Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Am I the only one that is having this problem? There are 3" wide rubber moldings across the top and bottom of my windshield, and a single vertical rubber molding down the center. The top molding has shrunken about 4 inches and in the gap I can see the windshield glass and the silicone seal where it bonds the glass to the end-cap metal. I am guessing that UV radiation from the sun, heat from the glass in the sun, ozone in the atmosphere, and the very low humidity levels in Colorado are to blame. I've been told go to any auto glass company and they can replace the molding. However, I am wondering if I should order a new molding set from the Big O Bago factory? Waddauthink?

Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Am I the only one that is having this problem? There are 3" wide rubber moldings across the top and bottom of my windshield, and a single vertical rubber molding down the center. The top molding has shrunken about 4 inches and in the gap I can see the windshield glass and the silicone seal where it bonds the glass to the end-cap metal. I am guessing that UV radiation from the sun, heat from the glass in the sun, ozone in the atmosphere, and the very low humidity levels in Colorado are to blame. I've been told go to any auto glass company and they can replace the molding. However, I am wondering if I should order a new molding set from the Big O Bago factory? Waddauthink?

Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hey Larry - welcome to the forum.

I haven't heard about windshield molding shrinking but I would be concerned. Maybe give a call to the Winne service number and talk it over with them.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

HI larry welcome to the forum

I too have had that problem, the last time i was at my dealers for other things i noticed it, and asked the tech about it. He looked at it, got his ladder and stretched the molding back into place, them glued it down with some sealeant, took all of 5 miutes.

2004 Saturn Vue
keleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yep it is a common problem here in sunny Florida and not limited to just the motorhome.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem with my side window gaskets where they popped out at the corners. My dealer replaced them. Your molding is not rubber but is extruded flexible PVC.PVC will shrink due to temperture. Don't be surprised is you see the condition again eventhough it was re-glued.
SMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem, just loosen the screws in the upright molding, stretched the top rubber back to where it belonged, tightened the screws, holding for 3 months now!

Bruce
Old 12-09-2006, 02:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Great news! I took John's advice and sent an email to the factory service site. They are sending OEM replacement moldings for the entire windshield. And, there will be no cost. Thanks for the advice and thanks to Winnebago for standing behind their product line after the sale.

Larry