Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Spent time cleaning and inspecting. I am amazed to see all of the rust underneath. I will now have the project of scraping and then putting a good coat of something that will stop rust. Anyone had this experience and what is a good product to use ??
Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Spent time cleaning and inspecting. I am amazed to see all of the rust underneath. I will now have the project of scraping and then putting a good coat of something that will stop rust. Anyone had this experience and what is a good product to use ??
Old 07-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I just bought some flat black spray paint (Rustoleoum I think) meant for covering rusted surfaces. Haven't used it yet.
At first I was going to use a spray product that converts the rust to a paintable primer, but the ones I found said you had to use a latex paint as a cover coat.
I then took a look at a zinc rich primer which acts as a sacrificial coating and stops rust, but it also called for a latex cover coat.

My problem with the latex cover coat was that I didn't find any spay latex paint. Maybe it exists and I just didn't see it.
For now I will brush off the rust and apply the flat black paint I bought.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Couple of suggestions: Just wire brush or wire-wheel the rust, then spray or brush on a coat of Ospho. It's cheap and it works. It turns rust black when it dries, and is a good primer. So follow-up with a coat or 2 of black spray paint. That should last for years.

If you want to get rid of the rust forever, do the same wire-wheel or wire brush prep, then paint a coat of POR15 on it. After that cures, paint a coat or 2 of black spray paint, although POR15 is fine as a final coat if it is not exposed to UV. POR15 actually cures and gets harder in a moist environment, and is why it's a great choice for engine mounts and engines on an inboard powered boat. You can find it for sale on-line using google.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Years ago the Navy used a product called EXTEND, by LOCITE and they bought it in 55gal.drums. Now several componies sell the same under different names! Walmart has it under the name of ONE-STEP by MAR-HYDE!
Tenn.Vol.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I just invested in a creeper and done a through inspection under my motorhome. I found several places that were rusting and more important than than I found several other components that were rubbing against sharp objects that just needed to be tie rapped to eliminate future problems, mostly around the engine area. On the rust issue, I just wire brushed, cleaned with rag, primered with good metal paint, painted with good black enamel paint that was good for metal use. Never use latex on metal, cause it will not hold up long and will require additional work. I had the major rust issues in and around the front end and the further toward the back the less it needed. Happy RVing!!!!!

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #7

.....Or spray it with Amsiol HD MP spray Rustproofing and Motorcycle chain lube every other year....geofkaye
Old 07-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Surface rust is just a cosmetic issue. Ospho works well if it bothers you.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I've used the Extend spray on some spots that I find troubling, followed by two coats of Rustoleum Professional paint....primarily in areas where the sheet metal is thin and I was concerned about eventual rust-through.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote