Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

We took delivery of our motorhome in March 2003 and since then I have always missed not having a light directly over the dinning room table without turning on all the ceiling fluorescent lights. Well it took this long to get it done but this Saturday I took the initiative to install our new ceiling light fixture.

What preceded this effort was "My DW's" need to replace our 2003 Black & Decker coffee maker which she said was making lousy tasting coffee. It was my opinion that our coffee pot had taken on a "certain flavor" which was earned however I lost that argument. Our good friends Marty and Joan gave us their unused coffee pot out of their new fifth wheel so the writing was on the wall. When I tell you this thing was brand new the carafe was still in the plastic bag and there were shipping tapes and cardboard inserts that I had to remove. A free coffee maker is always a nice thing. We received the coffee maker while we were staying in Silver Springs, FL earlier this year.

Gustafson 12V Ceiling Mounted Fixture // B&D Under Counter Carafe Coffee Maker

Changing out the coffee makers was pretty straight forward. You write to an expert and ask for help, he replies and you're good to go! In the recess above the coffee maker there are 2 luan paneling covers which basically just sit there unfastened. I removed the rail ornament however you don't really have to remove it. I started by using a sharp screw driver and working the front of the bottom panel upward. Once I got a finger in there the panel came out pretty easily. The back panel came out by using the same driver and leveraging the bottom of the panel out until I was able to get a finger on it to facilitate the movement of the panel.

I took a look around in the opening and looky here! A nice and totally unused 12 volt pair of wires. I confirmed this by checking with my test lamp. When I saw that pair of wires I'm thinking I can kill two birds with one stone.

The old coffee maker was dismounted from it's rails. I reused the mounting hardware from the old coffee maker. There are 4 bolts, 4 square nuts and 4 - 3/8" high plastic spacers. The old coffee maker was a much wider unit and the new coffee maker is about 4 inches narrower. I had to re-drill the holes that held the new coffee maker since the mounting style was different. The old unit had 2 rails the new unit has a slide in single piece top. What was important was to get at least a couple of holes drilled through the framing in the overhead. The front two holes are only drilled through the luan paneling however I backed them up using large fender washers.

Getting the new unit measured on center and the first holes drilled took me about an hour. Measure 10 times and drill once. Once I got the new holder in place and secured all I needed to do was slide in the new coffee maker and plug it in. The mounting plate appears to be very sturdily mounted.

There is one new feature I noticed on the new coffee pot, the carafe, is that there is a push button coffee dispenser built into the handle. You can see the button at the bottom of the handle. There's a small plate that flips up and a push button is then exposed. I don't expect that we'll use that feature very often.

I think that it'll take a bit of time to allow our new coffee pot to acquire a character but the new coffee maker is in.

Installing the ceiling fixture was also pretty easy. I used a pair of Scotch blocks and and ran a pair of #16 wires to the fixture through a piece of wire mold. I had to notch the rim so I could get the wires into the fixture and for this I used a rat tail file. It worked great. I crimped on my stake on connectors to the fixture, put it in place at the end of the Wiremold and sank in 3 screws into the overhead panel.

The Wiremold is held in place by a single screw which I toed in at a 45 degree angle on the end that connects to the fixture. I used a 3/4" long #6 wood screw. The other end of the conduit is held in place by the wires coming through the back framing. I did have to drill a 3/8" hole up high on the framing to get the pair of wires through. I slipped the pair of wires in the conduit from the back and the hole being where it is holds the conduit in place pretty much on its own.

I installed 3 - 1141 bulbs of some 57 Watts in total lighting. The lens went up and was secured and the power applied! TaDa!

New Overhead Fixture Providing Effects and Lighting On The Table.

With just the over head fixture on, the light is almost crystalline in nature as the light refracts off the facets in the globe. In our opinion it presents a very nice lighting effect and the most important thing is that it does indeed meet our need to put light directly on our dinette.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Nice job!!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Nice job Mike. The configuration of the overheads with the coffee maker look identical to that in our Journey. We are still using the original B & D coffee machine and I've heard there is no perfect fit replacement for it. That one looks very nice. I'd prefer to have a coffee maker that drips the brew into an insulated carafe with no 'hotplate.'
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mike;

You did a great job with the light. I am impressed with your wiring job. I am sure Colleen will love you for that.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

DRIVER: Looks great, can a dimmer switch be installed in line. Would not always want full illumination.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks a lot Mike, Ruthie saw your post and said "what a great idea", now the "why can't you do that to ours" harping starts..LOL it was a gteat job, and a Bravo Zulu to you...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by Homer:
DRIVER: Looks great, can a dimmer switch be installed in line. Would not always want full illumination.
Homer, If you can find a 12 volt dimmer that will integrate into the base of the fixture then all that would be required would be to drill an addiitonal hole in the base of the fixture. The dimmer would go inline with the ( + ) hot leg. Sounds easy to me. I'm just glad having the light! When it's the only light lit, it didn't seem to be that bright due to the dome lens that's on the fixture.

Beau (DepChief) came over to day for an inspection tour.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Bud:
... a Bravo Zulu to you ...
Cap, That means a lot to me coming from you. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Nice job on both installs!

I have the same coffee maker and have found a few problems with it when compared to the old model.

Over time the mounting base gets loose and when traversing uneven roads the side to side motion can cause the entire unit to slide out of its plastic mount and fly accross the RV.

I used TvGrips to latch the coffee maker to the mounting bracket using the provided adhesive pads and flathead #6 screws in the center of each mount.

http://www.campingworld.com/sh...tv-grips-white/18637

I also got an extension strap and mounted another set of TvGrips to keep the carafe in place while traveling. Again using #6 screws to keep the mounts in place as the adhesive pads tend to creep on the white plastic.

Over time the coffee basket tends to start creeping out while brewing so I modified a white plastic bin door catch and mounted it on the left side of the unit to keep the basket in place while brewing and traveling.

http://www.campingworld.com/sh...tic-door-catch/11666

The replacement carafes cost more than the coffee maker so safeguard that carafe. I have a new 12 cup sitting in the shop right now that I am still looking for an economical replacement thermal carafe for. I have temporarily mounted the smaller 8 cup model in its place which suffers the same issues described above as the 12 however the carafe pours better.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by NeilV:
I have the same coffee maker and have found a few problems with it when compared to the old model.
NeilV, A picture is worth a thousand words.

I am planning on reducing the mass of the coffee maker by "not" traveling with the carafe in place. Make sense to you?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Trying to be proactive (anticipating that my OEM coffee maker will eventually fail), I have tried to locate Driver's unit with the insulated carafe. Apparently, it has been discontinued and replaced with a model with a glass carafe and hot plate. I've tried Walmart, Target, Amazon.com, Kohl's, and the B & D website. Anyone who might know of a source, it would be appreciated.

There are few 'under counter' coffee makers generally available.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Black & Decker still makes the under counter mount coffee maker. It is not an exact replacement for the original. I bought one and looked at the mounting and I will have to do some work yo get it to fit. I will make some moulding in my work shop when the time comes to replace the original. I Bought the coffee maker at a Black & Decker store at a discount mall.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Hey Gary! Here it is ..... it's not exactly like mine but very close. I have more stainless stuff on the coffee maker itself.

This is from the B&D website.

Click on the picture.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
NeilV, A picture is worth a thousand words.

I am planning on reducing the mass of the coffee maker by "not" traveling with the carafe in place. Make sense to you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the carafe in the sink and the basket started creeping out so that joined the carafe in the sink then the whole assembly came off the mount somewhere up in the Catskills. They also had some pouring problems with the early thermal carafes (made in China).

I'll take some photos next time I am in the rig.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by DriVer:
Hey Gary! Here it is ..... it's not exactly like mine but very close. I have more stainless stuff on the coffee maker itself.

This is from the B&D website.

Click on the picture.
Mike, I found that but you cannot order it from their website...I tried. I checked all the retailers B & D suggested and they only have the ODC440 which has the glass pot. I will check a B&D outlet store the next time we run across one.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Gary I found this using a google search for the model number. We may be interested in ordering one ourselves.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I called the Black & Decker store at the Outlet mall and asked about the 12 cup undercounter stainless carafe coffee maker (model # 440...I think). The gentilman said B&D no longer makes the 12 cup (stainless carafe) model and had replaced it with the 10 cup (stainless carafe) model. He also mentioned the width of the unit was 15 inches, which in his indomitabel wisdom claimed it to be wider than the 12 cup model. Ill have to check the older modle I have in my coach to verify the correctnrss of his statement.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Gary,,check outhttp://www.sailorsams.com/mall/built-in-coffee-maker.asp

This has been recommended in another post. It just may be what you are looking for...Good Miles to all...Lookin good mike
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally posted by NeilV:
Nice job on both installs!
Neil, Thank you!

Now that said you scared the heck out of me when you said that the coffee maker went flying across the galley.

I was studying the TV retaining clips you recommended however I wasn't totally onboard when your experience showed you that the clips apparently creeped at the adhesive pad.

At this point I am thankful that you pointed out the mechanics of the coffee maker mounting bracket which "are not" particularly suited for mobile use.

L bracket riveted into side of unit and flush with the top of the unit

Therefore, a back to the drawing board was required. I thought about installing a fixed clip and my basics took me back to what I know works, metal L brackets and fasteners.

Now I wasn't too much on-board from the git-go that I should sink screws into the coffee maker so I choose good ol' reliable rivets. I used 4 steel rivets to be exact, 1/8th in diameter with a 1/4" grip.

I removed the coffee maker from its bracket, quite easy actually, a slight tug and it was out. Not really the secure feeling that I was expecting.

Pair of L brackets mounted

I turned the unit over on its roof and slid an L bracket up against the side. The table I was on kept the L square up against the coffee maker. I had to bolster the rear of the coffee maker using a magazine so it would sit flat. I took my cordless drill and a 9/64th" drill bit and gently drilled through the L bracket into the side of the unit and the plastic was quickly drilled out.

Detail of plastic spacers. A bunch come with the unit.

I got my rivet tool and fitted the fat end of the rivet through a washer and then through the L bracket and into the drilled hole. I pumped up the tool and the rivet broke in about 2 pumps. Ta-da tight as anything.

Drilling out the second hole above and riveting the bracket in place whet a lot easier. I then drilled and fitted the L bracket on the opposite side.

Framing members above. 3/4" long screw did not protrude above the framing. Previous fasteners and washer locations shown.

Once the L brackets were in place I picked up the unit and slid it back into its mounting bracket. Man I did a good job with the unit's mounting bracket because when I pushed the unit in the Ls cleared both sides perfectly and they were tight. Measure 10 times and drill once.

With the unit all the way back in place, I positioned a 3/8" high plastic spacer on each side above the L bracket just like the ones I previously used on the main unit bracket. Once the spacers were in place, I got my drill and a #8 x 3/4" Phillips head wood screw and ran it straight up into the above framing.

L bracket secured to upper cabinet framing. Holes visible from previous mounting rails.

With only 1 screw on each side, I pulled on the coffee maker and it didn't move.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

We wanted to use the thing so we ran a quart of vinegar through the unit since it hadn't been used for quite a while. Completed, I rinsed out all the stuff that got affected by the vinegar and we made a pot of coffee.

Well it was worth it, the coffee maker made some great tasting java. I sat the carafe on the counter and about an hour later the coffee was still fairly hot. It works!

So that's it on this install .....
Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Driver,

Finally got a pic for you but am having trouble posting to the photo section.