Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Seal along the bottom of the Bedroom Slide came loose. Ordered new one from Winnie, its wider than the old seal(11ft long). Cleaned the old seal and the area that it attaches too added new 3m double sided tape, attached. Facing the Moho the right half of seal stays in place but the left end instead of being vertical goes horizontal when putting the slide in.

Pulled it out and added 3M black seal adhesive, let dry overnight and it still is horizontal on the left end. Anyone have any fixes for this seal? Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Seal along the bottom of the Bedroom Slide came loose. Ordered new one from Winnie, its wider than the old seal(11ft long). Cleaned the old seal and the area that it attaches too added new 3m double sided tape, attached. Facing the Moho the right half of seal stays in place but the left end instead of being vertical goes horizontal when putting the slide in.

Pulled it out and added 3M black seal adhesive, let dry overnight and it still is horizontal on the left end. Anyone have any fixes for this seal? Thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ichn2go, if you find out let me know, I have an 04 Brave and have had the seal replaced 3 times since new under warrenty, and it's coming loose again. First 2 times it wasn't installed right at all, 3rd time it lasted about 2 years. I'm thinking about putting a piece of aluminum across the seal and holding it on with sheet metal screws. When it comes loose it floods the compartment below the slideout. If this sounds like a good idea,let me know also cause this is my next step
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds good to me.. I thought of screws with a flat washer about every foot to hold it on.

A narrow/thin strip of aluminum with screws every foot would hold even better than the washers. Having the screw holes counter sunk would be best. Don't want to do anything to keep the slide from closing properly. Good Luck
Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You got it, that's exactly what I was thinking only thing I didn't think of was the washers. As for counter sinking it I don't think it would matter cause I don't think there's anything in the way to hit. I figure the strip should be about 1/2" to 3/4" wide. The seal is a little over 1 1/4" tall. Use self drilling sheet metal screws will make it even easier with a screw gun.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I don't think I would use anything wider than a half inch. That would give the seal plenty of space to flex 1 1/4 minus 1/2 = 3/4". that would be the minimum I would suggest and the self drilling screws sounds good.
If you look on the bottom lip of the slide itself you will see a rubber gasket. Wouldn't want to do anything to damage that. . Let me know what you finally do and where you get your strip...Thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'll have to do some measurements before I start doing anything first but yes your right about not making it to wide. The seal on the bottom lip rests against the body of the coach. I plan on double checking that before I start.
And yes I'll let you know where I get the parts and how it turns out, maybe I can get some pics to go with it? Are you going to the Oyster Fest in Urbanna this year? If so maybe we'll bump into one another there?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Raydar, I have never done oyster fest. Will be going to the Blue Ridge on Oct17. Good Miles
Old 10-22-2008, 02:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Ichn2go, I finally got some parts together and got it clamped in place. Got a 6' piece of aluminum from HomeDepot 12"wide by 1/8" thick, cut it in half and used self drilling screws in 5 places each. Ran the slide back and forth a number of times and it looks like it's going to hold. There's plenty of space so it's not a problem. Only thing is you will need an angled drill to put the screws in because of the small amount of room to work. We're heading out this week end and their calling for rain so we'll see what happens.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Raydar, sounds good. I am confused about the 12" wide cut in half. = 6"??? The rubber is 11 ft long by about 1 and 1/4. Did you cover the whole length or just a part of it? Good luck
Old 10-22-2008, 03:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Oops, my mistake I meant 1/2" wide cut into 2- 3' sections. The slide is just over 6'wide so I have an area about 4 inches not clamped. No problem due to the center groove is about 4" wide so the seal don't hit that spot. If your slide is 11' just use 2 6' pieces and cut off what you dont need. Just make sure you have the strip close to the bottom of the seal, there's not a lot of lip to catch. This might be why it lets go so often. HomeDepot wanted about 8-9 bucks per piece, screws were about 3/8' long.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Sounds better now.
How did you cut the piece long ways into 1/2 " strip?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I bought 1-6' long X 1/2" Wide X 1/8" thick piece cut it to 2-3' long X 1/2" wide X 1/8" thick pieces. If this makes more sense?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks,,somehow I got it in my thick head that you cut it to 1/2". Glad you can buy it that way,so I'll just need two pieces. Thanks for helping this old man to understand. Be Safe
Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

When you go to put the strips on make sure the seal is pulled out at the top. Other wise there's not much seal against the frame to put the screws throughand it makes it way harder to hold onto. If the top of the seal is pushed in the bottom of the seal is near 45 degrees in angle. looking from the side it'll look something like this (outside)"/"(coach body). And not to worry, we're all in it together tring to help one another...
Old 10-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I appreciate all your help. Which department at Home Depot did you find the strips in? Thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

It would be in the hardware department, same one as where the have rope, chain, and I think where the nuts and bolts are. Lowes has the same thing if it's closer for you and same department.
I had a request for pictures from jdsr so I'll try and get some this weekend and hopefully get them posted next week.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Here's those pictures I said I'd try to post. I tried to make it make sense.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5..._leak_area.JPG
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5...Seal_depth.JPG
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5...Seal_clamp.JPG
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5...m/Seal_gap.JPG
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5..._near_leak.JPG
Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Got mine done Raydar, looks like yours except I went across the piston gap also. By drilling the holes on somewhat of angle I was able to use a electric drill to sink the screws. Thanks a lot for all your help. Itchn
Old 10-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Next step, paint. CAREFULLY! Glad I was able to help, sometimes people think my ideas are nutz. Son calles me the "King of Juryriggers". Most of the time they work. Most of the time I have to redo it just to make it look pretty.