Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you had a problem with your Schwintek Slide where a visit to a Dealer was needed
YES 168 58.95%
NO 117 41.05%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Smile Schwintek slide

I have 1 2014 Winnebago View "M" model with one large slide, encompassing the dinette and sofa. After a long trip, approximately 1500 miles, My wife and I perceived a loud squeaking noise while traveling, and traced it to the slide area. I contacted the service manager at Lichtsinn RV for guidance. He suggested a lack of lubrication would cause the problem. I lubed the track with a dry spray product to no avail. He also mentioned a lube point concerning the "ginn" sp? I finally found a youtube video produced by Schwintek, that showed where to lube the gears and "ginn". Eureka, it worked, but now before every trip I extend the slide and relube. So far, no trouble with extending or retracting slide, but I am still a little fearful after reading numerous posts on failures. Any updated info would be welcomed. P.S. I now have 16,000 miles on unit and it is two weeks out of factory warranty, and no issues except the air sofa leaked and was replaced under warranty. Besides wind noise up front, We are very happy with the unit, and would purchase again. (In fact , this unit replaced a 2013 "M" unit destroyed after 4 months ownership by an infamous Oklahoma Tornado)
Geoffpruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Do all new Winnebagos that have slides use the Schwintek mechanism?
The Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

5x fail

This is our second cross country trip.
We have had our full wall slide fail a total of 5 times now. One of the "fixes" was done at the factory. It is my firm belief that there is a major design flaw.
we have been delayed a total of one month and approximately $1,200 extra dollars for hotel and eating out.
Right now we dont dare open the driver's slide out for fear it will get stuck open.
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I haven't had any problems with my slide outs except for yesterday and when I retracted it I heard a few clicks. Well I called WBGO and they suggested I get some CRC Power lube and spray the end of the motor housing and the gibs. There is a service tip on their website where you can download instructions on how to do it.

The other thing they told me was the big salide on the drivers side takes quite a bit of current so it is best to run the engine while operating it. Also they told me to level coach first before operating slide out.

Lastly for those having problems with Swintek slideouts and it is in a WBGO I would call WBGO before bad mouthing anything and even call swintek as they are nice people too.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I haven't had any problems with my slide outs except for yesterday and when I retracted it I heard a few clicks. Well I called WBGO and they suggested I get some CRC Power lube and spray the end of the motor housing and the gibs. There is a service tip on their website where you can download instructions on how to do it.

The other thing they told me was the big salide on the drivers side takes quite a bit of current so it is best to run the engine while operating it. Also they told me to level coach first before operating slide out.

Lastly for those having problems with Swintek slideouts and it is in a WBGO I would call WBGO before bad mouthing anything and even call swintek as they are nice people too.

Consider yourself lucky not to have had problems with your Schwintek slides. The people at THOR are nice as well; however, the fact remains that the Schwintek slide system is "fragile" to say the least, particularly when used on full wall and/or slides with heavy kitchen equipment. THOR "improved" the system beginning in 2014, using additional tracks, heavier shafts, larger motors, etc. When I took delivery of my coach the tech that did my walk through recommended I get an "extended service plan" if I intended to keep the coach long term, as slide out problems were a matter of when not if.
A forum thread consolidating Schwintek slide system posts ACROSS ALL manufacturers would be very helpful.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffpruett View Post
I have 1 2014 Winnebago View "M" model with one large slide, encompassing the dinette and sofa. After a long trip, approximately 1500 miles, My wife and I perceived a loud squeaking noise while traveling, and traced it to the slide area. I contacted the service manager at Lichtsinn RV for guidance. He suggested a lack of lubrication would cause the problem. I lubed the track with a dry spray product to no avail. He also mentioned a lube point concerning the "ginn" sp? I finally found a youtube video produced by Schwintek, that showed where to lube the gears and "ginn". Eureka, it worked, but now before every trip I extend the slide and relube. So far, no trouble with extending or retracting slide, but I am still a little fearful after reading numerous posts on failures. Any updated info would be welcomed. P.S. I now have 16,000 miles on unit and it is two weeks out of factory warranty, and no issues except the air sofa leaked and was replaced under warranty. Besides wind noise up front, We are very happy with the unit, and would purchase again. (In fact , this unit replaced a 2013 "M" unit destroyed after 4 months ownership by an infamous Oklahoma Tornado)
The lubrication "fix" is temporary at best and you shouldn't have to do it, especially this often. I have owned 5 motorhomes over the last 20 years, one used Winnebago, one new Fleetwood Bounder, two new Holiday Ramblers (Endeavor and Ambassador) and now this 2014 Journey. I never lubed any of these slides and had only one minor problem with a bedroom slide on the Ambassador (not related to lack of lubricant) that I was able to fix myself. Lubing the Winnebago Journey did not help, it failed anyway and is has been in the shop for 2 weeks so far. I agree there is a major design flaw with the Schwinteck mechanisms on the larger slides and no amount of CRC Lube will fix it. I believe companies who continue to use the Lippert slides will be making a grievous error. Thor has tried to abate the problem with their coaches, but, to my knowledge, Winnebago will not even admit there is a problem, but the techs in the field will admit it.....anonymously.
lestortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Consider yourself lucky not to have had problems with your Schwintek slides. The people at THOR are nice as well; however, the fact remains that the Schwintek slide system is "fragile" to say the least, particularly when used on full wall and/or slides with heavy kitchen equipment. THOR "improved" the system beginning in 2014, using additional tracks, heavier shafts, larger motors, etc. When I took delivery of my coach the tech that did my walk through recommended I get an "extended service plan" if I intended to keep the coach long term, as slide out problems were a matter of when not if.
A forum thread consolidating Schwintek slide system posts ACROSS ALL manufacturers would be very helpful.

Agree 100% with a consolidated Schwinteck Slide System Posts across all manufacturers. We need to join together with this matter (strength in numbers). I don't know how long the Lippert slides have been in use in the industry, but there definitely is a window beginning with 2013 Winnebago models that affect a number of us who bought since then. My LARGEST slide in the Journey is HWH, not Lippert, (thank God). My problem slide is the SECOND largest one (passenger right front). It almost makes one think that Winnebago was aware of the Lippert slide limitations or they would have made ALL of them Lipperts.
lestortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestortue View Post
Agree 100% with a consolidated Schwinteck Slide System Posts across all manufacturers. We need to join together with this matter (strength in numbers). I don't know how long the Lippert slides have been in use in the industry, but there definitely is a window beginning with 2013 Winnebago models that affect a number of us who bought since then. My LARGEST slide in the Journey is HWH, not Lippert, (thank God). My problem slide is the SECOND largest one (passenger right front). It almost makes one think that Winnebago was aware of the Lippert slide limitations or they would have made ALL of them Lipperts.
From what I've read/heard, most Schwintek problems on THOR products seem to occur with the full wall slides. My larger slide is sofa/dinette unit and although it has worked OK so far, I hold my breath every time I operate it as it creaks it's way in and out.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I find this thread most informative and at the same time very disturbing. I have plans to replace my 14yo no slide unit next summer and have been looking at the new Brave 31c which from what I've read uses the Lippert system. I suppose I have some more research to do.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Number one right off the bat go an buy your WBGO brave and enjoy it to the fullest.

Number two it seems we have a bunch of pessimists that have Swintek slides. My big slide has a lot of weight on it and goes in an out without no problems other than what I stated in previous post but it seems everyone wants to say how bad it is. Well I say use it and operate it the way the manual says to operate it. I also suggest if you have a real big problem take the RV to coach manufacturer or have swintek rep come to you. All the problems one has with an RV is fixable.

Thor Palazzo had a problem where the room was not square thereby getting hung up. However Thor repaired it and last I heard was OK.

What I'm trying to say is have a positive attitude and stop knocking WBGO, Swintek, Thor, Norcold or any other manufacturer and try taking your stick built house and put it on six wheels and go down some of these roads you go down with your RV.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

So much for sharing information. Guess we're done.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #32
Site Team

I am all for having a positive attitude. I also want to keep it real. It seems there are more than normal problems with the Lippert Slides and jacks and it is good to hear what others are experiencing. While I have yet to experience the slide problems, I believe I am more prepared if something does happen. At the same time, I am SO GLAD to have my Winnebago. We have enjoyed if for 2 1/2 years and appreciate the Winnebago quality. I do my maintenance and preparation and travel worry free. I also hope they see these issues and continue to improve reliability of the slides. With their recent purchase of PowerGlide, Lippert may be headed in a good direction.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

What about this system fails the most?

I can see a definite issue if the slide is not square and installed or designed improperly. The gears don't contact properly and can skip. The slide will bind and strain the motors causing stress all over the system.

The lower rollers are not installed properly or are too few and not carrying the weight. That causes the wheels and slide rails to fail as they are not designed to carry the weight.

The motors fail because they can not move the weight?

Other?

Of the 28 that said they returned to the dealer, how many were for the slide loosening and making noise? Not a complete failure.

I have this issue now, the slide will loosen underway and creak, squeak and be a general nuisance. I cycle in and out every stop, or if rain is coming. I stopped one night and did not cycle, woke up to water on the floor.

I am paranoid now by this issue on my new $300k mh. I do drive quite a bit (12k +) and want to enjoy it. I now lube with CRC according to Lippert/Winnebago recommendations, control weight added to kitchen, visually check underneath rollers, level first. I am also asking dealer to check on locking bars to control loosening.

We love the coach, it is perfect for everything we want to do. This issue does not lessen that about the coach, just hate having this nagging feeling everytime I move the slide or hear it creak and groan.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Many 42 QD owners and owners with the Schwintek slide mechanisms have had issues of a squeaking or rattling noise while traveling. I learned early on that the slide out controllers have a settable motor stall limiter dial. It bothered me that the slide out would close and open with a great deal of force. My stall limit setting was set at 80% from the factory. I first moved it down to 50% and noticed a very pleasing difference. I kept moving the stall setting down and trying the slide out. I got all the way down to 15% then the slide would stop in motion before it finished its travel. Then I moved it up to 20% where it has been now for almost a year. I would rather my slide out stop when it gets in a bind so I can check to see what is causing it rather than the system self destructing. The slide is designed to move freely on the rollers. What I have noticed is that if anything gets in the way of the slide it will stop without doing any damage. Once a piece of wood trim got in the way (my wood working) and once a slide seal came loose due to pine needles getting under the slide cover and binded just enough to trip the stall switch. Twice I have pulled away from a site and heard the squeaking/rattling noise. I pulled over extended the slide out 6"s then re-stowed and the noise went away and didn't return.

I believe that many of the problems with the heaver / larger Schwintek slide systems is due to the stall limits set too high and puts too much stress on the system. My slide closes all the way but not with force. These electric motors have 300 and 500 to one gear reductions attached. Again I believe that if you close these slides with too much force the gear reduction that is designed to stay put during travel is forced to reverse to a loose close causing the slide system to rattle and squeak. I believe there is nothing wrong with slide locks as an added protection but they should not have to be used to prevent slide noises.

I always start engine and wait for the alternator to kick in first.

I open a window or door before sliding. Try to open the door while someone is extending the slide and you will see the need. The vacuum causes much stress on the system.

I believe that the LCI Schwintek slide system is a fantastic product and a space saver. I don't believe customer and dealer awareness as to how to use them, how they work, and what to watch for is up to par.

Info from Schwintek:
Increasing the stall setting beyond the amount needed only shortens system life.

And

It is not designed to suport weight

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I am not a pessimist by any measurement, so I have to respectfully disagree with the comments of Tom-NC. It took Camping World two fixes and Winnebago factory two fixes to finally get the divers side big slide in our Itasca 34B functioning properly. Both CW fixes were performed by a very knowledgeable Tech. He finally said that I had to take it to WBGO. They fixed it and 4 months ( and 4000 miles) later I had to take it back to have them fix it again. Both times at WBGO we met a number of other customers in the waiting room who were also experiencing slide problems. There are a large number of posts in this forum concerning Schwintek slide problems. I have not tried to tally how many, but I'd bet that the total would dwarf any other problems presented.
I do agree that these are complicated vehicles and they are subjected to a lot of stress in normal use which can cause problems, but I believe that the Schwintek mechanism in WBGO as well as other brands has more problems that it should.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Many 42 QD owners and owners with the Schwintek slide mechanisms have had issues of a squeaking or rattling noise while traveling. I learned early on that the slide out controllers have a settable motor stall limiter dial. It bothered me that the slide out would close and open with a great deal of force. My stall limit setting was set at 80% from the factory. I first moved it down to 50% and noticed a very pleasing difference. I kept moving the stall setting down and trying the slide out. I got all the way down to 15% then the slide would stop in motion before it finished its travel. Then I moved it up to 20% where it has been now for almost a year. I would rather my slide out stop when it gets in a bind so I can check to see what is causing it rather than the system self destructing. The slide is designed to move freely on the rollers. What I have noticed is that if anything gets in the way of the slide it will stop without doing any damage. Once a piece of wood trim got in the way (my wood working) and once a slide seal came loose due to pine needles getting under the slide cover and binded just enough to trip the stall switch. Twice I have pulled away from a site and heard the squeaking/rattling noise. I pulled over extended the slide out 6"s then re-stowed and the noise went away and didn't return.

I believe that many of the problems with the heaver / larger Schwintek slide systems is due to the stall limits set too high and puts too much stress on the system. My slide closes all the way but not with force. These electric motors have 300 and 500 to one gear reductions attached. Again I believe that if you close these slides with too much force the gear reduction that is designed to stay put during travel is forced to reverse to a loose close causing the slide system to rattle and squeak. I believe there is nothing wrong with slide locks as an added protection but they should not have to be used to prevent slide noises.

I always start engine and wait for the alternator to kick in first.

I open a window or door before sliding. Try to open the door while someone is extending the slide and you will see the need. The vacuum causes much stress on the system.

I believe that the LCI Schwintek slide system is a fantastic product and a space saver. I don't believe customer and dealer awareness as to how to use them, how they work, and what to watch for is up to par.

Info from Schwintek:
Increasing the stall setting beyond the amount needed only shortens system life.

And

It is not designed to suport weight

Jesse
I was also thinking that one of the problems was the stall limits being set too high. Schwintek states the system should be able to safely stop in the event of an obstruction, but if the stall is set too high, the system would literally rip itself apart. I wouldn't be surprised that since the system is relatively new, the stall limits on many slides were being set too high as technicians tried to resolve issues without having enough experience and training. As a result, many slides failed catastrophically. Just my thoughts. Regards...
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Would really like to get a new Adventurer but with the current slide system ...no way! I have a 07 National Sea Breeze 0 slide issues for several years . It has power gear slides.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Stall

Where do you see this and how to adjust?

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonB View Post
Where do you see this and how to adjust?
Its an adjustment in the schwintek slide controller. It sets the maximum amps for the motors before they shut off. The lippert manual would have instructions on how to set it.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Our big slide failed on the demo when we were in the process of buying it. We were told it stuck when retracting and the tiny (yes he used that word) motor burned out. Since its all one unit they had to replace a part so big it was shipped on a flat bed. It was fixed in about a week (see my post from back then) On our first trip it stuck again while opening and we panicked. Imagine if a slide that big stuck halfway out parked in the boondocks!!!! So the wife and I got down on our hands and knees with flashlights and broomsticks. Sure enough, my wife's fishing caught a set of towel bar mounting brackets still in the plastic bag with the screws jammed between the slide and the floor. We worked it out eventually and have had no slide problems since. At the time not very fun but now I kinda chuckle at the thought of it. So these slides don't get lubed? Funny, the dealer suggested I get the other slide lubed which I did have them do. $150 bucks. Wow, did I get hosed?

2014 Itasca 32H
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide