Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Oooooookaaaaayyyy, do we reeeaaaally need the safety strap to hold in the front slide-in while on the road? If so, mines useless now. I was able to put the screws back in the strap latch mounting bracket so that it holds in the slide-in's molding on the inside of the coach that ripped loose. Luckily nobody can see the damage that was done when it ripped out because I forgot to take it off in my hurry to set up camp last weekend at the dog show.
I know that when the dealer sold the coach to me , he said that most people don't use it anymore for that reason. Was it a liability insurance thing for Winnebago? I don't dare put it on anymore until I get larger screws to put back into the holes.
That didn't really make my day
Okay, so how many of you will own up to that mistake, or is it just me?
Live and learn....and play.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Oooooookaaaaayyyy, do we reeeaaaally need the safety strap to hold in the front slide-in while on the road? If so, mines useless now. I was able to put the screws back in the strap latch mounting bracket so that it holds in the slide-in's molding on the inside of the coach that ripped loose. Luckily nobody can see the damage that was done when it ripped out because I forgot to take it off in my hurry to set up camp last weekend at the dog show.
I know that when the dealer sold the coach to me , he said that most people don't use it anymore for that reason. Was it a liability insurance thing for Winnebago? I don't dare put it on anymore until I get larger screws to put back into the holes.
That didn't really make my day
Okay, so how many of you will own up to that mistake, or is it just me?
Live and learn....and play.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I for one have done that.
Do you really need to use it? I don't and haven't had a problem. to be safe its best that you do use it.
One day I may wish I had not been so lazy. On a long trip I certainly would attach it for peace of mind. Most of my trips are 10 hours or less.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I do not use mine . I removed it almost immediately,I have never seen nor heard of an event that the RVer ststed that if it weren,t for the safety stap "yadda-yadda".

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The owners manual stated on mine that you only use the strap if you have to manually pull in the slide.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:22 AM   #6
cwg
Winnebago Camper

You could have a whole list of owners who have done the same thing. I never travel with it connected and stored the straps many moons ago. At a national Winnebago show I saw an engineer demonstrate the sturdiness of the slide by suspending his weight, hanging off the slide while it was retracted. No need to put the straps on; in fact, only one strap is present on my current model.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AKBrick:
Okay, so how many of you will own up to that mistake

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Often wondered if the slide were to go out on its own, would those screws even hold it? I know the answer when I pushed the extend button on my old Brave. Don't even remember seeing the strap when I got my Adventurer.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:38 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I used it once, when I had a failure in the solenoid valve that kept it in. Bad idea. It pulled the molding loose when going down the road as it tried to creep out. I then deployed the manual retract racthet in the stairwell to hold it in place and through the goofy little strap away.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Guilty. Hubby just moved mounting bracket a couple of inches. We now know the power of the hydraulic slide!! whew!

Happy travels!

Rose
Old 07-18-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well thank-you ladies and gentlemen,
I do feel better about myself now. I must admit I was fishing to catch a little of my self esteem back.
Take care all.
AKBrick
Old 07-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I always use mine as it does stop a bit of the squeeking of the rubber seal on the side of the rig. The one time I was standing at the drivers side door and I put my hand accidently on the slide out button, It was to late by the time I heard the 2 Pop Pop noises and It ripped the screws out of the floor, I just bought larger screws and put them back on.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:29 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

My RV dealer adviser said the strap mostly does just like you did. Breaks something when you forgot to take it off. He said way more repairs come in for forgoten straps than Opps...slide out comeing open for no reason. I do not use the strap.

Happy trails.........
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Stevegd007,
That's what my dealer said too, but then he turned right around and said that I should use it. He was sort of acting like it was a liability if he didn't tell to do it.It was comming out of the side of his mouth. I should have gone with my gut feeling and left it well enough alone. Heavy sigh. But hey, life is still great!
Old 07-20-2005, 07:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I used mine when I first bought the mh until the dealer's tech forgot to take it off and put out the slide. It ripped the molding off where it was attached. The dealer repaired it.
According to Winnebago the strap is not meant to keep the slide from going out. It is meant to make a better seal when it's in. Frankly, I don't see how it does that as there is only one on the front end of the slide.

I quit using mine.

Joe Fischer
2004 Itasca Meridian 34H
Old 07-20-2005, 09:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

We took ours off last year because we got tired of stepping on the bracket in our bare feet. Haven't had any trouble yet.

2004 - 34D Itasca Sunrise
Rarintogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Rarintogo,
Now THERES'S a thought!!! Thanks.
AKBrick