Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Roof or Basement HVAC??

I'm starting to look for a late model Winnebago diesel pusher and would like to know:
1-What years and models have Basement HVAC units?
2-Would you have a basement unit on your next RV?

I presently have a 2010 Aspect 30C with a roof unit.
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Winne Journey 36g with a the basement ac, I would not buy one again. it is noisy and you loose storage space. The up side is that it works well and my coach is only 11 ft 7 high. I like the coach and am not going to replace. If in the future I was looking again, I would go with roof air.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by denk View Post
I'm starting to look for a late model Winnebago diesel pusher and would like to know:

we had a basement AC on our 2000 gasser suncruiser and rooftop AC on our new gasser sucruiser. the upside to basement air is no roof penetration so no leaks.maintenance is also easier.the downside is you lose an entire storage bay to the AC and since both the sleeping area and the basement AC are usually located in the rear of the RV the noise from the AC at night is, in my opinion, much more pervasive.all in all I would rather have the storage and learn to sleep with the noise.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I had a 2006 36SE Meridian (Itasca) with basement air and really liked it. Cooled coach very well even in 100 Oklahoma heat.
The newer roof airs work well also. You will usually have a unit in the bed room. noise for that is a little quieter.
Also we really like the heat pump option. We used it a lot when plugged in.
I would buy another coach with basement air.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

From a service stand point basement system is less well known, parts such as boards are often not in stock. Given lack of exposure to system, most techs are much more proficient troubleshooting roof airs.

From a usage standpoint they all work well.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the prompt responses, you must have your Christmas shopping and wrapping all done
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think you will find that the basement air disappeared at the same time that DEF was required in the diesel pushers
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I had an 03 Suncruiser with Basement Air and loved it. The Heat pump worked well also. Yes you loose some storage space but I still lied it better. This may also be due to the different ducting system from the Vista to a Suncruiser so you have to take that with a grain of salt.
Now as far as the Roof systems, the A/C Heat pumps work well, however they real noisy and you have to turn the TV's up when they come on. This too may be because of the model I have verses the higher end one.
The thing you have to ask yourself is do you want an older model MH or a new up to date MH and then which model of that you want, ie, Suncruiser or Vista. In other words low end or High end which does make a difference in how the same equipment is installed, with hidden intakes and one side of the coach vents is supply and the other side of the coach is return or the low end the roof vents are all supply and the AC unit itself is the return.
All of this will effect the overall quality, sound and comfort level in the MH.
OK all done now it's up to you on what you decide.
When in doubt, try them all out at your local dealership.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

2000 Horizon has electric basement air/heat pump. Also has propane furnace. I also added one non ducked electric roof air. Noise is the only issue. Roof air is the noisiest followed by basement air/heat pump then the furnace. Furnace provides the fastest heat. Basement air provides the best cooling.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I think one of the big advantages of basement air is that you can cool the entire coach with a 30 amp service. I believe with two separate roof air conditioners you would need 50 amp service or select only one with 30 amp service.

I like our basement air, it needed some service when we purchased the motorhome, new condenser coil and compressor, I am a HVAC technician so I did all the work myself. There is lots of great documentation online, parts were easy to locate and the unit is nice to work on. My advice is if you need service, find yourself a residential HVAC guy not a RV repair facility.

Oh, also love the heat pump option. We camp a lot on the shoulder season and this heats the coach very quickly without using propane.

I wish some of the companies that make mini split systems would enter the RV market.

Have you looked at a Ultimate Advantage ? Very nice.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

When looking for a New to us RV last year we opted for a basement air Meridian mainly for the layout it had ( the couch as well as two recliners sold us )
Love the idea of being able to change out the standard return air filters and find it quieter and more efficient than the roof top A/C units.

Guess that this may be the keeper since it looks like the industry has opted to do away with the basement air units .
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I think you will find that the basement air disappeared at the same time that DEF was required in the diesel pushers
Needed the space the basement a.c. took up so it was a trade off. That is why I am staying away from d.e.f. but also staying with my basement a.c. Triple digits outside and d.w. once told me "It is cold enough to hang beef in here."
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

With 30 amp service you only run one compressor, the other will only run with 50 amp. However the one compressor will do the job most of the time. We had ours worked on last Fall and parts were readily available.

I believe the reason they were dropped was because there wasn't enough demand and the manufacturer quit making them.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
With 30 amp service you only run one compressor, the other will only run with 50 amp. However the one compressor will do the job most of the time. We had ours worked on last Fall and parts were readily available.

I believe the reason they were dropped was because there wasn't enough demand and the manufacturer quit making them.
I'm sorry but I will have to disagree. With 30 Amp service you can run both compressors and also have the fan at high speed. You will see 24-28 amp draw depending on the ambient temperatures.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

I think you will that most ALL of the DPs have basement AC up until the 2011 Model Year. Some of the gassers did not, even before 2011.

I believe NONE of the WBGO coaches have basement AC starting with the 2011 models.

My answer to your second question is an emphatic NO.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
I'm sorry but I will have to disagree. With 30 Amp service you can run both compressors and also have the fan at high speed. You will see 24-28 amp draw depending on the ambient temperatures.
That may be technically correct, but it also assumes you will have almost no other electrical demand connected.....not even the converter, which isn't easy to disconnect.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I much prefer the basement A/C - quieter and efficient, and because I have allergies, I can buy the standard household high filtration filters that really clean the air. But floor plan should be your first consideration.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post

We visit relatives in Tucson, AZ during all seasons. 100 degrees plus and cool mornings in winter. The air conditioner runs both compressors using approximately 23 amps. The heat pump uses less. The basement air keeps the coach very comfortable. Note that I have a 32' + coach. From reading the forum larger coaches may have different results.

I have had zero problems in the 13 years of ownership. I did replace the bronze bearings with sealed ball bearings and the outside fan with an updated plastic fan.

Overall am very satisfied with basement air and would not let that be a major item when deciding on a new coach.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

We are in our 2nd RV with basement air. We like it and have never had any problems. IMHO basement air is quieter than the roof airs we had before. We would purchase another rig with basement air.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Your both correct! It depends on how the coach is wired.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof