Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof treatment for 2007 Voyage

Our last MH had a rubber roof and the one before that had a 1pc Aluminum roof still another had a roof similar to the metal sides of the rig. This new to us 2007 Voyage has a one piece fiberglass roof. I am in the process of washing it now as it is extremely dirty.( say in the process because I was driven from the roof by a storm) Where it is clean it appears very shiny and from what I can tell so far it looks to be in good shape. Other than checking around antennas and vents to check that the self leveling sealant is in good shape and checking the seams around sides and end caps. What else needs to be done. I was thinking that once I can get off my knees I'll wash it again with Miguiers wash and wax. What else should I do?
BillB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Bill, I am surprised your question has set idle for several days. Had the same/similar questions several weeks ago and half the forum chimed in. Every one had an opinion and were passionate about their solution. I will reprise my solution and let the opinion games begin!

I washed and waxed our fiberglass roof with various recommended products, but they just didn't seem to hold up to our southwestern sun. Got tired of chalky streaks down the sides after heavy dews and light rains. (Not here, we have to drive far in search of rain)

Finally, with no small amount of trepidation, decided to try ZEP High Traffic Floor Wax. Applied two coats with a Swifter dry pad (well, wet with ZEP). Nice look. Not high gloss, but a satisfying satin sheen. Not as slippery as the other products either - wet or dry. Just rolling over the two year mark, and it still looks great. Had rain and dew last month up at the North Rim. Still no white streaks. Nor from the monsoons here this month. After the monsoons, I may apply another coat, but not sure it needs it.

Although it is easily remove with ZEP's proprietary remover, be advised two coats of ZEP leaves a film about as thick as plastic wrap. It also bonded to all the various roof penetration sealants. I'm calling the film thickness and bonding a plus.

And there we are! We report, you decide!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That sounds like a great idea. What type caulk do you use to do the seams along the side and end caps?
BillB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Bill, Mine is 5yrs older and was pretty neglected. The endcaps on my Sightseer are 'designed-to-leak' from my perspective having been in the marine industry. There are plenty of nice caulks, OSI's QUAD was highly recommended by RV folks and easily available at Lowes/HD, etc. Avoid 3M 5200 unless you own a jackhammer and are willing to destroy a joint.

I didn't know about it 'till I came here, but ETERNA BOND tape is spectacular. I doubt I will be using a caulk gun on anything other than a clamp joint. It bridges gaps and is exceptionally tenacious.

Also, I never heard about it before here, but I could not get ZEP floor wax off the exterior side walls fast enough. The film aspect Terry mentions looks like c'hit on a surface with varying gloss. It also seemed exceptionally difficult to apply evenly. It's dirt cheap and also at the home store, but if I get my sides glossed up, then I'd use one of the new auto waxes/sealants with UV protection.

Using ZEP on the roof, however, seems a great idea. Quick, cheap and not a place the eye spends much time. I'd simply mask the first few feet of the vertical walls to keep that stuff off them. 'Just one opinion ...other people had different results.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, voyage