Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV Roof Leak Prevention Video

I found this helpful video on YOUTUBE and thought I'd share the link

Old 09-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It amazes me that almost everyone thinks first of Dicor when maintaining an RV roof even though Dicor itself markets it for rubber roofs not the fiberglass roofs you find on most Winnebago motorhomes. Some Winnebago trailers do have rubber roofs.

Winnebago publishes sealant callout sheets that detail the sealants and caulking to use for each application on your specific year and model Winnebago along with some supporting information:

https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Sealant.htm

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...t%20Sheets.pdf

Also, here's a link to a recent Winnieowners discussion on this topic. Response #14 in that discussion gives some specifics on one member's experience with Dicor on fiberglass:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...is-352334.html

Use Dicor if you want, but I prefer to use something that's recommended by Winnebago. It's my understanding that you could even encounter a warranty issue if you develop a leak and have used a non-recommended product.

Whatever you choose to use, I recommend removing as much of the old material as possible, clean the area well and apply the new material neatly and sparingly. Despite what's shown in the video, it's never a good idea to goop new over old. You'll never see this on a well-maintained sailboat and they're in a much more leak-prone environment than RVs.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have written to Winnebago to ask them what they recommend but it was the WINNEBAGO Dealership Tech who suggested I used DICOR on the roof. In fact, he showed me a tube of it and said that's what they used as the approved sealant for the roofs of the Minnie Plus. I am, however, interested in hearing about how other users have experienced ETERNABOUND and ETERNASEAM. They seem very appealing to me as a permanent solution.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Bob,
I just found out that the MINNIE PLUS does not have a Fiberglass roof. It has a TPO roof, which is Thermoplastic Polyolefin Membrane (it's a hybrid of rubber and plastic polymer). Therefore, the sealants used for this are slightly different. I am looking in to EternaSeal and EternaBond. Any thoughts on this? I am a new RV owner here so pardon my ignorance, I'm just trying to learn. Any suggestions would help. Your rig may be different (yours is higher end than mine, since mine is just a towable).
Thank you sir!
John in Seattle.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I just responded to your other posting:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ml#post3823821
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roof, vent