Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

This probably belongs under "motorhomes in general", but I'm interested in the Winnie slide out awning in particular so here goes...
How can I (and a buddy, I presume) tighten up the awning topper on the big 12' living room slide out? Has anybody done it and how about some pics w/ instructions? I'm thinking if I've got 16 revs on the spring from the factory, perhaps 2 more revolutions tighter will reduce the "bag" and the tendency for water accumulation.
I'm aware of the cautions about spring tension and safety, but I've replaced the large main awning spring on my '88 SuperChief before using the wife's help. -Not a big deal, just work safely and wisely.
The slide out awnings gotta be easy too, right?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We just can't have someone asking for help and getting no responses, so here goes.

I assume you have A&E slide toppers, so the process is as follows:

Locate the cross hole in each end of the fabric tube assembly. It will be through the white end cap and be about 7/32 diameter. You will need a 7/32 cotter pin about 2.5-3" in length that you can pass through this hole and in effect pin the tube and cap together. This will allow you to not have to fight the tension while you perform step 2.

Step 2 will require that you take the screw out of the hex rod that connects the end cap to the side wall and is part of the hanger mechanism. You will also have to drill out the pop rivet. When this is done, you then can reverse the hex rod and use it as a handle to crank the tension on the springs. Yes, you will have to remove the cotter pin during the cranking and then replace when you have adjusted to your liking. Just remember to reinstall the cotter pin so the tension will be held when you reinstall the hex rod back in it's normal location.

Perform the same process on the other end and you're ready to relax, have a cold drink and enjoy the view.

If you need the specs for the A&E slide topper as to number of turns, let me know and I'll post it for you. You may want to unwind the springs on both ends then rewind to insure you have a balanced load on both ends. Someone may have goofed in intial installation.

ALSO....BE EXTREMELY ATTENTIVE TO THE SPRING LOAD THAT IS PRESENT WHEN YOU REMOVE THE COTTER PINS. IT IS SUFFICIENT TO BREAK YOUR HAND AND FINGERS!!!!!! DO NOT BE OVER CONFIDENT ABOUT THIS OPERATION IT CAN SEVERLY INJURE YOU.

Hope this helps,
Mike & Lisa
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thank you very much for the instructions Mike!!! Yes, I would like to know the "specs" from A&E for the number of spring turns on this big awning (fits the 12' living room slide).

Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:00 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!

Thanks a bunch for jumping in Mike....truly the GREATEST people are iRV2'ers....

Good luck Thomas....count to ten on your fingers when you're done!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the comment Bob! Troth, the A&E specs are 13 turns. Their specs don't define whether that is in a "slide closed" or "or slide open" condition. I normally set them at 13 turns with the slide open, and check for tension. You should count the turns as the slide opens, as it increases the tension, and adjust to suit your needs. I wouldn't go beyond 13, plus the revolutions on the slide as it extends; i.e. if as the slide extends the topper unwinds 4 revs, add no more than 4 revs to the spring wind. Also, remember that the wind on the springs is as counted winding the springs away from the coach. That would make the right end conterclockwise and the left end clockwise.

If you need more data I can e-mail a pdf document to you that is all 4 pages of A&E info.

Hope this helps!!

Have fun; be safe!

Mike & Lisa
Old 03-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

RVGuy:

My independent RV guy will be replacing the fabric on my A&E slide toppers in the next week or so. Can you send me the PDF file you have? That is, if it has any info. that might be helpful to them.

thanks. [email protected]
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ranger,

Completed per your request.

Mike & Lisa
Old 03-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks. Got it. I will be talking with my guy tomorrow. They special order the replacement canopies because they had to have the exact measurements. I will inquire about the double seam on the leading edge. I noticed the orginal A&E vinyl has no such seam. It is pretty thin stuff.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Sounds like RVGuy ought to be "our" guy!!
Old 03-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Could you email that pdf document to me also. I may need to see about the slide awning replacement soon. My emai is [email protected]

Thanks,

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Since you mention the task of "waxing" the roof and walls of the coach, you might want to check out a product called REJEX made by CrossionX Technologies. It is not a wax, but rather a poloymer that bonds with the surface. Originally for the aircraft industry, where I first got exposed to it, it really has done an excellent job of surface protection on our coach. The effect it makes on bug removal at the end of the day has to be seen to believe.

At any rate it can be seen at their site; corrosionx.com.

Jim & Gloria, I'll e-mail today.

Have fun all!

Mike & Lisa
Old 03-13-2006, 06:04 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Mike, thanks for the information. I sent you a PM, but could you e-mail me the A&E pdf file on the awning tightening?

Thanks! Tom
[email protected]
Old 03-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Many thanks Mike....I will be purchasing some of that product and supplying my detail guys with it for the coach.

We are fortunate to have the benefit of your resources and experience here in our forum..

Your customers sure are fortunate to have you as well!
Old 03-13-2006, 07:17 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Mike,
What's the best way to determine if your awning is already as tight as it should be. With the slide out, should you be able to kinda lift the side of the awning up alittle? By alittle, I mean maybe around 1/2" or so. I realize even if you tighten it more, that it probably stretches again?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm, something weird just happened and I lost my post to the black hole of computers...if this winds up being a double post, I am sorry 'bout that.

Bob,

Thanks for your comments. I also want to make sure that my activities are in no way construed as a "commerical" as this forum is way to good to be screwed up with that.

As to the Rejex, additional info for you; we do our 35' Winnie with two bottles and that covers the roof, all four sides, and all slide walls. You might need an additional bottle for your additional size. After our inital applications, two apps 6 months apart, we now typically run about 9 months between apps. I will occasionally re-do the front cap depending where we are and the amount of bugs. Hope it meets your expectations.

Mike,

Typically the 1/2" or so is pretty typical. The real indicator for me is if you are having no issue with it, i.e. very limited wind noise when parked, no excess pooling, winds up straight with no corkscrewing on the tube, you OK. If you have any of these types of conditions, you might want to consider checking the spring winds and/or resetting.

Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Mike
Old 03-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRVGuy:
Bob,

Thanks for your comments. I also want to make sure that my activities are in no way construed as a "commerical" as this forum is way to good to be screwed up with that.
Mike
Mike....it's ALL GOOD brother....No danger of any of that happening....

As I've said once or twice now we're just happy to have ya....
Old 11-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Mike,

I am down in Mercedes TX for the winter and it is somewhat windy over here. The canvas on my long AE Slide-out anwing is flapping quite a bit in the wind to the point that I was afraid to loose the awning. I am sure that the tension on the spring is not high enough. I used tied-down to prevent the awning from flapping in the wind until I find out how to increase the tension on the spring. I read your instructions posted earlier but would be more confortable if I could get a copy of your PDF file dealing with this topic.

[email protected]

Thank you.
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I wish to express my gratitude to "troth", "smlranger" and "JnGOnTheGo" for their assistance in resolving my problem with my slide-out awning.

Best regards,
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

To "theRVguy" I found your information by using the search feature here on irv2.com. This is quite valuable to me, as one of my toppers required new fabric. Likely because it appears over-tightened so much it prevents the top of the slide from extending completely. Thanks for sharing your experience.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote