Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Safety steering devices

Hi. I have a 2011 Sightseer 31E and had considered putting a steering damper on my MH for the safety of control during a blowout. After extensive research of the three most popular brands I am leaning towards not putting one on. My concerns are as follows: Safety steer is no longer sold by CW. Their reason has something to do with liability. I don't like the way it sits on the axle (too low) and I'm not a fan of the use of springs. I called the manufacture of Safe-T-Plus and spoke with one of their engineers. He said that I would have to reduce the turning radius of the wheels because the stroke of the ram is too short to accommodate the cut angle of the wheels on the Ford F53 chassis. Well I'm not going there, and finally the Trucenter has had it's own set of problems and is no longer installed by some reputable RV repair shops. The other thing I'm concerned with is the added stress put on the power steering system when using any one of these systems. I'm putting this out there for your feedback. Has anyone else gone down this road and decided not to go ahead with one of these systems?
Regards, Moe
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You've probably already researched the discussions which have taken place here on the forum on this topic and it sure sounds like you've done your homework.

I too would still be concerned with quality problems on the Blue Ox unit and have no experience with the Steer Safe. However, we've been really happy with our Safe T Plus... although it sounds like they don't have a good one for your rig.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have had a TruCenter on two coaches -- the latest for over 1 year and 12,000 miles. The TruCenter was completely redesigned after some initial problems.
I have had excellent results with my TruCenter and love the ability to re-center the steering when in a heavy crosswind.

Best wishes

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I'm really happy with our Steer Safe stabilizer units. The system works exactly as advertised. All of the available steering stabilizers use spring pressure to help keep the wheels driving straight ahead. It's just a matter of which design and price you like. I believe they all serve the same function.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I've used Safe-T-Plus on three motor homes and have been satisfied with the way it helps return the steering to center. I haven't had the dreaded blow out so don't personally know if it helps as advertised but sure seems like it would.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I've used the SteerSafe for nearly 5 years on 2 rigs. It's hard to beat. Go to their web site, call the company, and get all the info you can. All I can say is simple is good and it works like a champ!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Find a good Truck alignment shop, Have the rear axle aligned to the frame and have the front wheels aligned to specs. and you won't need the extra hardware
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Find a good Truck alignment shop, Have the rear axle aligned to the frame and have the front wheels aligned to specs. and you won't need the extra hardware
I had that done before my first trip and guess what? I still needed the SteerSafe. It takes care of little things like 18 wheelers passing at light speed and quartering winds blowing at 20-30 mph.
But to each his own. I was tired of thw "White Knuckle" trips
Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

On a previous gas motor home I had a blow out on front tire at 65mph,I believe the stabilizer helped me to control unit to safe stop.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I use the Tru-Center.. Now, so you understand the original which was installed by my dealer failed, it locked up on me and would not let me turn left, I was (Thankfully) in a campground at the time with a 5mph speed limit and whats more I was at a stop sign (Well it would let me turn SLIGHTLY left) I was able to get it on a campsite, and then I crawled under with the needed wrench and removed it, Confirmed IT was the problem, boxed it and shipped it to Pender, NE.. Got the new one in a couple months later and installed it myself. (NOTE: a re-install is way easier than an "INSTALL".

I remain very pleased with my Tru-center.

How much difference it will make if a tire goes BOOM I don't know.

How much difference it makes in everyday driving I do know.

And that's why I remain a fan of it.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have a Safe-T-Plus, model 41-140 on my Sunstar 26P 2011 for over 15 000miles and pulling Jeep Liberty. I have excellent results and I love the ability to re-center the steering when in a heavy cross wind.
estelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I installed the Steer Safe and it works great. It does hang pretty low and is an ugly yellow, but it has definitely made my vehicle handle better. I can't see where it would put enough more strain on the power steering to cause any problems.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Had Safe T Plus installed on our F53 and made a 100% difference in handling. Don't know about a blow out but IMO it would be a great help. Hope I never have to test it on a blow out.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I use Steer Safe on my Sightseer 35j. It really works well on cutting the swaying when trucks pass and improves crosswind handling.

For what its worth, CW tried to steer me to another unit for a different reason.
Herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbdb View Post
I use Steer Safe on my Sightseer 35j. It really works well on cutting the swaying when trucks pass and improves crosswind handling.

For what its worth, CW tried to steer me to another unit for a different reason.
I would be willing to bet that the other "reason" was more expensive too
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Im curious...why dont rv manufacturers have something like these incorporated in their design specs? are they really not needed then?
JayAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

A cost thing.. and one other thing.. I mean you add one to the motor home you add by the time it all gets marked up close to a kilo-buck to the price ($1,000) plus the other thing.

I researched, choose Blue Ox
Someone else researched Choose Safety Steer
Someone else researched and choose.. Something else (Goes on for many lines)

Would I want to be locked into a different make stablizer? Not really. This way I got the unit I wanted. And the others I reference above, what they wanted.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

safe-t steer

My wife was driving our rv when the left front tire blew. She had no problem controlling the rv sfely to the side of the road. I believe that the additional control from the safe-t steer was the difference.
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, steering