Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have had to replace the rubber that is on the bottom of our bedroom slide, we find that it is put on with a sticky tape and when the slide goes in and out the rubber rubs the bottom of the slide to keep it clean and dry. Do you have any suggestions to keep the rubber on, we thought about glue but would have a horrible mess if it didn't work.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
rjhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have had to replace the rubber that is on the bottom of our bedroom slide, we find that it is put on with a sticky tape and when the slide goes in and out the rubber rubs the bottom of the slide to keep it clean and dry. Do you have any suggestions to keep the rubber on, we thought about glue but would have a horrible mess if it didn't work.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Mine was replaced 2 yrs ago with the adhesive backing type. It lasted 2 days before it came loose when the slide went out. I used the black 3m weatherstripping adhesive along with adhesive remover to remove the black adhesive from the outside of the coach, it is a messy job, the adhesive remover will not damage the paint. It was good for 2 years last week the slide developed a leak, today I had my dealer order the new style seal.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Jim
Winnebago Owner

when i replaced the bottom bedroom seal i bought 1/2 metal strips at home depot and installed them with screws every 12"..the strips are u shaped looking from the ends and have slits every 1/8" or so..i don't know what they are called but they appear to be something you would hang brackets on..the width is 1/2" and the ends are curled up about 1/8"..i installed with the curled ends out and the flat back side against the rubber seal..has been holding for 6+ years..jim
Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I called Winnie and they said they did not have a different type of a seal. Our MH is 2002 Journey.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i used the original type seal..my dealer replaced the first one and about a week later it also came loose..the original one was held on by an adhesive backing and was improperly installed by winnebago..the dealer failed to remove all the adhesive and clean the area before installing the new seal and so it also came off..i had the dealer get me a new seal,i removed the old one and cleaned the area ,then installed the new seal with the adhesive backing..once it was on right i then added the metal strip i mentioned..also the factory installed the slide improperly so that there was practically no room for the seal..the dealer raised the slide some and i raised it further to provide about 1" of clearance for the seal..jim
Old 10-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We just put a metal strip held on with screws and will let you know if we have problems with it. I was also told by Winnie that you should use corn starch put on with a dry brush on all your rubber strip once a month, has anyone ever done that? Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:07 AM   #8
Jim
Winnebago Owner

gg1..i just noticed in my spam folder that the email i sent you on the 10th with pictures of the metal strip and underside of slide did not go through..i tried to upload them to irv2 but they were rejected as too large..i'll try to reduce the resolution and resend..sorry for the delay..jim
Old 10-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i was able to send 2 pictures and they are pending approval..search under user name jim..they show the metal strip and how it is installed..jim
Old 10-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Jim

I found the photos, thank you. My dealer is getting conflicting stories from Winnebago. One tech says the new style seal will fit another says no. ??????? Sometimes I think its easier to figure things out yourself and improvise.