Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I want to do a self install of a satellite dish on the roof of a 2006 Adventurer 37B. I am curious if anyone has taken on this task themselves and if so is the coax cable pre-wired up to that location or do I have to fish it. Any advice concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

Workhorse W-24
Rock-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I want to do a self install of a satellite dish on the roof of a 2006 Adventurer 37B. I am curious if anyone has taken on this task themselves and if so is the coax cable pre-wired up to that location or do I have to fish it. Any advice concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

Workhorse W-24
Old 11-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My 2006 Voyage has a spot on the roof marked for the location of the coax for a sat install. It is located in the center of the roof about 4 feet behind the front of the coach.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any advice concerning this would be greatly appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

e-mail to [email protected] (Winnie Owner Relations)

Or call 800-537-1885.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Its an easy job if you think before you drill. I'm bad about that! As I said on a thread early this year on this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Amen on the caution to double check before drilling. I DID drill where the decal was and drilled all the way into the cabin...ooops. It worked out ok because I needed a second hole inside anyway for the elevation meter but I would have preferred it somewhere else. (we just use the manual Winegard and very happy with it.) It is an easy job as everyone has said. I will make another suggestion. Winnie saved 50 cents by only running one coax. We don't watch live TV if we can avoid it and use a DVR. You will want 2 coax's so that you can watch one and record another; record 2, etc.I used the existing Winnie coax as the "fish tape" and attached 2 coax's on it. Then I pulled the single fish coax from the cabinet and got the 2 coax's pulled into the area where the sat receiver sits. An easy job, if you do it at this stage.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The decal on the roof that is marked indicates where the hole for the coax and little wires for the elevation sensor are. Thus you only drill through the roof, not into the cabin here. You then position the antenna base away from that a prescribed distance (read the directions!) and that is where you drill all the way into the cabin for the crank & turn mechanism. I screwed this up but did a nice recovery. Also have a couple of tubes of self leveling "caulk" that Winnie proscribes for the roof. It works VERY well and we've had no leaks.

If you tackle this, it really is easy and you can save several hundred $. Be glad to chat with you more if you need, phone or email.

On edit: here's a link to the thread I mentioned Click
Old 11-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

It is a fairly easy job. If you do it yourself you will know any short cuts taken. Use quality compression F connectors and replace the one that Winnebago used on the roof (crimp type), a tool only costs about $15.00 at a Home Depot or Lowes. This will possibly save you from problems in the future.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I want to Thank everyone for the replies. I plan on tackling this job this weekend while the weather is still decent. Again, Thanks...

Workhorse W-24
Old 12-05-2008, 03:14 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Holler at me if you have any questions as you go. Been there, done that. I check the forum regularly. Seriously consider running 2 Coax's if you ever contemplate running a DVR. Its easy to do now. Check you PM. Steve