Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rust spots on roof of 2018 Navion

I have found odd looking yellowish discolorations on the roof of my 2018 Navion (aka View). They look like “rust spots”. Washing doesn’t remove them. Anyone else experience this / know what is causing it / know how to get rid of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF180C79-CCAE-4280-A1BC-881C8D994CCC.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	171993  
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are several things that "might " true but they will take a bit more study. One is the idea that there are things that don't wash off easy but still are just surface items. Things that we get when we park in the wrong spot or follow a truck that is dripping something? So we may have to scrape a bit to make sure if it is "on" or "in"? From there part of the question is what the roof is made of as it may just be flaws in the gelcoat of the fiberglass. Then we get into what to do and I tend to be easy on those as I would either paint over the spot or ignore it as being too much bother to get a fix, either done myself or talking to a dealer.
The roof is one of those things that WILL get defects and I tend to ignore those which are not a problem to get worse.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Morich,
I agree with ignoring things which are not a problem. Just trying to determine if this is or isn't one of those things at this point.
When I cleaned the roof I noted here was a speck of something dark in the center of each of the discolorations - and when I rubbed them with a soapy washcloth they didn't come off. The most drastic I use related to scraping the fiberglass roof (which still is under warranty, so I'm not inclined to paint over it right now) is my fingernail - this WAS enough to "fleck off" the "dark specks", but the stains remained. So they are "in" not "on" the fiberglass.
They appear in two different spots ("clusters") on the roof, and were not present when new 1.5 years ago (wow, time flies). I suppose it could have been something dripping on it - no suspects come to mind at this point.
Mainly just hoping someone else has seen this and already has the answer.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, it is often just a wonder as to where things come from and what they really are. I used to have a boat stored in a dock and we kept getting these stains on the fiberglass and they would not wash off. We finally traced it to birds eating mulberries then coming by. The droppings were washed off from rains but the stains were left!
On the motorhome, I have a variety of things that I have no idea of what some are from. The most obvious are from going by a road crew who were doing chip and seal and it got on windows and lots of things beside the fiberglass. Followed a truck through Dallas at one point and got something that looked like plastic resin. Better than rock chips, I guess but still not happy! I've learned not to park a car under a railroad trestle that has an open bottom as there are lots of things dripping through them.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, rust