades to their motors over the past few years. It is critical that the motors are a matched revision pair for proper synchronization operation.

I have found the best way to keep Schwintek's operating is to frequently clean and lube the rails and motor with a CRC silicon spray lube. Over-all the Schwintek system is a weak design. Winnebago should work with Schwintek (Lippert) on an across the board recall for all owners with the old design. It would go a long way in reducing customer negativity towards these companies. Long-term corporate money would be saved and their customer base would be more compelled to purchase their products in the future.
sinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

**Update**

My dealership has had the RV a little over a week now. The slide is operating fine, but they cannot figure out how the awning brake at the top of the slide broke. They have operated the slide several times over the past couple of days and everything seems to be working fine. They inspected the rails and do not see any excessive wear. They also inspected under the slide (cables, wires, etc.) and nothing seems to be causing the slide to catch or bind on anything.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:31 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Great to hear John, you had me scared there.....although it is unfortunate about the awning brake, very strange mystery for sure.

Thanks for the update.

Best regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
We also have a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 27N. While camping at the Tampa RV Show we had our passenger Full Wall Slide fail. We we're lucky to get the slide in after multiple attempts. It sounded like the upper motor was loose causing the slide to jump and grind while retracting. We took it to Camping World to get it repaired under warranty. This happened after less than 8,000 miles on the RV and 8 months of ownership. They called to tell me that the Power Gear unit had to be replaced due to excessive wear. Took 3 weeks to get parts only to have it fail after installing the new column and motors. They called Winnebago and still could not get it to work. After sitting for 3 days I called Winnebago Customer Service and asked for help. Mitch offered to call Camping World and talk to the tech and see if he can solve the issue. Got the RV back yesterday and works better than new. Heading to Forest City next month to have the slide checked and to have the dining room Power Gear unit replaced as it is close to failing.
Anyone who says the new Power Gear Unit has solved all previous problems is wrong as I am not the only one that crosses their fingers when operating them.
The second time the slide failed, did the motors and columns have to be replaced again or was it just an installation issue that Winnebago had to work thru with Camping World?
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Just an installation issue. Have had good luck with the Midway Florida Camping World but feel they we're over their head with this slide. They called Winnebago for tech help but for whatever reason it did not help. I feel that had I not called Winnebago Customer Service it would still be sitting on their lot. My main problem is my Service Advisor who was great is now gone and my coach was handed over to a new hire and she is in over her head. Had a terrible time getting information and callbacks
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Could someone please explain the system that Newmar uses for their full side slide. How is the experience with that?
Old 03-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Just an installation issue. Have had good luck with the Midway Florida Camping World but feel they we're over their head with this slide. They called Winnebago for tech help but for whatever reason it did not help. I feel that had I not called Winnebago Customer Service it would still be sitting on their lot. My main problem is my Service Advisor who was great is now gone and my coach was handed over to a new hire and she is in over her head. Had a terrible time getting information and callbacks
I think what frustrates me the most is not being kept up to date or receiving callbacks when I bring my motorhome in for service. I tell them from the start, I realize it can be a lengthy process, but please keep me up to date and return my phone call when I call. Luckily, I deal with the same people when I bring my motorhome in for service. They know me and what I expect.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

I'm missing something. The original post looked to me like the topper roller failed and jammed the slide. That is not a slide mechanism failure, it's a topper failure.

We have a 2102 Schwintek that failed once so I did a lot of reading then and have been watching since. It seems there have been yearly changes to address problems as they developed. As was said, the system design is an elegant solution if it works as designed. The problems all seem to be around not building in the correct clearances to control the mesh between the track and gears and overloading the mechanism. Shimming track to make it work and changing tracks due to premature wear would point in those directions. That is also the reports that I have seen from folks getting repairs done. That would seem to be an issue of design and quality control of the slide and side wall as much as the mechanism. That has also been offered up as an explanation.

Anyone interested can do a quick search on YouTube and find several good video's on the system.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill596 View Post
On our, bought new April 2013, 2013 Sightseer 33C the large drivers side slide pops and bangs both in and out. Just started about 4 trips ago. This last trip it took multiple times with engine running to extend. It retraced fine, however while driving on right hand curves (freeway on ramps) the slide banged and seemed to jump out a tooth or so. The front lower corner is out about and inch. All other corners are in flush. As it's out of warranty I took it to my regular RV repair shop. Today they called and tell me I need to take the coach to a Winnebago service facility as they cannot find the problem. The repair shop has spoken with Winnebago service who said the slide system was poorly engineered and to take the unit to Winnebago for repair.

Before I do that has anyone had Winnebago step up for the repair cost on these defective slide systems? Any suggestions on how I should proceed.

Bill Dwyer
2013 Sightseer 33C
11,000 miles
San Jose, CA
I had a nightmare with my Winnebago 33c I wrote about 3 days ago but I don't see it in the forums AND I JUST wrote a long 3 paragraph response to you and anyone with these sliders. I am JUST SHOCKED at how many of these forums, articles, and internet stories about these sliders. Our problem happened out in the Mojave Desert at 116 degrees in July on the FIRST DAY of our two week trip! The BIG slider on the driver side was banging and rattling so when we stopped to gas up in Mojave I opened the slider all the way out and tried to close it. The top tipped in and the bottom was about 8 inches behind so being so badly tipped inward the base boards tore up the floor and linoleum and did a lot of other damage. Thank God we got a GREAT experienced Good Sam mechanic out to help us. With 3 six foot crow bars we got it to jump the gears to get it back. SO ON RUINED TRIP! We still went on to Lake Tahoe but had a broken slider the rest of the trip. So we drove it to Bakersfield Camp World after we got home in July and got it back the LAST WEEKEND OF OCTOBER! YES over 4 months to get it fixed! And yes we too had to wait for someone from Winnebago to come out to Bakersfield to fix it! By the way, the guy from Good Sam that came from Tehachapi to Mojave to help us said that THIS was the most popular calls they got! Newer motorhomes with broken sliders out in the desert! And it was 116,4 degrees that day! It took us 4 and one half hours to get that slider repairs enough to drive on our way to Lake Tahoe! He said ALL the problems they saw were motorhomes with the huge sliders and they were still using the SAME sliders they were putting in small trailers. Since then I have seen tons of trailers and small motorhomes with 6-8 foot sliders with the SAME motors, tracks, and gears as my Winnebago 33c with approx. 20 ft slider that's probably 2000 lbs approx. THE SAME MOTORS AND GEARS! SERIOUSLY? And the Good Sam guy said he has seen tons of $300,000 to $600,000 motorhomes with the SAME junky equipment breaking as well! Isaw one of you made a comment that Winnebago and ALL of those companies who made those should do a VOLUNTARY RECALL on EVERY unit they sold! NOW! I don't know about all of you good folks out there but I am NOT a millionaire! This coach cost us a fortune and it IS our retirement! Because our coach was only 14 months old Winnebago paid this bill. While they were waiting for parts I asked them to check on our passenger side front slider that was "rocking back and forth and jamming a bit when we opened or closed it. Two different techs at Camp World told me that the rocking was NORMAL in the past and NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT... So THIS time I INSISTED that the Winnebago tech look at it while he was there waiting for the new motors on the left slider. He called me up and said that ALL 8 bolts and nuts on the ram that attaches to the slider steel brackets WERE COMPLETELY STRIPPED and torn out of the threads and the ends of BOTH rams were pounded open and SPLIT! That slider was DESTROYING ITSELF! And Camp World told me THAT WAS NORMAL! When it was all done Camp World told me that bill would have been $5000 to $6000 and I was LUCKY Winnebago picked up the bill. I feel they SHOULD HAVE !! Yes it was NICE of Winnebago since it was out of Warranty, but what about ALL of those people who have to pay that bill on something that costs as much as these coaches do? Sorry this is SO LONG but my message to you is this, I HAVE heard of quite a few of these slider problems that were 3-4 yrs old and the owners were told they would have to pay for it. They did the same thing I did and more, they KEPT CALLING Winnebago or whoever put those JUNK slider motors and tracks and gears in and INSISTED they cover it like they did with others. My last message is this, someone out there who also had the slider nightmare made a VERY smart comment. MAKE SURE THEY REPLACE THE ENTIRE SET! EVERYTHING ON BOTH SIDES! ALL slider gears, all motors and ALL tracks! And beware as he found out that they came out with a new replacement set that ALSO had a bunch of problems! GEES! Make SURE they replace them with the NEW 500-1 motor / gear set. I look at my NEW set and see the HEAVY duty motors, gears, and especially the track and then look at the new small trailers that had the same tiny equipment as my old set had and cant believe the huge difference! Best of luck to ALL of you! CHECK ALL OF YOUR SLIDERS! Blessings and safe roads to all Dave and Cindy aka Hotseer
Old 03-06-2017, 01:18 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Hi Dave (Hotseer) here..Yes we had the SAME problem and it turned into a NIGHTMARE! Your slider motors, gears, and tracks are weak JUNK! It ALL needs to be replaced by Winnebago and THEY should pay for it! DONT WAIT until you have the mess we had in the Mojave Desert at 116.5 degrees! AND CHECK YOUR PASSENGER SIDE FRONT SLIDER that the couch is in! Tocheck it open the slider ALL the way out. From your entry stairs area look down at the slider ram bracket and make sure there is NO space where the slider ram bolts to the slider bracket, I thought the four bolts were just loose..No they were COMPLETELY STRIPPED! Then go over to the other side towards the front of the coach andlook backatthat bracket. If your slider rocks back and forth top to bottom instead of smoothly opening get it repaired by Winnebago! It should open smoothly even though it hasa slight dropto it. Its not the best design. The threaded holes in my brackets were ALL stripped and pummelled by the ram! To fixit they just drilled out the threads and thru bolted the brackets with MUCH bigger bolts,,,, you can call me if you want best of luck, Dave
Old 03-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Could someone please explain the system that Newmar uses for their full side slide. How is the experience with that?
Up until 2015, Newmar used a 1 or 2 cog wheel and track system. The wheel(s) are driven by an electric motor. The track(s) is mounted under the floor of the slide. The weight of the slide is supported by rollers mounted on the bottom of the slide which roll in and out on your interior floor. Entegra also uses a similar system for their slides.

In 2016, Newmar changed the slide system for full wall slides in DutchStar and above. The new system is from HWH. It actually lifts the slide and "floats" it in over the interior floor. The slide mechanism framework actually carries all of the weight of the slide. Newmar made this change because the HWH system is capable of carrying more weight than the cog and track system and in 2016 Newmar removed carpet from the slides and put in ceramic tile flooring adding several hundred pounds in the process.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:07 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for great explanation. What is the experience with these systems. Any failure reported?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotseer View Post
Hi Dave (Hotseer) here..Yes we had the SAME problem and it turned into a NIGHTMARE! Your slider motors, gears, and tracks are weak JUNK! It ALL needs to be replaced by Winnebago and THEY should pay for it! DONT WAIT until you have the mess we had in the Mojave Desert at 116.5 degrees! AND CHECK YOUR PASSENGER SIDE FRONT SLIDER that the couch is in! Tocheck it open the slider ALL the way out. From your entry stairs area look down at the slider ram bracket and make sure there is NO space where the slider ram bolts to the slider bracket, I thought the four bolts were just loose..No they were COMPLETELY STRIPPED! Then go over to the other side towards the front of the coach andlook backatthat bracket. If your slider rocks back and forth top to bottom instead of smoothly opening get it repaired by Winnebago! It should open smoothly even though it hasa slight dropto it. Its not the best design. The threaded holes in my brackets were ALL stripped and pummelled by the ram! To fixit they just drilled out the threads and thru bolted the brackets with MUCH bigger bolts,,,, you can call me if you want best of luck, Dave
Thanks for the tip i just checked ours all was good. I will keep an eye on them however!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks for great explanation. What is the experience with these systems. Any failure reported?
The older cog and track system seems to be as reliable as one would expect from a system that has been used for more than a decade. The only failures are usually related to worn out motors due to age and occasional cracked motor housings due to motor mount bolts that have loosened.

The newer HWH system seems to be very reliable but the floor of the slides have a tendency to be out of level up to a half inch (lean outward). Newmar has been working on a permanent fix and an adjustment system so they can be tuned in better. I don't know if this has been totally solved yet.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:49 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

I am now so scared to extend our full side slide with newly installed Powergear. Will be on the road end of this month.
If not on a concrete pad and not close to a repair facility we are planning not to extend.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Just had our Full Wall Slide fail on our 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 27N. This unit came equipped with the new Powergear Slimtrak System. We had it replaced at Camping World in Midway, Florida and took over 1 month. Last weekend the Drivers side dining slide failed the same way as the other. Started with noise and jerking side to side followed by a large cracking sound like breaking wood. Again same as the other. We now have an appointment at the factory in Forest City on April 5th. Leaving for the 1,300 mile drive next Wednesday as we don't trust Camping World to touch it again. Will have the repaired full wall slide checked because it slows considerably halfway in and out. Have a half dozen other issues to get fixed as our warranty runs out May 27th. Hope they extend Slide warranty while there. Also have issues with full body paint flaking off for the third time. $8,500 upgrade not well spent. Really like the unit but not reliable enough for only 8,000 miles.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Power Gear was supposed to be the solution for Schwintek but in my case the Schwintek bedroom slide has been troublefree. Maybe because it is a small slide.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

All the slide problems seem to be on gas As. How about the diesel As?
gosman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout