Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Does anyone really understand what is required by SCA concentration reading? I have used the Fleetguard test strips and got a reading on the chart in green area of 1.9. I guess I don't understand what I've just done. Is this reading Okay or does it need more additive? I have the C-7 2004 330HP Cat enging, how many gallons does the cooling system hold? The Maintenance Manual doesn't help much either. Any help explaining all this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Does anyone really understand what is required by SCA concentration reading? I have used the Fleetguard test strips and got a reading on the chart in green area of 1.9. I guess I don't understand what I've just done. Is this reading Okay or does it need more additive? I have the C-7 2004 330HP Cat enging, how many gallons does the cooling system hold? The Maintenance Manual doesn't help much either. Any help explaining all this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Wagonmaster2
Old 12-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster.....I just changed my coolant in my C-7 330 Cat...After draining I refilled with 9 gallons of factory 50/50 Fleetguard Compleat. I also do not understand how much SCA to add to adjust if necessary....I haven't tested mine yet after refilling for the SCA concentration. No one seems to know the system capacity in gallons or how much is left in the system after draining...I will test after driving some miles and then adjust with concentrate or distilled water and SCA treatment...I don't know how high the SCA can go without becoming a problem....RKL.
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks RKL - I'm glad I'm not the only one in the dark about so many of these diesel things. I've read someplace that the capacity is around 9 1/2 gal but don't know if that is reliable or not. If so, sounds like you must have gotten most of it drained. Maybe someone will clear all this up for both of us. I also wondered if the SCA could be too strong.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 12-05-2005, 04:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Hey....Let me jump in here. I'm obviously stuck on stupid as I don't even know what SCA is.

04 Journey 39K
Triple slides
C - 7, 330/860 (whatever that is)
05 Honda Pilot toad
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
1 beautiful wife, 3 cats & one Great Dane
Blkftvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

No stupid questions where diesels are concerned. SCA is Supplemental Coolant Additive, which is added to antifreeze to eliminate cavitation and pitting of cylinders. Extended life antifreeze is handled one way and regular antifreeze a different way as far as the SCA is concerned. Just try finding out how, when, or how much. I'm new to the diesel field and still trying to get my head above water-no pun intended.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
Old 12-05-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanx.....I had no idea.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Here is a short article on antifreeze and SCA: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetail. do?categoryId=82915574&contentId=6005603 - 24k -

It says: The second two checks will give you the levels of SCA (phosphate-molybdate and nitrate) in your coolant. They are matched to the sides of a grid chart and the square where the two readings intersect is your SCA level. The center of the chart has an irregular green area that indicates the safe levels and you should be within the green area. If you are in the green but at the high limits you might want to consider adding a non-SCA filter element next time you change coolant filters. If it is near the bottom and you are changing filters a new SCA filter should bring it up, give it a couple thousand miles and check it again, if it is still low add some SCA concentrate. If you are not changing filters add some SCA concentrate to bring it up.

It appears that some antifreeze has SCA and some does not. It looks like test strips are in order.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Where is the coolant filter and where are they purchased?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thanks Dirk: First response I've gotten that really explains the chart. The green area goes from 1.2 up to 3.0 so it looks like my 1.9 is about in the middle. I was bout ready to add some more additive to bring it up higher to the upper limit but according to that paragraph it shouldn't be close to the upper limit. Thanks again.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 12-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I just had the coolant filter changed on my engine,,,,the one they installed contained the chemicals etc necessary to keep the engine cylinders from pitting etc....my coolant filter is located just in front of the oil filter on the cummins engine I have...

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Perhaps I am missing something, but I use the Penray glycol/nitrate test strips every 6 months. According to the Penray web site, a nitrate reading of 1200 ppm is right-on for SCA's and, if lower, add one pint of Pencool 3000 for every 20 gallons of coolant. I needed to add some Pencool when I first got the rig but it has tested Ok since.

My CAT has no coolant filter that I can determine.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #13
Cat
Winnebago Camper

SCA is necessary to protect diesel engine componets,primarily the cylinder liners from pitting. Most extended life antifreeze will not need any SCA additive added to it for many miles. Regular diesel antifreeze will need to tested more often. Do not use a automotive antifreeze in a diesel engine, it does not have the the correct additives to protect the engine.
Supplemental Coolant Additive
SMCS - 1350; 1352; 1395

The use of SCA (supplemental coolant additive) helps to prevent the following conditions from occurring:

Corrosion

Formation of mineral deposits

Cavitation erosion of the cylinder liners

Foaming of the coolant

Cat DEAC (Diesel Engine Antifreeze/Coolant) is formulated with the correct level of Cat SCA. When the cooling system is initially filled with Cat DEAC, adding more Cat SCA is not necessary until the concentration of Cat SCA has been depleted. To ensure that the correct amount of Cat SCA is in the cooling system, the concentration of Cat SCA must be tested on a scheduled basis. Refer to the specific machine's Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Maintenance Interval Schedule" (Maintenance Section).

Cat SCA maintenance elements and containers of Cat SCA are available in several sizes. Refer to the Table "Caterpillar SCA Requirements for Heavy-Duty Coolant/Antifreeze" and Table "Caterpillar Liquid SCA" in this Special Publication's, "Conventional Coolant/Antifreeze Cooling System Maintenance" article for the part numbers.

Note: Do not exceed a six percent maximum concentration of SCA.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #14
Cat
Winnebago Camper

I forgot to mention do go over the recomended level of SCA as this can cause a scale to form on the hot internal engine parts (cylinder walls and internal cylinder head passages) and cause severe engine damage. If you have extended life antifreeze you will not most likely have a coolant "filter". The "filter" is really a coolant additive as the water flowed through the "filter" it added SCA.

I believe you are much better off using Caterpillar ELC (long life)coolant or a long life coolant that meets Caterpillar requirements.You will not have to worry about SCA or antifreeze for I believe 3000 operating hours.

Here is a little more information.

Conventional Coolant/Antifreeze Cooling.

System Maintenance
SMCS - 1350; 1352; 1395

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE
Never operate an engine without water temperature regulators in the cooling system. Water temperature regulators help to maintain the engine coolant at the proper operating temperature. Cooling system problems can develop without water temperature regulators.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check the coolant/antifreeze (glycol concentration) in order to ensure adequate protection against boiling or freezing. Caterpillar recommends the use of a refractometer for checking the glycol concentration. Use the 245-5829 Coolant/Battery Tester/Refractometer. The tester gives readings in both degrees Celsius and degrees Fahrenheit that are immediate and accurate. The tester can be used with ethylene or with propylene glycol.

Caterpillar engine cooling systems should be tested at 250 hour intervals or at the PM Level 1 intervals for the concentration of Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA). SCA test kits are available from your Caterpillar dealer. Test the concentration of SCA or submit a coolant sample to your Caterpillar dealer at 250 hour intervals or at the intervals for PM Level 1. Refer to this publication, "S·O·S Coolant Analysis" for more information on this topic.

Additions of SCA are based on the results of the test or based on the results of the coolant analysis. An SCA that is liquid or a maintenance element for an SCA (if equipped) may be needed at 250 hour intervals or at the intervals for PM Level 1.

Table 1 lists the amount of Cat SCA that is needed at the initial fill in order to treat coolant/antifreeze. These amounts of Cat SCA are for systems that use heavy-duty coolant/antifreeze.

Table 1 also lists additions of supplemental coolant additive for liquid and for maintenance elements at 250 hour intervals or at the intervals for PM Level 1. The additions are required for Cat DEAC (Diesel Engine Antifreeze/Coolant) and for commercial coolant/antifreezes.

Note: Conventional heavy-duty coolant/antifreeze of all types REQUIRE periodic additions of SCA.

Table 1 Caterpillar SCA Requirements for Heavy-Duty Coolant/Antifreeze
Cooling System Capacity Initial Fill (1) 250 Service Hour or Intervals for PM Level 1 (2)
Spin-on Element at 250 Service Hour or at Intervals for PM Level 1 (3) Quantity of Elements

22 to 30 L (6 to 8 US gal)
0.95 L (32 fl oz)
0.24 L (8 fl oz) 111-2370 1

31 to 38 L (9 to 10 US gal)
1.18 L (40 fl oz)
0.36 L (12 fl oz) 111-2369 1

39 to 49 L (11 to 13 US gal)
1.42 L (48 fl oz)
0.36 L (12 fl oz) 111-2369 1

50 to 64 L (14 to 17 US gal)
1.90 L (64 fl oz)
0.47 L (16 fl oz) 9N-3368 1

65 to 83 L (18 to 22 US gal)
2.37 L (80 fl oz)
0.60 L (20 fl oz) 111-2371 1

84 to 114 L (23 to 30 US gal)
3.32 L (112 fl oz)
0.95 L (32 fl oz) 9N-3718 1

115 to 163 L (31 to 43 US gal)
4.75 L (160 fl oz)
1.18 L (40 fl oz) 111-2371 2

164 to 242 L (44 to 64 US gal)
7.60 L (256 fl oz)
1.90 L (64 fl oz) 9N-3718 2
( 1 ) When the coolant system is first filled, the SCA is not required to be used with Cat DEAC or with fully formulated coolants that meet the "ASTM D6210-03" specification.
( 2 ) Do not exceed the six percent maximum concentration. Check the concentration of SCA with a SCA test kit, or check the concentration of SCA with Cat S·O·S Coolant Analysis.
( 3 ) Do not use the maintenance element for the SCA and the liquid for the SCA at the same time.

Note: Specific engine applications may require maintenance practices to be periodically evaluated in order to properly maintain the engine's cooling system.

Refer to Table 1 and Table 2 for part numbers and for quantities of SCA maintenance elements and/or liquid SCA.

Table 2 Caterpillar Liquid SCA (1)
Part Number Size of Container
6V-3542
0.24 L (8 oz)
8T-1589
0.47 L (16 oz)
3P-2044
0.94 L (32 oz)
217-0616
1 L (34 oz)
237-7673
5 L (1.3 US gal)
8C-3680
19 L (5.0 US gal)
217-0617
20 L (5.3 US gal)
5P-2907
208 L (55 US gal)
217-0618
208 L (55 US gal)
( 1 ) The availability of part numbers will vary from one region to another region.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote