Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Scan Gauge 2 Won't Work.. Darn.

My coach is on a Freightliner Chassis so it looks like I need to get the Scan Gauge "D"......

Is there a plug in under the dash for it? I know there is one all the way in the back of the coach but I don't find one under the dash???

Thanks LeeB
Old 12-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have one under the dash on my 2011 Itasca 40U Outboard side of the steering column. burried in a bunch of wires.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you are trying to urgently read a check engine code, you can get the code from the freightliner LBCU dash unit and call FL for interpretation. Instructions are in the FL Chassis Owners Guide.
You won't be sorry you get the ScanGauge-D, mine detected a turbo activation code just a month before the warranty expired. Bottom line was I had the Turbo replaced due to info from the ScanGauge that was NOT captured by the LBCU as they were momentary codes on starting the engine and these are not captured or stored in the ECM until they become "solid". Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I installed a Scan-D on our 2004 Winnebago Journey. The plug is hard to find - under the dash to left of steering column on our coach. Grey in color. Keep looking!
Old 12-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
If you are trying to urgently read a check engine code, you can get the code from the freightliner LBCU dash unit and call FL for interpretation. Instructions are in the FL Chassis Owners Guide.
You won't be sorry you get the ScanGauge-D, mine detected a turbo activation code just a month before the warranty expired. Bottom line was I had the Turbo replaced due to info from the ScanGauge that was NOT captured by the LBCU as they were momentary codes on starting the engine and these are not captured or stored in the ECM until they become "solid". Good luck,
Not looking for any codes at this time whew....

The Coach is VERY new to us, I have no idea what LBCU means. I'll have to do a search to see if I can find out what it means...

Glad to hear Scan Gauge saved you..
Old 12-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by corprimo View Post
I installed a Scan-D on our 2004 Winnebago Journey. The plug is hard to find - under the dash to left of steering column on our coach. Grey in color. Keep looking!

Thanks........
Old 12-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Same here. 2003 Journey it was way back there just to the left of the steering column and mounted to a bracket which made it difficult to reach and connect to. I just took the 2 screws out of the bracket and let it dangle down. There was plenty of slack in the cable. Move the seat way back and get a bright light! Took me 3 hunting trips to find mine. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The best price I found was from Advanced Auto after going to their website and looking for coupons. The d version was about $120 a year ago.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks we are on our shake down cruse right now...... Might be a good time to lay on the floor with a bright light and see if I can see anything....

Thanks again LeeB
Old 12-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Thanks we are on our shake down cruse right now...... Might be a good time to lay on the floor with a bright light and see if I can see anything....

Thanks again LeeB
If yours is like mine there is a small foot rest held by a screw (or two) and it will be easier to dig around looking for that connection if you remove that foot rest. At least it made it easier for me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
If yours is like mine there is a small foot rest held by a screw (or two) and it will be easier to dig around looking for that connection if you remove that foot rest. At least it made it easier for me.
Your right about the foot rest... I'll work at removing it so I can poke around.......

Is it mounted to the Firewall???
Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I had to remove the dash cover on mine to find anything. Not enough room to get between seat and steering column. Even that is tight gettin my arm down in the mess if wiring.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Your right about the foot rest... I'll work at removing it so I can poke around.......

Is it mounted to the Firewall???
Not on mine. It is screwed to the floor to the rear (drivers seat) side of the foot rest. The screw was well hidden by the carpet.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote