Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof replacement San Diego area

Lost most of our roof coming into San Diego n I-8. Have no idea where to take it. Hopefully Winnebago will have recommendations Monday.
.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1451090809.750331.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	114933

2005 34A Winnie Sightseer pushed by a 2013 Chevy Sonic.
Dave & Jo's Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wow...the storm was rough!

The service centers in-town are very busy and nothing to rave about.

These folks just to the north have good feedback and their Yelp rating is pretty good too:
http://www.rvready4u.com/
See
Rv Ready - 18 Photos - RV Dealers - Temecula, CA - Reviews - Yelp

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Wow. Maybe Sonrise RV in Escondido. They have done good systems repair work for me over the years. I see they do a lot of body and major structural work when I am in their shop.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Wow how the heck does something like this happen? OP what kind of winds where you in?
Old 12-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We have had service and fairly extensive sheet metal and fiberglass and paint work done by Rick's Trailer Supply in San Clemente. The company is well established and family owned. Tom, the owner, has given us accurate cost and completion date estimates. We are glad to highly recommend Tom and his company.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

There are a bunch of RV repair shops in El Cajon right off I8 east of San Diego. We use Ricks RV in El Cajon for a lot of things. They are very reliable. I assume that wind blew off the fiberglass. Wow, must have been some strong gust. I am not sure Rick's can do that type of fiberglass work. Temecula Valley RV about 1 1/2 north of San Diego in Temecula can. Erik is the owner.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Jo's Winnie View Post
Lost most of our roof coming into San Diego n I-8. Have no idea where to take it. Hopefully Winnebago will have recommendations Monday.
.Attachment 114933

Dave,
First off, I assume "Dave" due to your user name. Second, we were born and raised in San Diego and, have dealt with a few of the RV service centers in that area. One of the first I'd recommend is San Diego RV Center, on Bond in El Cajon. Here's the link:

San Diego RV Center - Service, Parts, Paint, Body, Warranty, Consignment

While there a couple of years ago getting some body work done, I talked extensively with the then body shop foreman Frank. Not sure if he's still there. He was an outstandingly helpful gent with tons of information and willing to bend over backwards to accommodate our requests as well as make sure his company did a top notch job on our repairs.

He walked me through the process of replacing a rubber roof with a "Sprayed on" version. It's the almost exact same product as what's used in pickup beds. It's a "Rhino Lining" of sorts. He had at that time, about 6 lined up for the process. And, those weren't only rubber roofed coaches. Quite a few of them were fiberglass roofed coaches.

I climbed up the rear ladders on a couple of coaches that had the process completed. All I can say is WOW! That is one outstanding coating. It's basically bullet-proof. It's all one piece when it's complete. And, it's guaranteed for I think for life, but, better check on that. I'm not sure what your insurance is going to say about what kind of replacement you're going to get or, what kind of control you have but, I'd surely research this avenue just so you've got all your bases covered. You'd hate to fork out a ton of money on a replacement rubber roof when, you could have got one like that for highly possibly less money.

It to me, would be well worth your time to check out this option. If I had a coach that we really, really liked and, the roof was in that kind of condition, I'd DEMAND that kind of roof, to the insurance company, if they were involved. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Dito for San Diego RV in El Cajon. Rino roof product can be viewed on their Web site.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Dito for San Diego RV in El Cajon. Rino roof product can be viewed on their Web site.
I have a 2007 Itasca Navion 23H had San Diego RV do some work. Good Job You should at least give them a call.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yep, I concur. San Diego RV does outstanding work. I personally saw one of their Rhino roofs a year or so ago and it looked great. That's the way I'll go if I ever need a roof.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

He may have to go the way his Insurance Co. wants too.
If all the suggested repairs cost the same. Then he may have a choice of which one to use.

If no insurance coverage. Then his choice.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Dave Give Travis House a call at Temecula RV 951-694-2347. They are located just north of SD (10 miles) off the I15. I have had a lot of work done there over the last 3 years and do they do quality work. Travis will give you an honest estimate and will work with you to get the work done.

FYI that damage sucks what happened?
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I would also recommend San Diego RV Center as well, they are actually located east of El Cajon, just off I-8. I dealt with Frank on two different repairs, including a Winnebago (Itasca) roof. On my fiberglass roof, the caulking had gone bad and the edge of the roof was just starting to come out of the channel. Eventually it can come out, if the air gets under it then it will tear off like yours did. In other words, it starts off as a small issue and gets worse over time, one of those things that needs to be checked or re-calked once in a while. One of my friends had a "spray on" roof installed there and it looks great. My experiances with San Diego RV Center have been very positive, they did a great job with my roof and my windshield repair and are very prompt. Hope that all goes well.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Went with La Mesa RV. They are replacing the entire roof and State Farm agreed to cover the cost ($16,800.00). The local shops suggested all have very good reputations. I live in Tucson which makes it difficult to get back to one of the locals should any problems surface. La Mesa RV has a dealership in Tucson. Will let all know how things work out. Thanks for the feedback.

Dave & Jo's Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Good luck. Hope all works out well for you.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

La Mesa RV in San Diego has always been good to me. They know what they are doing...just too busy to ever get in for service with less than 3 weeks wait.

And their Yelp rating is pretty good at 3.5 out of 5:
La Mesa RV - 10 Photos - RV Dealers - Kearny Mesa - San Diego, CA - Reviews - Yelp

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, roof