Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Runnin' With The Boy's

On my way back up I 75 from Florida just this weekend I was pretty much running around 70 mph - yeah I know a little fast compared to what I usually run but.......gas is cheap and just about every other RV was running close to or over that speed.

I noticed a couple of coaches catching up to me and then blowin' my doors off - one was an Infinity, not towing, the other was a Dutch Star, towing a Jeep Wrangler. Since the DW was sleeping the little boy in me came out - I wanted to see how fast they were going - yeah I know pretty stupid but the devil made me do it. I harken back to the good old days of CB's and convoys - was ready to run with the "Big Dogs" But the Big Dogs didn't wan't me - they ran off and left me in their wake.

Found out some things I didn't know about my 07 Suncruiser with the 8.1 Engine - it won't go over 80 mph!! There's a governor on it and a message that comes across your speedometer that say's "You have reached maximum speed for this vehicle" and that's all she wrote. Not that I really needed to go that fast in the first place but now I know what happens if I do.

Also found that the cruise control doesn't work for beans at 68 mph and above - just makes the whole coach vibrate like it won't stay in gear. Both in 5th and 6th gear. Manually drive it and it's pretty good - just an occassionnal in and out of OD.

Realistically must have seen 1000 or more MH on I 75 last weekend coming home from Florida - not anywhere near that many this weekend. It was fun and I am glad to be home once again.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My governor will not allow me to go over 65 mph (04 V33 with 8.1). If I go any faster, she reaches over and hits me with her purse.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Glad you and everyone around you survived. I'm afraid my class C would fall apart if I tried to drive it over 55 or 60!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Glad you and everyone around you survived. I'm afraid my class C would fall apart if I tried to drive it over 55 or 60!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We came North on I-75 last week, Pullin' a Jeep!!

Rick
Old 04-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Them Buckeye Boys can run, but they can't hide!!!!! One reason to get outta Florida Fast!!!!!!

SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Frosty morning in North Georgia!!!

Rick
Old 04-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Rocket Heart, you need to get that 8.1 engine tweeked a bit. Nobody likes to get left in the dust.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

If you got a gasser, you can't run with the Big DP Herd.
My 8.1 shuts down @ 80 also.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Just wondering when the Ford V10 shuts down. I would suspect 80 also. Anyone know for certain?
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Becks, Ford engine also shuts down at 80. First time it happened to me I was on the I-40 just keeping up with traffic and all of a sudden the engine felt like it died. Scared the wits out of me. Now I have a 65 mph alarm on the GPS.

Hey Tom, what a different response you got on this website vs the "other". There was enough chest pounding on the other to scare off King Kong.

Tom "Fakrwee"
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakrwee View Post
Becks, Ford engine also shuts down at 80. First time it happened to me I was on the I-40 just keeping up with traffic and all of a sudden the engine felt like it died. Scared the wits out of me. Now I have a 65 mph alarm on the GPS.

Hey Tom, what a different response you got on this website vs the "other". There was enough chest pounding on the other to scare off King Kong.

Tom "Fakrwee"
No kidding - love to go over there just for the responses I get - keeps me occupied during the day.....lol
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

There is a way to manually overcome the electronic governor. I know it, but I do not encourage faster speeds than recommended by your vehicle producer. You will have to search for the answer. And it may not work in your case anyhow.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

My '08 Ford F53 shuts down at 75 (per ScanGauge). The indicated speed on the instrument panel speedo is about 77.

Like Fakrwee, it did scare the heck out of me the first time it happened

You can purchase "Programmers" that will set the speed higher (I believe Brazel's UltraPower sets it higher though I don't know how high, the Banks Ottomind does also), there are others available also.

I won't get into the why's or why not's of raising the speed limiter, but I suspect the mfr's do this as most of us run tires rated at 75MPH max and they are worried about liability.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I guess the fastest I ever had my 8.1 is around 70 . I want these old coots that are driving over their old heads. To past me & get out of my sight. What's their hurry?? Have they got an appointment with death?? Stupid is the only word I can think of.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
My '08 Ford F53 shuts down at 75 (per ScanGauge). The indicated speed on the instrument panel speedo is about 77.

Like Fakrwee, it did scare the heck out of me the first time it happened

You can purchase "Programmers" that will set the speed higher (I believe Brazel's UltraPower sets it higher though I don't know how high, the Banks Ottomind does also), there are others available also.

I won't get into the why's or why not's of raising the speed limiter, but I suspect the mfr's do this as most of us run tires rated at 75MPH max and they are worried about liability.
Yup mine shuts down about the same speed.....speedo shows about 77 or 78.

Sometimes I need a little more speed to pass but I guess Its there for a reason.

Front & Rear Koni FSD's
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Not that I've never run fast for a very brief period of time, 2200rpm=85 mph, but we should remember that most all tires on our coaches are only rated for sustained speeds of 75 MPH. At these speeds it would be important to know the weight of all four corners of the coach and have proper air pressure.

My GPS alarm fires off at 62.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I recall the first time I found that out on my 2003 Suncruiser. I crested a hill and looked down into a steep valley where an immediate steep climb followed. It was a nice 4 lane concrete road with good conditions so I punched it to build up speed so that I could climb the following upgrade at something better than 35 MPH.

Just as I got close to the bottom of the hill I hit 80 and the governor came on and I must have stretched the seatbelts a couple of inches as the coach tried to throw me out the windshield. By the time I recovered I was down to 65 MPH and the climb up the next grade was very slow indeed.

I wouldn't condone driving that coach at 80 MPH normally but there's time when a quick boost is handy and that 80 MPH governor can get in the way.

My '04 Allegro Bus/Freightliner had an 85 MPH governor, which is just fine because it had enough torque that you didn't need that much of a prerun. Not sure what my '07 Bus/Spartan has but I know I've hit 85 once without governing it.

Looks like the official land speed record for a gasser class A motorhome at the Bonneville Salt Flats is going to be 80 MPH for quite some time.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Took this a few years back, but since Mark mentioned the salt flats
Old 04-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Okay! For those who must, or those who at a crucial time need that extra speed/power, try this. When the governor kicks in, let up off of the accelerator all the way and quickly push it back down to the floor. In many instances this may over ride the governor. I take no responsibility for your actions.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote