Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

During a windshield replacement, has anyone ever been charged extra to remove any rust in the channel and not be included in the cost of the replacement which is covered by insurance? I had a windshield replaced at Forest City and they charged me to remove the rust which they claimed was not covered by the insurance. When I asked where any rust would come from they claimed the rubber around the windshield is to cover gaps and for decoration, not to seal out moisture. A year or so after I bought the coach I noticed the front upper clearance lights had some pretty good gaps around them so I attempted to seal around them better, but I noticed Winnebago really put a large amount of sealant around each one so they must have thought that was the problem. Looks like it was their problem from the beginning, the insurance company said the rust was normal wear and tear, and I still got charged for the rust removal.
Still seems this is part of the windshield replacement and will prevent it from cracking from rust pressure. Guess I'm wrong.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

During a windshield replacement, has anyone ever been charged extra to remove any rust in the channel and not be included in the cost of the replacement which is covered by insurance? I had a windshield replaced at Forest City and they charged me to remove the rust which they claimed was not covered by the insurance. When I asked where any rust would come from they claimed the rubber around the windshield is to cover gaps and for decoration, not to seal out moisture. A year or so after I bought the coach I noticed the front upper clearance lights had some pretty good gaps around them so I attempted to seal around them better, but I noticed Winnebago really put a large amount of sealant around each one so they must have thought that was the problem. Looks like it was their problem from the beginning, the insurance company said the rust was normal wear and tear, and I still got charged for the rust removal.
Still seems this is part of the windshield replacement and will prevent it from cracking from rust pressure. Guess I'm wrong.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Disappointing; did the tech wire brush, treat the area, prime and paint for the extra fee?
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The notation on my bill says "Ground off rust, cleaned, primed, sealed frame" for 1/2 hours labor. Still trying to get the insurance company to admit this is also done for their benefit also to keep a rust build-up from cracking the new glass in the future. They claim they've never heard of this possibility and that the rust is just from normal use, wear, and tear.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #5

I would just chalk it up to a "man it's good that that was done" by competent techs at Winnebago and eat whatever they charged you.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the insurance company is not familiar with how Winnebago windshields are secured (glued to the metal framework rather than held into fiberglass by a rubber seal), I can see they would not think rehabbing the metal was part of windshield replacement. Even without rust, the metal must be cleaned to get all the old glue off before a new windshield can be put in. The good part about Winnebago's windshields is that they are not going to pop out, and they add strength to the structure. The bad part is there is no way the glass can be removed and resealed ...they will destroy it getting it out.

When I had both windshields replaced last June (long story) the dealer body shop cleaned up the metal framework, removed severe rust at one place along the top passenger side where we had a water leak with source likely being a clearance light, and primed & painted the metal. I just looked at my invoice, and it says "Customer requests remove rust from windshield frame."

None of mine was covered by insurance, so I can't speak to what the insurance would or would not cover.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I like my Winnebago but FWIW, Winnebago needs to pay more attention/improve the process of coating metal on their rigs. The amount of rust I've seen in various places on my coach suggests the painting (e-coating?) they use is substandard.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Gary...I could not agree more. I also think sealing up marker lights, windshields, outside elec outlets, etc, should not be that hard. And way to much rust everywhere. Keeps us all busy running trouble.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

My windshield replacement mechanic charged $125 to remove the rust. See my recent post with photosHere

As you can see lots of Rust. The mechanic ground the rust off and then used a wire brush to remove the rust from the pitted metal. He did a good job. I submitted the photos to Winnebago and requested their consideration for covering the grinding cost. The window part was covered 100% by insurance. They sent me a check for the grinding cost and I am appreciative. Hopefully they have learned something about the water penetration and subsequent rust and the expensive damage to both our time and wallets and Winnebago's product quality. I enjoy our Journey and hopefully will continue to have the confidence to move to a new Winnebago product sometime in the future.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Winnebago needs to pay more attention/improve the process of coating metal on their rigs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After touring the the corrosion prevention shop at the factory, I don't understand how there are some areas of the coaches that are so vulnerable. After just two years, I had to remove the kick panel under the front door and rehab the metal the fiberglass is attached to. It was in terribly rusted condition. Due to the nature of the rubber molding, the metal windshield frame is not progtected from water at all, and any water that gets behind the rubber will simply sit on the metal until something gives, which is what happened in my case last June. There are also other areas here and there around the coach that I have sprayed with a rust "healer/preventative" paint to stop rust & corrosion. I keep some on hand all the time.

My clearance lamp placement is ridiculous ...they cannot even be seen from the ground until you get well away from the coach!!! If they were mounted on the vertical portion of the cap near the top, they would be much more visible AND I suspect also much less vulnerable to leaks.

Like SteveG, I submitted pictures and detailed justification to Winnebago as to why I felt they were at least partially responsible for my leaks and rust problem. In response, Winnebago generously "participated" in my repair expense also, although I paid a healthy portion too.

An unresolved issue in mine was the discovery by the glass installer that the driver side glass had been replaced before, apparently before I bought the coach "new." I have asked my selling dealer about that, and also more than once about paint work on the front and one side that became obvious to me over time, but both Winnebago and the dealer deny any knowledge of any such work being done. Yet they cannot explain why the entry door latch on my coach is painted two-colors to blend in with my full body paint, while every other Winnebago I have seen has a basic black entry door latch...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'll chime in once more and then be done with this....

Another post on the forum notes the awareness of the difficulties the new CEO of WGO, Bob Olsen, will face in the current conditions. I would suggest to Mr. Olsen that he ask his engineers to address these rather simple issues. The automotive industry seems to have addressed rust prevention very well.

Windshield replacement should be rather rare and only due to something hitting the glass or other similar misfortune. Having to replace a windshield due to rust on the framing pushing on the glass is inexcusable, especially in fairly 'young' (less than 10-12 years old) coaches.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Amen!

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Winnebago admitted to me that the rubber trim around the windshield is not designed nor supposed to keep out moisture, so they know water is going to get in around the metal trim causing rust. Its absolutely mind blowing that they know and allow this situation to continue without willingly paying for every one that has to be repaired. Guess its another one of those "cost cuttings" that just passes the problem on to the customer.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I learned on my 94 Vectra to put a bead of silicone caulk along the top of the upper rubber windshield rubber molding to prevent water from entering the steel channel from above. I also did this on the lower rubber molding...So far no rust buildup on my Journey....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I could sure use some help with our 2001 winnebago adventure. Our story starts with a small leak on the inside of the drivers window 4 years ago. A year after that we had a small crack fixed on the bottom of the drivers window.The next year a small crack on the passenger window fixed. The beginning of this year a good leak at top of window and last weekend passenger window crack at different location this time about half the window. winnebago's sevice is of no help. looking now for a good window/R.V. shop in Orange County California to help with repairs. Mike
miketoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I have had good luck with RV Glass Solutions 888-777-6778. They seem to be a broker and put you in touch with a vendor who serves the area your located in. I am not sure if they have their own glass installers.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

miketoo,
I think most RV dealers have a glass outfit that they use which they could recommend.

My Winnie was delivered in Dec to Altman's in Baldwin Park, CA. The driver must have taken it thru a snow storm with the pedal-to-the-metal. It was delivered with both sides of the windshield pitted and cracked. Altman's had the local glass guy fix it & it has held up well.

Besides the windshield, the rear cap was full of paint chips & had to be repainted. All the leading edges of the undercarriage was sand blasted & most of the black paint was gone.
Moral of the story, don't take a winter delivery date, without having the factory hold the coach until weather forecast is clear and/or warm.