Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My wife gave me an RV Cover for Christmas. How do I protect the AM/FM Radio antennas on the top of my motor home when I put the cover on?

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My wife gave me an RV Cover for Christmas. How do I protect the AM/FM Radio antennas on the top of my motor home when I put the cover on?

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My antenna's are on a swivel. Just loosen the screw and fold the antenna down the roof line. I still lay a piece of sponge rubber over the antenna mount to keep chaffing down on the cover.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:07 AM   #4

Unscrew them, and remove them from your roof and store in your basement storage.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Not to be a naysayer here,as this wasn't the question but I would protect the antennas by returning the cover...

I've seen this discussion in several different forums and I'm of the persuasion that a good coat of wax protects the coach just fine...

Covers have the tendency to flap in the wind and actually move on the coach,which in my opinion has greater potential to do more harm to the paint than good...

Yes,I've had a cover before....I used one on a fifth wheel that I bungied in every configuration you could imagine and thus I've seen the pros and cons firsthand...

To each his own, I don't cover my coach.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yep, I'm with you Bob! I too have seen damage to the paint of an RV from a windblown cover that rubbed the paint off! If you are worried about covering your RV in the winter I would rent space under an awning. We store ours at the local county fairgrounds (only 2 blocks away) for a very reasonable cost for the winter. I store it there more to make it easier to clear snow off our driveway than to protect the RV though I do like the idea of not collecting snow and ice on the roof over the winter and accidently blowing salted snow against the side of our RV.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #7

Ive used the ADCO covers (Tyvek on the top) for YEARS and have had NO rubbing issues.....paint looks brand new when you take off the cover. The material on the cover is smooth and is abrasive free. One of the keys is to make sure your unit is clean with no dirt on it before you cover. I beleve the few that have had rubbing issues cover their DIRTY units.

I see RV's out in the sun up here and their paint looks like TOAST in a couple of years unless you cover your unit.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Almost like it was parked under a heat lamp eh RV'er??
Old 12-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Almost like it was parked under a heat lamp eh RV'er?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BE NICE!
Old 12-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Twas meant as a funny....
Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Don't know where you live, but use a cover down here and you're inviting all kinds of bugs to make a home under it, in addition to the mildew that would grow under it. Down here we put up the $$ for an RV port.
Art D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Darn, forgot to say that "down here" is on the Gulf Coast in Louisiana.
Art D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

JD Allen,
I am in the minority on covers it would appear. I had mine covered for 6 months with no, repeat no damage and it did a nice job. The key is to make sure it does not flap around and it is positioned properly when you put it on. Lower your antennas, look for potential places the cover could potentially wear the paint. On these areas I took some 2X2 sheets of thin foam rubber I bought from Joanne Fabrics and secured the foam to those potential "rub places" using a bungee. Areas like around the rear caps, side entrance door are the primary ones. The only reason I did away with my cover is I was able to modify the garage I have now for the MH. Good luck and enjoy.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We are lucky and store ours at a friends barn. Well protected, he is a cop! oh...with a german shepard who roams the land. In the summer we wax at least twice.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote