Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have rust in my water compartment near the door gasket (see photo). Has anyone else experienced this? I will have to remove the door gasket, clean the rust off and then prep the area before painting. What rust preventer or treatment should I use to keep this from re-occuring? I have the same rust problem around the base of the water hose reel.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have rust in my water compartment near the door gasket (see photo). Has anyone else experienced this? I will have to remove the door gasket, clean the rust off and then prep the area before painting. What rust preventer or treatment should I use to keep this from re-occuring? I have the same rust problem around the base of the water hose reel.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Let Winnebago know about it before its too late. They should repair if its not too far out of warranty. Check along the lower edge on all of the inner panels before they all go the same way.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I found some of that same rust behind the door seals on my Journey. So much for the 'E' coating they claim is so great.

I sand-blasted the areas, used Rustoleum 'Rust Reformer,' followed by Rustoleum flat paint. I also replaced the door seals....that stuff is pretty pricey.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Gary has a good process. You need to completely get rid of the rust and the best way is to sandblast. I have tried the wire brush route and Ospho (phosphoric acid)but the rust will come back. The gasket should come off and who knows what else.

I have heard that in old car restoration when body panels have rust they must be cut out and replaced because there is no effective method to permanently eliminate the rust problem. Found this out on a classic car I bought a few years ago - it looked beautiful for two or three years then the rust started pushing up the paint in problem areas. The restorer of that car obviously didn't cut out and replace rusted sheet metal.

I might be wrong, but I believe the only frame part that is dipped is the cab assembly (watched it happen!)

Totally agree with GG1 - make Winnie aware of the problem. Probably the best way to do this is to let a dealer take pictures of it and send them in to Winnie.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

http://www.por15.com/

Is this stuff any good? They make great claims.

It really is important to notify Winnie. Document your call. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:13 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Try a product called POR-15. Do a global search for the web site. I have used it so far it works good. Mine was applied in Feb of this year. It is supposed to neutralize the rust. I used a wire brush they reccomend to let some rust residue remain behind. I was told by a Winnie factory rep that if the problem was brought to their attention before the warranty ran out they would probably have taken care of it, mine started after 2 years, was fixed temporarily then came back, now its along the entire length of the inner black panels and under some of the rubber gasketing. IMO there is no excuse for this to occurr so soon.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hi All,
This sounds similar to a product that I think was developed by Loctite called Extend. I've used Extend and it does every thing is says it will do. I think it gets used as an undercoating on steel bridges and you don't have to paint over it. It hardens to a nice coal black finish. Should work great for all rust jobs under an RV.

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/loctite_co...754&disp_language=en
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/EXTRT-EN.pdf
Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrTransistor:
Hi All,
This sounds similar to a product that I think was developed by Loctite called Extend. I've used Extend and it does every thing is says it will do. I think it gets used as an undercoating on steel bridges and you don't have to paint over it. It hardens to a nice coal black finish. Should work great for all rust jobs under an RV.

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/loctite_co...754&disp_language=en
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/EXTRT-EN.pdf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used both Extend and Rustoleum Rust Reformer on this coach. At this point, both seem to work well but I am anxious to see which holds up best. I agree with the others that there is no good excuse for the rust I have seen behind the door gaskets and in some other places. Would have to believe the metal did not have proper surface prep before paint was applied.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote