Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

We had the basement air/heat pump in our 2001 Adventurer and much preferred it to the roof airs on our 2013 Adventurer. The basement air was much more powerful and quieter. There was no roof penetration and because of the overall lower height of the coach it would fit in a shorter garage and be less prone to low hanging branches. As for loss of storage room with the basement air, we never had a problem. There has always been extra room for storage in both our coaches. We aren't full timers, but we do go on extended trips that often exceed 3 months.

The main AC in our 2013 Adventurer is almost directly over the entertainment center. When on high cool the noise makes it almost impossible to hear the television or DVD player. The volume has to be so high all the neighbors can hear it.

While many seem to think the basement air was harder to service that wasn't out experience. Almost any residential AC technician can service it with commonly available parts.

The roof AC's on the other hand are almost a non serviceable item. One on our 2013 Adventurer doesn't want to go into the heat mode. It's been diagnosed as either a bad switching valve or a bad switching valve solenoid. The downside is no one (including the manufacturer or the Winnebago service center) wants to fix it. None of the authorized service stations either have the equipment or the knowledge to open the system and replace the switching valve if it needs to be done.

They all say the cost of fixing it will be more than half the price of a new unit and it isn't cost effective. Keep in mind this is a 2 year old unit with probably less than 50 hours use. The cost to replace it is over $1,600.00. It doesn't seem to be a good or cost effective plan to have to replace an air conditioner every 2 years.

In the 12 years we had our basement air the only thing it needed were a couple bearings on the fan motor. The total cost was less than $200.00.

As a side note when I talked to a factory technician he said it's highly unlikely that the switching valve has gone bad. Being only 2 years old and with limited use it's more likely the solenoid. He said he's never seen a valve go bad in under 10 years unless the unit was hit by something hard enough to break the shroud. Later this spring I'll remove the shroud and test the solenoid. Hopefully that's the only problem and the fix will be less than $50.00.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

To each his own, I won't push my opinion on you, but you asked for opinions

Our regular camping buddies have a Journey with basement air and when we are parked next to each other, WE can hear their basement air if we don't have our roof units running...
In fact, when we are sitting outside under the awning, it can be disturbing when it cranks up...

Truth be told though, the storage is their biggest complaint about it...
and we actually LIKE the constant white noise of the rooftop units over the cycling of the basement units... in the winter I will turn on a fan to drown out any sudden noises that would wake us...

As far as noise over the tv sound ? once at temp, I just turn the front unit so that it lets the rear units keep it at temp...
Merry Christmas !
Old 12-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
I'm sorry but I will have to disagree. With 30 Amp service you can run both compressors and also have the fan at high speed. You will see 24-28 amp draw depending on the ambient temperatures.
On your Monitoring panel it will tell you if compressor 2 is running. Unless it has been rewired your number two will not operate on 30 amp. It comes from the factory wired so that the second circuit that gives 50 amp runs number two.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Question. On your coaches that say that their number 2 compressor does not run when on 30 amp service. What year is your motorhome?
Old 12-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

02 Journey
Old 12-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

In my monitoring panel it indicates that they could run if needed. Not the actual status of the component.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Plug into 15 or 30 amp and see if the light comes on that shows the #2 compressor is powered. It only comes on when plugged into 50 amp in ours.

If your unit has been rewired so that both can run on 30 amp you may end up with low voltage which could damage the unit.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Plug into 15 or 30 amp and see if the light comes on that shows the #2 compressor is powered. It only comes on when plugged into 50 amp in ours.

If your unit has been rewired so that both can run on 30 amp you may end up with low voltage which could damage the unit.
I have an 02 Journey that has NOT been rewired and the wiring is factory. I run BOTH compressors when plug into 30 Amp. I still have 5 plus amps left to run other equipment.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:01 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
I have an 02 Journey that has NOT been rewired and the wiring is factory. I run BOTH compressors when plug into 30 Amp. I still have 5 plus amps left to run other equipment.
Same here...
Old 12-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Are you absolutely sure the second compressor is running? Can you hear it kick in separately?
Old 12-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

I guess I could be mistaken but I had ours worked on by a tech this Fall and that is what he told me. He said he had to hook up to 50 amps to test it properly or run the genset.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
On your Monitoring panel it will tell you if compressor 2 is running. Unless it has been rewired your number two will not operate on 30 amp. It comes from the factory wired so that the second circuit that gives 50 amp runs number two.
On our unit when plugged into 30 amp both compressors run. The draw is 25 - 27 amps. One compressor starts and after the start up load tapers off the 2nd compressor starts.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

We really like our basement air unit. MH builders stopped using them for a variety of reasons; that space became used for engine filters, emissions equipment, etc.
Our 5er had 2 roof units, noisy but effective.
I would not let the presence of either deter me from purchasing a new RV.

Quote:

Our MH(see sig) runs both compressors when on 30A, BUT, the automatic load shedding feature cuts off #2 compressor(there are 4 appliances connected to load shedding) when total load reaches 80% of breaker capacity. That means if ANYTHING else is on shore power, #2 is cut-off, as it tops the list. The list may be re-configured if desired.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Are you absolutely sure the second compressor is running? Can you hear it kick in separately?

100% sure.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

OK, guess I was misinformed.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by denk View Post
I'm starting to look for a late model Winnebago diesel pusher and would like to know:
1-What years and models have Basement HVAC units?
2-Would you have a basement unit on your next RV?

I presently have a 2010 Aspect 30C with a roof unit.
I know I am coming in late to this discussion. I believe Winnebago went all roof HVAC in '11.

I had an '05 Vectra. I was not pleased with the basement A/C. It didn't keep us cool in 90*+ temps and we had some duct issues with it.

We have roof A/C on this rig. It works very well in keeping us warm in temps in the mid 30's and cooling has never been a problem. Noise is a major problem. The units sound like a jet engine at takeoff. It is too bad Winnebago didn't do a better job with the design of the roof ducts. Another help would be for the A/C units to have a better speed control on the fan. You can hardly tell the difference between the high and low speeds.

Other than the A/C noise issue, we are very pleased with our rig.

Rick Y
Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

We had problems with the basement AC/heat Pump unit. Winnebago replaced a compressor and that still did not fix it. The same compressor was replaced and it still did not fix it. We finally took it to a guy in Shipshewana Indiana. He took it out and had it on a cart on the floor in his building. Someone put in a wrong size run or start capacitor and the system was not purged properly before it was completed. We could have had it repaired but when we found out that new units were still being manufactured we opted for a replacement. We had a two year warrenty on it and as of this time it runs really great.

We dont have an issue with noise in the bedroom when it is running and in the front area of the coach all you hear is the cool or warm air coming out of the ducts. With regards to the filter we were told to buy the cheapest air filters avaliable. The expensive ones with all the "features" on them will restrict the air flow. We just check the air filters every so often and replace as needed.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Love the basement unit, as far as storage it's back next to the engine so storage compartment would only be about 30" to 36" deep anyway. Now space is needed for def.
I will say this...we were in the keys, 90 degrees during the day with only 1 basement unit running nonstop, if it quit we were definetly heading home! But it worked perfectly so all was good.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

My 02 Adventure that IS wired for 30 amps has run both
compressors for 14 yrs. BUT if your coach is wired for
50 amps, it will have to be connected to 50 amps.
Maybe that is where the confusion is?

My friend has a gas Newmar with 2 roof airs, that blows
into air ducts in the overhead. The Newmar is quieter
than my basement air, or my previous roof airs that
were NOT ducted.............coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopcolt View Post
My 02 Adventure that IS wired for 30 amps has run both
compressors for 14 yrs. BUT if your coach is wired for
50 amps, it will have to be connected to 50 amps.
Maybe that is where the confusion is?

My friend has a gas Newmar with 2 roof airs, that blows
into air ducts in the overhead. The Newmar is quieter
than my basement air, or my previous roof airs that
were NOT ducted.............coopcolt
My 02 Journey is a 50 amp coach. When plugged into a 30 amp pedestal (using a dog bone) BOTH my compressors will run using approximately 24 amps. IF any other heavy loads (example, electric water heater, micro wave) kicks in, the automatic load sharing device will shed compressor #2 till the additional loads stop. After a short period of time the 2nd compressor will restart.

If your coach is wired for 50 amp but plug into a 30 amp pedestal you can run both compressors as long one or more of the heavy draw appliances is not running.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof