Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

roof top ac while moving

Today we drove to Texas and needed more AC than the dash could muster. Turned on the gen and cranked up both AC units.
Worked great for a while but then they started blowing hot air. Turned them off and tried them later and same result. Seems the compressors shut down after a while, almost like they are overheating.
Tried them when in stop and go traffic and they seemed to work normally.
Anyone with the new rooftop air experience anything like this?
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On a short trip from the Dallas area to Lake Texoma two weekends ago this happened to us with our 2010 Outlook Class C. Had the coach A/C on and during mid trip the generator shut down which then turned the A/C off. Checked the generarator and all is well. Not sure what to think. This was the first time we had ever tried traveling with the roof top air on while in motion.
FlatwaterMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Things vary from place to place and from make/model to make/model.

I have had issues with my Dash Air, but last week I had to go out in 92 degree heat, I mean .. Well, I tell how I use a Gen-Turi on the genrator when parked and how I often dissassemble and remove it with the generator still running and the black pipe never gets too hot to handle.. Well, it was too hot to handle comfortably that day (Due to sun heat, not engine heat, of this I'm sure)

No problems with the roof top A/C, Had dash workign, but only on medium low (Fixed that on Monday) 3 weeks ago I did not even have medium high so that was a major imrpovement.

Not the first time I've triple A/Ced on the road.

The only problem is when I got back to the site the Generator was OFF, no code stored in it (I checked, twice) but it was OFF. Still do not know why.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Almost the same facts yesterday. I called the Winnebago help line, they told me I was setting the temp too low, raised the temp to 80 and both kicked on nice and cool. The internal temp was 90 at the time. The back air only blew hot air up until then

Got to love Winnebago support !
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We just traveled to of resort spot yesterday. Temp outside was 102,103, 106, 109 depending on which bank you looked at along the way.

Needless to say it was hot outside. Fired up the generator as soon as we unplugged from shore power. Slide in and front ac on. Drove the 90 miles at 65-70 mph with no issues at all. The engine temp (cummins 8.3l diesel) ran a bit warmer than normal, but never near red zone.

Second trip with generator/ac running. Much nicer ride, since dash ac is not working.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
We just traveled to of resort spot yesterday. Temp outside was 102,103, 106, 109 depending on which bank you looked at along the way.

Needless to say it was hot outside. Fired up the generator as soon as we unplugged from shore power. Slide in and front ac on. Drove the 90 miles at 65-70 mph with no issues at all. The engine temp (cummins 8.3l diesel) ran a bit warmer than normal, but never near red zone.

Second trip with generator/ac running. Much nicer ride, since dash ac is not working.
I really dont think your experiences with your a/c is helping to answer the mans question..No offense but this happens a lot. Someone asks a question and people tell all the good things that happened to their rigs but does not have anything to do with the original posters problems. Answer the mans question or dont bother to reply..
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

DONANDMAX why to put it out there, straight and to the point !
now about the a/c when it is super hot outside your units can only cool the outside air down about 10 to 20 degrees.so if it's 100 outside 80 is your first stop. after that take the setting down about 2 degrees to 5 degrees using inside air. this usually will keep the compressor from freezing up. now for the gen., if you let your fuel tank gets below 3/8 to 1/4 the generator will shut down so you don't run out of fuel by using the gen. when you're parked dry camping .I hope this helps someone out there.
KNIGHT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

rream:

So if we set the temp too low on the thermostat it will cause the compressor to stop running? That seems a bit crazy, but if it works I will be amazed and delighted. Will be sitting stationary for a week or so then moving again in hot weather so will give it a try then.

Your AC continued blowing but the sir was obviously not being cooled so actually the heat I was picking up from the ceiling ducts was warmer than the coach as I continued using the dash air, finally givng up on the roof air and only using the dash air.

Did Winnebago give an explanation for the behavior? Can you work the thermostat down lower once you get the coach cooled down a bit? Is it the absolute setting or the differential between actual temp and thermostat setting that caused this result?

Thanks for the information,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The units I have on the roof are designed differently than the older units I am used to, not sure when they changed. The condenser air exits out the top of the unit instead of the rear. Moving down the highway may be hindering the outflow, causing the compressor to kick off due to high head pressure.

If your evaporator is freezing up it is not because you have set the tstat to low.

Also, be careful using these new digital tstats. Very easy to set the wrong cycle. In the cooling mode, the mode button cycles cool auto, cool hi, cool low, fan hi, fan low.

On the new Winnies, also keep an eye on the return air filters, they will catch a lot of dust quickly. I use a flashlight to check ours.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

See post #6 on this thread, might be the internal foam seal not sealing & overloading unit while on the road & blowing hot air at high speed past/thru the unit.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Being a non tech guy I did not ask and they did not say - just what they told me - you could call tommorrow (Monday)
rream is offline   Reply With Quote